XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How to remove interior and exterior parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove interior and exterior parts?

Hi I need to remove some parts from a 1996 VDP to put them on my car, but I am a bit unsure how to remove them...

FOR THE INTERIORL I want to remove the wood overhead console (with sunroof controls), the gearshift leather trim and center console./skislope wood, the wood rear center console/tray that sits on the driveshaft hump, and the seatbacks that have the wood tables on them.

FOR THE EXTERIOR: I want to remove the chrome side mirror covers, fog lights, grille , headlights and tailights and antenna. Also the bumper covers if they are easy.

Can anyone help me or direct me to a manual that has removal instructions? I dont want to break all the mounting tabs trying to remove these parts, and I dont see any exposed screws/bolts so I dont know how to remove this stuff.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for the INTERIOR:

-overhead console: open the sunglasses holder and you'll see the quarter-turn screw in there, turn it a quarter-turn & pull back and the entire console will come loose. the disconnect the plug, and it's out.

-rear center console: take a knife/screwdriver, pop the wood out from the rear/side of the console, and you'll see one or two phillips head screws holding the console to the floor. remove those & unplug the plug, & that comes out.

-center skislope: for this to come out, the wood ashtray must also be removed, so begin with removing the two phillips head screws found at the front of the center armrest when opened. be cautious not to break the tabs at the front of the ashtray when removing. it should slide back and out, and once out, the small thin black plastic trim piece will also come out. I do not remember/think that there are any screws holding the actual skislope in place, so with a little bit of pulling/prying it should come free. once that is out, the leather gearshift surround will become obvious.

as far as the picnic tables, I've never personally removed them, and therefore have no idea.

for the EXTERIOR:

fog lights: refer to earlier post labeled "Need Help Please" started by MTZGR777

grille: chrome flutes must first be removed, upon visual inspection, you will find 4 screws (two on top, two on bottom) for each fluted section, after these are removed, two screws on either side, torx if I'm not mistaken, must be removed, after that the grille will come free.

tail lamps: from inside the trunk, remove the black plastic covers, remove the bulb circuit boards with the quarter-turn fastener, then remove the 3 or 4 (don't remember off hand) 10mm nuts that hold the tail lamps on. then you have tail lamps.

head lamps: this procedure depends on whether you want just the headlamps, or headlamps including bracket. regardless, begin with removing the trim surround that resides around the headlamps. remove the single torx screw at the top, and gently pull outwards from the bottom. the headlamps themselves are removed with a good pull of the assembly, you most likely WILL have to put some *** behind it, as the assemblies are probably nice & stuck onto the adjusting studs holding them onto the bracket. but they just pull off. If you don't want the bracket, stop here. if you want the bracket, then look for the 4 mounting bolts/nuts on each corner of the bracket that should now be accessible. remove those, and remove your bracket.

antenna: this will be rather difficult, tricky, PITA, etc. to remove without being able to get power to the radio. a small open end wrench(forgot what size) is needed to remove the retaining nut at the base of the mast, power the radio on, let the mast raise, and continue pulling as it nears the end, and the plastic toothed cable will follow the mast out. after this, pull back the carpet in the trunk and remove the motor assembly and its associated fasteners. (memory escapes me as to the dimensions, count, etc.) you may be able to remove the entire assembly if the antenna is in its retracted position at time of disassembly by just removing the retaining nut on the outside of the car, but don't quote me on that.

I've only ever replaced the entire mirror assemblies, so I am unfamiliar with removing the covers. but to remove the mirrors, pop off the little black plastic triangles on the inside of the doors, & remove the one big torx bolt and unplug the plug and the mirror comes off.

the bumpers themselves are removed quite easily, however the bumper covers themselves, are a big pain. chrome trim has to come off, which is removed by the screws on the inside of the bumper, but with the bumpers off, (two 19mm bolts on the underside to remove) it will be rather self explanatory as to how the covers come off, it just takes a bit of time/patience.

cheers & good luck to you

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (05-25-2018)
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks pancho!'

I also need to remove the hood ornament..any tips?

I looked into the hood, there is only a small access to under the hood and I cant see what kind of tool to use in there...its hard to reach too....

Is it hard to remove the ornament unless the hood is off and upside down?

Any help appreciated.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi there, I am also looking to remove my door rocker panels and carpet etc... I was to remove the entire interior so that I can install a new stereo system. I have been searching around but can not find a thread where someone is removing the entire interior. Any help would be greatly appreciated (1996 XJR)

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Skislope, fog lights and perhaps others are covered in the "how to" stickies at the top of the forum. VDP Seatbacks are covered with pics in one of my seat posts that is linked at the bottom of post #1 here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...18/#post791959

Aaron, I don't know about a how-to for the entire interior, but there are posts in here with pics showing the interior with all the seats and panels removed, just the insulation and such left, and also, I think it is a separate thread, one showing the body shell stripped to bare metal inside. Perhaps they will have enough info to get you by.

Last edited by aholbro1; 05-25-2018 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The mirror front colored cover pops off by getting under the grove between the cover and the back surrounds . There are some friction gripping post and some 90 degree clips that may break when removing so keep track of the broken clips and re glue with JB weld before reassembly .

Be very careful when removing the gear column plastic as they are very brittle

The are 2 upside down wingnuts under the back edge of the ski sloop .

The fogs come out from the front with about 2 , 1 inch tabs a flashlight is required to see them .

Seat backs have 2 Philips screws for each seat on the very bottom lip , Then remove the 4 hinge bolts pointing fwd .

If you are putting picnic tables on a seat that did not have tables reply back as the installation fits but there is other work to do so . Don't know about XJR seats if different

Mark the headlight before removing because I got lost .The headlight are best to pop out of there pall engagement after spraying with oil penetrate less the pall ends snap off . Then use a large screwdrive on that flat spot on the lens side less that post will break off from the curvature .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 05-25-2018 at 08:15 PM.