XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jaguar X300 won't kick down

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X300 won't kick down

Jaguar x300 kick down

I bought a Jaguar X300 4 litre Sovereign -95 back in 2012 by impulse after my wife struck 2 elks (moose’s) with her little Rover 25. The car ran fine for two years and was then laid up due to uncertain employment. In spring 2017 I decided to put the car back in use. I installed a new battery and she fired up almost instantly and after some changing between R and D, I got her moving. There was a noise however that sounded like the starter didn’t disengage. After some starts and stops the sound disappeared. Next morning I started her and sat off for its MOT. Now I noticed that the transmission did not change gears and the noise came back, at the same time she felt sluggish and dropped in rews until the engine stalled. I tried to restart but the starter wouldn’t turn over. I assumed that the starter didn’t disengage and had turned into a glowing piece of metal; at least it smelled that way. Towing back home and left aside until this spring and replacing the starter. The old starter had not turned into scrap even though the starter gear was badly worn. With the new starter fitted, I tried to start her but nothing happened. The transmission light came on though. I put it in P and ran a wire from battery to the connection at the rear of the cylinder head (solenoid connection) and she fired up but did not change gears. I decided to adjust the selector cable but noticed that the selector letters didn’t light up properly as I was moving the gearbox handle. I opened the rotary switch and found a lot of corrosion inside and that the arm inside was broke. Probably water had got inside and at nights with temperatures below freezing point resulting in the broken rotary switch when I selected D. I replaced the Rotary Switch and adjusted the selector cable as described here at the forum. The gearbox started to work and changed gears as it should (a bit rough in the beginning) but smooth now. The only thing that doesn’t work is the kick down. I have adjusted the full throttle settings, I have checked the kick down switch and it works properly.

I am now out of ideas, could someone, please, help me. Have I missed something or is it possible to some checks on the transmission without having to remove it?

My very best regards,

David