XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I smell.....gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I smell.....gasoline?

I noticed that after driving my car around for a few and then turning it off I smell gas. Not normal gas either, almost like it is running a little rich. Any thoughts?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM

I would, just for safety sake make sure you have don't have any fuel or exhaust leaks. Check your tail pipe with your finger and see the composition of the soot---heavy black and a little wet it could be rich. I checked mine today and it also seems a little rich.
Scott

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a gas smell after driving. Not to bad though. It smells when you open the trunk. I think whatever it is, it makes the cel come on every 1000 miles or so.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Received 10,540 Likes on 6,961 Posts

As you say, "not raw fuel, like rich running" is a little less of a concern than raw fuel, BUT still needs to be sorted, unless it is an XJ-S fuel smells are a big NO NO.

Check under the bonnet (hood) and make REAL SURE you got no leaks, BBQ Jag tastes awful.

Look under the rear LH side at the fuel filter, and make sure there is no leak in that area or the unions to the filter.

If the smell is in the boot (trunk) then check the area around the fuel tank sender unit, the o/ring seal may be old enough to "weep" fumes.

A clogged, or just plain old, air filter element can cause rich running which will give that smell from the exhaust pipe/s.

I read at times that overfilling the fuel tank on US market cars is NOT a good idea, dunno, I am down here, we got different emission stuff.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm i have i wage thought about this..

You have a carbon canister where the gas fumes from the gas tank goes out from. And if i dont remember wrong it sits infront of the rightside rear wheel could it be this youre smelling ??

But certainly check for leaks.

If the car runns fine i dont think the mixture is rich. Does this perhaps happen when you drive the car a short distance that could be the fact though.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jaggachafen
If the car runns fine i dont think the mixture is rich. Does this perhaps happen when you drive the car a short distance that could be the fact though.
The car does run fine but yes it happens most when I drive short distances. I feel like I might be losing a few MPGs with this problem though.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine s cold it uses more fuel both the heat the engine and getting it going but also to warm up the catalyst.

It´s not very nidce to the car to have it driven short distances.... Walk instead

But are you sure it´s not vapour from the gastank you are smelling ???