XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How to remove the bonnet/hood X300

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the bonnet/hood X300

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of trying desperately to cut off all the rusted bolts that hold the slam panel in place, so i can replace the radiator rubbers.

This would be made a hell of a lot easier if i could remove the bonnet/hood.
I also have a replacement bonnet to fit anyway, as my old one has very bad laquer peel - so it makes sense to do the swap.

How do i go about removing the bonnet?
Thanks all!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by thorpyuk
Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of trying desperately to cut off all the rusted bolts that hold the slam panel in place, so i can replace the radiator rubbers.

This would be made a hell of a lot easier if i could remove the bonnet/hood.
I also have a replacement bonnet to fit anyway, as my old one has very bad laquer peel - so it makes sense to do the swap.

How do i go about removing the bonnet?
Thanks all!
I haven't taken mine off but I've examined how it comes off and I think this is how it goes....

It looks like the easiest way would be life up the hood, on the drivers side, there are three bolts that hold the hinge onto the hold itself, look for the one with some sort of ground wire and undo that one to take the wire off but leave all other bolts in place. You can even put the bolt back in place.
Now place the hood down but don't close it. Remove the grill and inside towards the top you will see the other side of the of hinge assembly that you took the ground wire off of. Undo these bolts and the whole hood should be free from the rest of the car.
Let me know how this works for you since like I said, I haven't had a need to take mine off but I've examined how to do it in the past.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I haven't taken mine off but I've examined how it comes off and I think this is how it goes....

It looks like the easiest way would be life up the hood, on the drivers side, there are three bolts that hold the hinge onto the hold itself, look for the one with some sort of ground wire and undo that one to take the wire off but leave all other bolts in place. You can even put the bolt back in place.
Now place the hood down but don't close it. Remove the grill and inside towards the top you will see the other side of the of hinge assembly that you took the ground wire off of. Undo these bolts and the whole hood should be free from the rest of the car.
Let me know how this works for you since like I said, I haven't had a need to take mine off but I've examined how to do it in the past.
I arrived at that same conclusion last year about this time when it was time to remove mine for installtion of my Christmas Present, a Gonzo Hoodliner. We are both WRONG!

**DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!!!"**

Get a mate to support the other side - yeah AlbB's first step is exactly right, remove the ground wire - you can do this solo. After that, recruit someone to man the opposite side and remove the three hinge-to-hood fixings on either side, then lift-and-carry to suitable stowage.

The problem with the prior method is that the hinges won't clear the front structure after you have them unbolted and are ready to lift off the hood. You have to raise the hood and loosen the hood-to-hinge bolts enough to let the hinges slide in the adjustment slots anyway before you can get it off. Meaning....you have to bolt them back down somewhat in front in order to raise the hood to loosen the others. Save yourself the extra work and alignment nightmare (mine's not quite right yet, even - though it will open/close/latch now)

"Do like I say...not like I do!" https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dliner-101298/

Last edited by aholbro1; 07-21-2014 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlbBolivar (07-24-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 AM

Thanks guys - do the gas struts just pull out?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 680 Posts

Thanks guys - do the gas struts just pull out?
No, the gas struts have a metal clip around each end that you prise off first. Then the end comes right off the metal stud. Be careful not to lose the clip because they can fly off in any direction!

Great advice for removing the bonnet Mr. Holbro! How are you liking that hoodliner? I'm sure you've seen that sadly, Gonzo just passed away earlier this month.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Great advice for removing the bonnet Mr. Holbro! How are you liking that hoodliner? I'm sure you've seen that sadly, Gonzo just passed away earlier this month.
No! I missed that. So sorry to hear that.

The hoodliner is first-rate. Really like it.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 AM

Thanks guys - so, Aholbro, it seems like you suggest removing the hinge nuts that attach directly to the bonnet itself - not the ones that attach the hinges to the body?

Also, is it easy to remove the front grille - if so how?
Thanks guys, really appreciate your help

Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm glad someone else chimed in here. Saves the OP time and proves me wrong. I was hoping the only two person job for removing the hood/bonnet would be the actual lifting it off of the car

Also to remove the grill...
In the top section of the grill you should see 2 small screws that hold the actual "grill" part onto the grill surround. Remove those to expose the 4 10mm bolts/or star screws (I've seen x300's with both fasteners for the grill surround) and the grill should come off after that.

Last edited by AlbBolivar; 07-24-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys - so, Aholbro, it seems like you suggest removing the hinge nuts that attach directly to the bonnet itself - not the ones that attach the hinges to the body?
Yes. AlbBo is correct, when you look at it, you think, "Hey, if I disconnect that ground wire, pop the struts off and lay it down real easy-like without latching it...I can do everything necessary to pull it off myself...only have to go recruit someone to help lifting it off." A great plan that falls woefully short in execution. But it still looks like a great plan until you've assembled your crew to help lift it off - that's when you realize it is an epic fail instead.
Also, is it easy to remove the front grille - if so how?
Thanks guys, really appreciate your help
I have the VDP with vertical slats, so have never had a problem getting a torx driver at those 4 screws holding the whole mess on - though I admit getting them started on re-assembly is a bit tricky.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 AM

Thanks for your help guys.
I've managed to swap the bonnet over! The only problem now is that closing it is rather a task as you have to close the near-side part down (which requires a bit of 'jiggling') and then push the other side down. It also sits very slightly proud on the drivers side.
What's the best way of tweaking the alignment? (Or should i just put up with it as it wasn't made for the car, and it looks great still)

Thanks!