Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey, I know that picture ;-)

Nice one!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I can't think where from. lol

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine....in it's usual parking spot after I get home from work (it's my daily driver)...

Attached Thumbnails Instant Photo Shoot Thread for X300's: Post a Pic As It Sits-img_3993a.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
2015 XJR L (02-12-2024)
Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Damn, that X30X body... How does it age so well? And none of their subsequent designs can hold a candle to it.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is how my Jag was sitting a month ago

Attached Thumbnails Instant Photo Shoot Thread for X300's: Post a Pic As It Sits-jag.jpg  
2015 XJR L (02-13-2024)
Old 07-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have only had it a couple of weeks, finally it's semi-clean, good enough for a photo at least! Sorry about the camera-phone picture too.

Attached Thumbnails Instant Photo Shoot Thread for X300's: Post a Pic As It Sits-xj6.jpg  
2015 XJR L (02-12-2024)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by zathras
Sorry about the camera-phone picture too.
Oh please, you know how well that one turned out. It looks like an official promo shot! Where are those broken pillars?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Oh please, you know how well that one turned out. It looks like an official promo shot! Where are those broken pillars?
Thanks. I lost the light before I could get my big camera set up, sadly

The pillars are by the Hamilton Gardens. I didn't have time to park by the really cool looking ones but will go back and try another day

Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

Zathras, it looks great.
You need some Asteroids now!
Have you considered losing the big black number plate back-base and getting a self-adhesive number plate made? I did this and prefer it... I got it made 90% of normal size, and the front of my car looks better. Hard sticking it on straight though.
Not strictly legal, but shouldn't be a major drama..

by the way, that's not Greg Beacham's old car is it? He knocks around in a gold X300, but his guys at Beachams told me they were going to wreck it and sell the parts...

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by AL NZ
Zathras, it looks great.
Have you considered losing the big black number plate back-base and getting a self-adhesive number plate made? I did this and prefer it... I got it made 90% of normal size, and the front of my car looks better. Hard sticking it on straight though.
Not strictly legal, but shouldn't be a major drama..

by the way, that's not Greg Beacham's old car is it? He knocks around in a gold X300, but his guys at Beachams told me they were going to wreck it and sell the parts...
I bought it from a lawyer in Auckland who had it for a few years. So probably not that guy from Beachams. Wheels will have to wait until I have caught up on some maintenance it needs. I will look into the number plate thing as its hideous currently

Cheers

Chris

Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 AM

Zathras/Chris,
Have you found a good Jag mechanic in Hamilton? There was a guy in Ham East from memory, called something like Old Timer or Classic garage, I think - he might be OK. The older Jags can be better served by a non-dealer mechanic familiar with the older models, often a lower hourly rate. I am lucky in Napier with Mark Yates - if you need someone, you could phone him at Yates Automotive and ask for advice.

What needs doing on your car?

My 3.2 is certainly perkier with Andy Stoddart's crank sensor bracket - advances the spark by 5 degrees, gives a bit more power but better midrange and car happy on BP's 98 petrol with this.
I also put a K&N pod filter on yesterday - also a little bit more oomph under max throttle, and a lovely induction noise when the boot is buried - quiet at part throttle.

I am thinking of getting Blue Dorward, mechanic in Hastings here, to remove catalytic convertor and make twin pipes from the manifold back to the gearbox where it divides again - this should give a bit more mid-range torque. Blue worked for TWR so knows a few tricks, and ran the TWR Bathurst campaign in 1984 where the XJSes came 1st & 3rd.

Let me know what your maintenance plans are - I am interested,

cheers, Al, Napier

Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 AM

Zathras/Chris,
Have you found a good Jag mechanic in Hamilton? There was a guy in Ham East from memory, called something like Old Timer or Classic garage, I think - he might be OK. The older Jags can be better served by a non-dealer mechanic familiar with the older models, often a lower hourly rate. I am lucky in Napier with Mark Yates - if you need someone, you could phone him at Yates Automotive and ask for advice.

What needs doing on your car?

My 3.2 is certainly perkier with Andy Stoddart's crank sensor bracket - advances the spark by 5 degrees, gives a bit more power but better midrange and car happy on BP's 98 petrol with this.
I also put a K&N pod filter on yesterday - also a little bit more oomph under max throttle, and a lovely induction noise when the boot is buried - quiet at part throttle.

I am thinking of getting Blue Dorward, mechanic in Hastings here, to remove catalytic convertor and make twin pipes from the manifold back to the gearbox where it divides again - this should give a bit more mid-range torque. Blue worked for TWR so knows a few tricks, and ran the TWR Bathurst campaign in 1984 where the XJSes came 1st & 3rd.

Let me know what your maintenance plans are - I am interested,

cheers, Al, Napier
I haven't had much of a look locally yet, hoping to avoid the dealers so if your mate knew someone that would be excellent news. I honestly don't know what if anything needs doing until I get someone to go through it properly but there might be a bit of a clunk from the rear over bumps which I did not notice on my test drive. Also it seems to be slowly seeping fluids, there was a small drop of green fluid on the driveway yesterday although it's full of green fluid so it can't be leaking too badly. I also need to replace the engine fans as they are a bit noisy and run constantly, I assume fan switch or relay. Also I can't run a dashcam or charge my phone because I have no cigarette lighters and I failed epically at identifying the fault.

I think once I get it tidied up I will just change the oil and service it properly every few months. I like your idea of the K&N too...

I have done one thing so far - I replaced the headlight bulbs with Repco Plus 90 bulbs. Terrifyingly bright! One of the connectors was loose and looked to have been arcing so I fixed that while I was in there. Good thing too, would hate for my car to catch fire!

I do plan to put the crank bracket mod on, but I need to attend to the other stuff first I think

I don't want to clutter up this thread with my problems so I am happy if you want to pm me and we can talk offline...

Cheers

Chris

P.S. this is zathras: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zathras

Last edited by zathras; 07-29-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 AM

I don't want to state the obvious, but is the air con always on, and causing the fans to run?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 AM

I don't want to state the obvious, but is the air con always on, and causing the fans to run?
I did try turning the aircon off and it made no difference. Quite honestly I am not sure I mind them running all the time, it's better than not running at all, but the fans sound hideous. I have lined up a supposedly good set so when I have some cash I will swap them out and see how we go

Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

domino waiting for its next ride out

Attached Images  
2015 XJR L (02-12-2024)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 PM

Good luck finding a set of those on this rock.

...there might be a bit of a clunk from the rear over bumps which I did not notice on my test drive.
I'd be surprised if you got an X300 that didn't have some degree of that rear-end clunk. Both of ours are severe clunkers (so to speak), and haven't got around to addressing it yet.

Originally Posted by trucknetjack

domino waiting for its next ride out
The inserts look fine too me. I actually quite like it sometimes. That would be the standard colouring on an XJ-Sport which is exactly what that car looks like between that, the lack of bright trim and the Dimple wheels. Does it have the sport interior too?

Last edited by Oubadah; 08-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 AM

I'd be surprised if you got an X300 that didn't have some degree of that rear-end clunk. Both of ours are severe clunkers (so to speak), and haven't got around to addressing it yet.
Good to know. To be honest, most of the time it doesn't clunk, and now I fixed my cigarette lighter so I have power for my iphone, I am pretty much the happiest X300 driver in this town I would say. What a freakin awesome car they are!

I did manage to get mine sideways in the wet recently when I was too enthusiastic on the throttle around a small roundabout, and I think they go sideways more like a small ocean liner than a car. Maybe it's because mine is a LWB ??

Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 AM

Good to know. To be honest, most of the time it doesn't clunk, and now I fixed my cigarette lighter so I have power for my iphone, I am pretty much the happiest X300 driver in this town I would say. What a freakin awesome car they are!

I did manage to get mine sideways in the wet recently when I was too enthusiastic on the throttle around a small roundabout, and I think they go sideways more like a small ocean liner than a car. Maybe it's because mine is a LWB ??
Didn't even notice the LWB at that angle. That's another thing I love about the X300 body, the X330 somehow it pulls off those extra 6 inches without any real impact on the car's aesthetics. And the extra interior space really makes a world of difference, as any SWB passenger can attest!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 AM

Didn't even notice the LWB at that angle. That's another thing I love about the X300 body, the X330 somehow it pulls off those extra 6 inches without any real impact on the car's aesthetics. And the extra interior space really makes a world of difference, as any SWB passenger can attest!
I have sat in the back of this thing and it is definitely an LWB...

Attached Thumbnails Instant Photo Shoot Thread for X300's: Post a Pic As It Sits-xj6side.jpg  
2015 XJR L (02-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Instant Photo Shoot Thread for X300's: Post a Pic As It Sits