XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Ignition coils

I have located a set of Ignition coils on ebay that look to be a very good price. But I know some after market units are not so good. Does anyone have experience with this brand?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300625709915?...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks,

EZDriver X300 1995

Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two of these in my car and they are great so far. They are also said to be OEM quality by the distributor. When I pulled them out they looked almost the same as the OEM, and had the made in Japan stickers.

1997 Jaguar XJ6 OE Aftermarket Direct Ignition Coil - Buy W0133-1600012 Direct Ignition Coil Online

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts

No experience with that brand personally.

A fuell set for $195? I know that price alone doesn't always guarantee quality...or lack of quality....but I'd be very skeptical.

OEM Lucas replacements are about $900/set. The $60/each Beck Arnley coils I bought have been very troublesome.

Cheers

DD

EZDriver (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by l3uddha
I have two of these in my car and they are great so far.

How long is "so far" ?

They are also said to be OEM quality by the distributor.

Heh heh. I hope it's true.

When's the last time you saw a vendor/distributor/manufacturer say "Our parts are inferior to OEM" ?

:-)

Cheers
DD

EZDriver (07-15-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I purchased these exact ones for my car about 2 months ago and so far they're still working great. They're Lucas brand which are the same ones in 2 other Jags my family has (95 XJS and 97 X330). So I think they are OEM quality.

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I purchased these exact ones .

The ones mentoned in post #1 or post #2 ?

Cheers
DD

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The ones mentoned in post #1 or post #2 ?

Cheers
DD
Woops I didn't realize there was a link in the second post but it was for the ones mentioned in the first post.

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

I contacted the company in post #1 and asked who made the coils. The answer was that they were made by their company overseas by a top auto manfacturer in China, Korea or Japan. That would match with the information in the other posts that found them to be Lucas brand and made in Japan. I have just purchased a set and will let you know what they look like when I get them. I probably won't install them right away. We are planning a road trip in Sept and I wanted a few spare parts like this to take with me just in case. I have also asked about warrantee but have not gotten an answer yet.

Stay tuned. I'll get back. Sure would be great to have some companies make after market parts that are OE quality at a much lower price. Now if we can just get someone to make cam covers out of aluminum.

EZDriver 1995 X300

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Lhe1510ab coils

Hello all, I know I have posted this before, but the coils must be OEM since they are Jaguar specific....Jaguar specific, meaning they can not be copied by an aftermarket supplier...The original "Lucas" labeled coils where made by a company called "Diamond" in Japan. Currently "Diamond" distributes the OEM coils without the "Lucas" label to a company called Autobray which in turn distributes the coils under the "Eurospare" brand..…in short coils sold under the "Eurospare" brand are original coils. They cost between 100-150 dollars depending on who is selling them. They have the "Made in Japan" label. Diamond may distribute the coils to other
Companies, but "Eurospare" is the only one I am completely certain to be an original coil.

I know all this because I went the cheap 60 dollar coil route on my AJ16 XJS and bought some Korean "Prenco" coils only to find that they all failed within a year. If you have aftermarket coils, they will fail

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

I guess there is a lot of disagreement on this subject. There can't be anything overly complicated about the coils. All they are is a capacitor. What is so delicate about that. And what is so important about original parts. Jaguar doesn't make 99% of the parts on their cars. There is always a sub making the parts. Who says a second sub can't make a part as good or better than the original sub.

Personally I'm a little fed up with Jaguar trying to make a killing on parts they didn't do a good job on in the first place. The biggest example of this is the cam covers being made out of magnesium. I'll bet they were licking their chops about all the money they were going to make replacing those that fell apart over the years. That was totally inexcusable to use magnesium.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EZDriver
I guess there is a lot of disagreement on this subject.

Not that I'm aware of

There can't be anything overly complicated about the coils. All they are is a capacitor. What is so delicate about that.

Nothing particularly delicate or special ....yet many manufacturers fail to deliver a quality product

And what is so important about original parts. Jaguar doesn't make 99% of the parts on their cars. There is always a sub making the parts.

We know. But not all parts are the same quality

Who says a second sub can't make a part as good or better than the original sub.

Not me. I know many of them do make a quality aftermarket replacement part. And I know many of them don't.

As far as X300 coils go, though, there is mounting evidence over the last 2-3 years that aftermarket replacements are a very iffy proposition. When genuine Jaguar coils last 10-12-15 years and aftermarket replacement last a few months, that oughta tell ya something :-)

Personally I'm a little fed up with Jaguar trying to make a killing on parts they didn't do a good job on in the first place.

Fair enough. Just try to make sure that what you buy to replace the Jaguar stuff really IS better. Sometimes it isn't :-)

Cheers
DD

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug. I just get a little pi..ed at Jag for holding up owners of their cars with prices for parts that are way out of reason. Maybe that is why their sales are down as much as they are. Out of reason parts prices causes large depreciation especially out of reason. New car buyers aren't dummies.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I'm in Arizona at the moment and won't be back home until Wednesday night, I'll try to get a picture of the same coils in post #1 and show you guys what they look like and what SKU#'s are on there.

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks Doug. I just get a little pi..ed at Jag for holding up owners of their cars with prices for parts that are way out of reason. Maybe that is why their sales are down as much as they are. Out of reason parts prices causes large depreciation especially out of reason. New car buyers aren't dummies.

I have to agree with you to some degree. I went aftermarket on the coils and replaced the replaced coil with the same replacement coil. The other five are still original. Good thing I had a spare. Anyway, my point in agreeing with you is that I need a idler pulley for my A/C belt. That thing is a plastic pulley with a bearing on it. Not that hard to make and not that expensive to sell. Jagbits has the thing for $53. Outrageous. I didn't bother with dealer price. I have switched brands to Land Rover and those prices are within reason. My favorite example is the center caps. Those worn faded center caps that Jag sold over the past ten years cost up to $50 each. BS. The Rover caps are never over $25. That is a little high but not like Jag. I just cannot believe it. I wouldn't go so far as to say Jag is in trouble but it is definitely worth them looking at the price gouging that is going on. And don't blame the dealers, Jag sets the prices for parts even retail prices. My 2 cents.

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

I think that the drive train on the AJ16 Jaguars is of exceptional quality, of course it has it weak points such as the magnesium cam cover, but the 95-97 x300 and 95-96 XJS where much better than other vehicles in their same class, including the Asian "luxury" brands from Toyota and Honda.

As far as the parts are concerned, the only reason I mention original coils is not because I am a "purist" but because the aftermarket coils are not made like the OEM kind they are Jaguar specific, meaning they are designed specifically for the car, this was explained to me by a member of this forum who was an engineer at Jaguar.....time and time again owners who think they are saving a whole 30 dollars per coil versus buying OEM end up paying for their aftermarket coil as well as for a new OEM. Once you have been working on these cars for a while you learn that things like aftermarket electronics or cooling hoses are inferior to OEM quality, and likewise that things like aftermarket shocks or cooling fans can be superior to original parts. Just passing on what I have learned. Proceed at your discretion.

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Believe me, I'm not unsympathetic....but high parts are not hurting Jaguar any more than they hurt MB, BMW, Audi, Volvo, Cadillac, etc., IMHO

Cheers
DD

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
And don't blame the dealers, Jag sets the prices for parts even retail prices. My 2 cents.

Unless Jaguar has some very unusual franchise requirements, I disagree. The dealer can sell the parts for whatever he darn well pleases. The dealer buys them from Jaguar and they become his property. He can give those $50 wheel caps away for free or he can (try to) get $100 each for them.

But, yes, some factory parts are stupid-expensive...beyond all reason... and even the amount the dealer pays for them is more than they're worth relative to similar parts from other manufacturers.

OTOH, thanks to broad aftermarket support, a great many Jaguar parts are very affordable....more so, often times, than other cars of the same class.

If its makes anyone feel better I'll mention that on Thursday I'm picking up a 1995 Ferrari (not mine) from a repair shop in Seattle. Change all fluids and filters, replace plugs, replace battery, and replace one rear wheel bearing. Any guesses on the bill? $18,084.36 ! New spark plugs solved the misfire....which is a good thing. I thought it needed plug wires which are $2700 for the set.

Everything is relative :-)

Cheers
DD

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

But, yes, some factory parts are stupid-expensive...beyond all reason... and even the amount the dealer pays for them is more than they're worth relative to similar parts from other manufacturers.

DD
That was more of less my point in my head, just didn't come out that way. Dealers do set final prices but they get a price tape from the manufacturer to set their cost on parts. It is up to the dealer to set final prices. Many times there is double markup on parts. I saw it with BMW and Jag. Thanks for the heads up on my error.

EZDriver (07-18-2012)
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

*edited*
Sorry, I dont know how to erase the post.
I automatically redirected to this page... I was to post in another thread.

Last edited by Japthug; 09-07-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: posted in a wrong thread