XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jag stalls / too high rpm / hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag stalls / too high rpm / hard to start

Hey,
I've checked the other topics and "no start" sticky, but didn't find the one good solution.

So here's the story:
couple of months ago I started driving from work and got stuck in a traffic jam. At one point when I needed to move again and pressed the gas pedal, the car stalled. I was able to start the car again couple of times for 2 seconds and it stalled again. Ok I was quite low on fuel also, but still thinking myself that I've been even lower before. Anyways, I managed to get 4L of fuel and poured it in, the car started and didn't stall anymore. Then thinking "maybe it was low on fuel".

A week had passed, I started driving home to work in the morning. I was 50m from my house and I felt like the gas pedal is on or cruise control is enabled - rpm was around 1300 and I took my foot off from the pedal and the car basically "drove itself" around 40km/h. It felt like too sketchy to drive like that and I pulled over. I changed the gear to P, rpm was still over 1000 and I pressed the gas pedal, so that maybe if the rpm goes up, it comes down again and below 1000 - yes it went up and came down also, to the point that car stalled and I wasn't able to start it again. This time, I was definitely not low on fuel. Anyway, I tried several times to start it, but nothing. So I had to leave her there parked. When I came back in the evening, the car started, with some sputtering. I got it toed to the service, not risking driving myself, because of the throttle-on and stalling problems. They found out that in the exhaust there are some holes, so the excess air comes in and presumed that the lambda sensors might be confused. So, they weld the holes, but found out that there are still some holes in the part where two exhausts join into one (sorry can't remember the exact name in English). They didn't have enough time at the moment to work with these also.

I drived 2-3days without any problem, when in one morning I was able to drive 10m from my house, stopped to let others through, started to move again and as soon as I pressed the gas pedal, the car stalled. 1-2 times I was able to kind of start it again and pressed several times the pedal to keep the rpm's high. Lots of sputtering and fuel smell. After 5-6 times pressing the pedal I stopped and the car stalled and no hope again.

I went back to the service to fix the rest of the exhaust. In the service, when they pulled off the whole exhaust system, they found out that there are much more holes in there (the part described before), so no point of welding that and It was better to replace it. So, I waited 3 weeks for the new part. Meanwhile driving was a real lottery - some days it was all ok, like nothing happened, some days I got stuck behind the lights and the car didn't start. On the highway or driving faster, it has all been good (at least I don't hear anything bad), but driving slower or accelerating from the spot, you could get again the low fuel feeling or lack of power. Eventually I got the part replaced - 3 days pure fun and again same problems as before (Though it needed replacement anyway).

I filmed the other day, when I was trying to leave the gas station. These are main symptoms:
Basically there are clips of car not starting at all (0:20),
then waiting couple of minutes on the spot,
trying to start again - starting very heavily (1:20), but starting and had to keep the rpm high, so it won't stall again
and almost stalling when pressing little bit gas pedal (2:02) See the rpm going low first and then jumping higher and remaining around 1000.

What are your thoughts on this? What else to check first? Because whenever I arrive to the service, everything works there. So far the spark plugs are checked and cleaned (half a year ago replaced), ECU contacts are checked (because there might get water in there?), camshaft sensor is checked (not replaced) and nothing bad seen in computer.