XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I'm a little overwhelmed:exhausts and mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question I'm a little overwhelmed:exhausts and mufflers

Hey jagforums! I've been looking into getting a little extra noise out of my xj6 (4.0l straight 6), and I want to do it through the mufflers.

I've done a lot of sifting on here, and I keep getting more and more confused. I looked up the exhaust diagrams on the service manual, it it appears that there are 2 smaller mufflers/resonators ahead of each of the back 2 mufflers. Is that correct?

Next, I want to know what I can do to increase the sound to something loud, but without a drone that sounds like a tractor and without setting off alarms on my street.

At first I was look at getting a set of glasspacks for my rear mufflers, until I found out about the resonators. Now I'm confused.

would it do me better to get the glasspacks to replace the resonators and get a separate type of muffler for the back 2? Would that be too loud? I don't want to drop too too much on mufflers alone ($150 max, but I've been looking at cheaper 30$ glasspacks so far).

I'm also confused and conflicted on how to install them. I realize that it isn't as simple as bolting it on, and that I need to do some cutting. This is not something I want to tackle on my own, but at the same time I don't want to pay $300 to have a mechanic install them. What would be a decent price to pay for labor if I pay to have them installed?

Finally, what diameter is the exhaust piping? I can't find a solid answer for the x300, and it definitely seems important for what I want to have done.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Almost an exhaust shop should be able to help you out with your questions and installation but I went through exactly what you're asking with both my XJ6 and XJR.

In the XJ6 I had the exhaust piping replaced from the secondary cats back and the two resonators removed but kept the mufflers. The sound was nice but not loud enough for my taste. So I replaced the mufflers with some Aero Turbine straight through mufflers. It was nice sounding at first but got kind of obnoxious after while and the drone was terrible.
Once I got the XJR, I moved the Aero Mufflers to it and moved the two factory resonators and two factory mufflers over to the XJ6. For awhile I liked the sound on the XJR but droned A LOT on cruising on the freeway (With the diff gearing the engine note was different driving 70mph with the XJR compared to the XJ6). I eventually got a resonator put into the XJR and now I love the sound. The exhaust "loudness" is still there but it's pretty quiet in the cabin.

Here is a link to a tunnel video I made just a few days ago with the XJR. Even with my exhaust the supercharger wine is still there.

The following 2 users liked this post by AlbBolivar:
baskervillema (10-01-2015), Don B (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info! I think I'll keep the stock resonators and try some single chamber mufflers on the rear, and go from there.

Do you by chance remember the diameter of your exhaust? It sounds like you swapped them a bit, so I'm going to assume the Xj6 is 2.5in then.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the diameter is actually 2.25in. My aero turbine mufflers are 2.5 and I remember my exhaust guy had to widen out my pipes to fit them.

But yeah its a good idea to keep the resonators in or get mufflers with built in one's. The raspiness of the aj16 at high revs makes it sound like a Honda honestly.

The following users liked this post:
baskervillema (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Well, thanks for your help! I'm 90% sure what I'm doing now, I just need to pick a muffler that I like