XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Intermittent Dash Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Intermittent Dash Lights?

Every since I picked up my project X300 a couple weeks ago, I've not had any dash lights. It now remains as the single issue I've yet to successfully find a solution to. I'll detail everything I've tried to date.

1. I checked every single fuse in both the left & right side rear heel boards. The only defective one was for the cigarette lighter (so fixed that issue)

2. I replaced a burned out fog lamb since a couple times in my readings on the matter it was mentioned that a non-working running light could potentially cause loss of dash illumination. I've now a functional fog lamp, but still no dash lights.

3. I replaced both the illumination module & steering column dimmer switch without success. It should be noted that when the dimmer is rotated to the full on position (after the "click") the lighting on the climate controls, as well as the backlighting on the stereo brighten to full-on, which leads me to believe both the illumination module & dimmer switch are functioning properly.

4. I'd read a comment that the antiglare adjustment for the rearview mirror had some affect on dash illumination, so I disassembled the mirror to see what was afoot inside. About the only thing I discovered was the "slider" had not been reassembled properly by whoever last took the mirror apart, which explained why the slider had no resistance. I correctly reassembled the mirror, but the now functioning slider adjustment had no effect on solving the dash illumination.

Then whilst driving tonite I had to perform a 3 pt u-turn and when I shifted into reverse, the whole dash illuminated for the first time. I paused in amazement before shifting into drive and parking. I proceeded to adjust the dimmer switch, and it proved to be fully functional as suspected. I've discovered that there are about 4 bulbs total in need of replacement, but the overwhelming majority of bulbs were in order, including those for the window switches.

I then shift into reverse again and the dash again went completely dark for about 3 seconds before coming back to life. I then shift from reverse to drive to park a few times in an attempt to recreate the dash darkening in hopes of isolating what now appears to be a short somewhere in the system. But as luck would have it, the dash remain lit. I'm anticipating an eventual return of whatever gremlin is at work and am stumped as to where to start? So suggestions as to the potential culprit would be much appreciated! Could multiple blown bulbs be the issue? I'll be replacing them in the coming week since I now know which are blown. Could it be that simple? My thinking is NOT.

Last edited by Suede; 11-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 PM

Well the gremlin has returned. Now no amount of tugging on the wire loom leading from the illumination module will allow the dash lights to illuminate. If nobody has any suggestions then I'll just figure out which is the hot 12v wire for dash illumination and hard wire it to the headlight toggle. I'd of course lose dimmer control, but I never use that anyway. At least I'd have dash lighting again.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Last edited by Suede; 05-16-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Suede
It should be noted that when the dimmer is rotated to the full on position (after the "click") the lighting on the climate controls, as well as the backlighting on the stereo brighten to full-on, which leads me to believe both the illumination module & dimmer switch are functioning properly.

Then whilst driving tonite I had to perform a 3 pt u-turn and when I shifted into reverse, the whole dash illuminated for the first time. I paused in amazement before shifting into drive and parking. I proceeded to adjust the dimmer switch, and it proved to be fully functional as suspected. I've discovered that there are about 4 bulbs total in need of replacement, but the overwhelming majority of bulbs were in order, including those for the window switches.

I'll be replacing them in the coming week since I now know which are blown. Could it be that simple? My thinking is NOT.
Dang Suede...how'd I miss this one over a year ago? I think I know a place you can look and it will actually be easier than replacing a handful of bulbs. I'm a bit troubled by your discussion of climate control and and stereo lights, though - hopefully you are referring to the window in each and not the backlighting on the buttons? Because if the buttons were lit, I'll not be much help to you. I had intermittent dash lighting including the entire center stack, IP and door switches and managed to fix it quite by happenstance - but IIRC, the freq window in the stereo and display on the climate control did stay lit...You need to pull the stereo and tighten the ground wire on the back of its chassis and you'll be good!
I did a pdf on it....I'll see if I can dig out a link and edit back....

Bad news...looks like I've mis-remembered from 3 yrs ago - my instrument binnacle lights were working fine, just all switch panels everywhere were out. Nonetheless, here is the promised link and if you open the pdf, slide #3 is a pic of the offending ground wire/stud on the back of the stereo:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...witches-53109/

Last edited by aholbro1; 05-16-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Received 8,241 Likes on 4,971 Posts

Jag issued a few TSBs for the X300.
The radio head unit aholbro1 mentioned is one of them.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 PM

Thanx Aholbro1 & Motocarman. I'm pretty certain the issue is a short somewhere. About once a month, the dash lights would not illuminate and I'd just tug on the yellow wire loom leading from the illumination module until they relit. I inspected each of the pinouts on the connector plug in hopes of finding a loose wire connection, but all seemed to be firmly connected. So I gave up since a few tugs on that yellow wire loom would always reilluminate the dash lights. Then last week I had to drop the shroud on the bottom of the steering column and after reassembly I discovered that the little trick if tugging on that yellow wire loom no longer worked. Seems what ever the short was became completely disconnected with the repositioning of wires. Since I can't locate the short, I suppose I'll just go with plan B and hardwire the hot wire leading from the illumination module to the headlight switch itself completely bypassing the module.

Last edited by Suede; 05-16-2014 at 11:50 PM.