XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Key Fob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 09:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key Fob.

I have three keys with my Sovereign. Two are black and have the fobs with them, the third is a green key without the fob. Unfortunately, one of the fobs has refused to react to any button pressing. I have changed the batteries for new, but no luck. I would like to get inside said fob to attempt to diagnose any fault, but can't see how to. Any ideas? Secondly, I do have a fob from another manufacturer, and I would like to programme it for use with the Jaguar. Does anyone have a method of so programming? Thank in anticipation. AlecG.

Old 08-13-2024, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 848 Posts

The FOBs come in 2 Freq as 315 and later 433 hz

You can tell by the rear window as the antenna shape is Diff

There is a cavoite in that the wrong antenna is installed at the factory not matching the FOB / Security Lock Control Module , with compromised performance

There are cheap parts specific to the X300 FOB ( and used on Volvo or could be Saab , hint )

fits Jaguar remote key fob X300 XJ6 XJ12 - 2 Silicone Repair key Buttons (1SET) | eBay

These switches off the top of my head don't look right , will have to look in my toolbox later, but at least they are from England

4 Micro Switches for Jaguar Remote Key Fob | eBay

There are several TSBs and maybe how to open , see section 18

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Cheap batteries no good as well as the batteries can be upside down

You can take a common pencil eraser and clean the battery contacts

The green key is probably a different cut / shape for the valet key

Last edited by Parker 7; 08-13-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2024, 05:27 PM
Received 394 Likes on 230 Posts

G’day Alex,

The plastic FOB shell is two press together halves which can be separated by sliding a blade into the crack beside the brass ring and giving it a twist. The two pieces should split apart easily and they just snap together.

Cheers,
Jeff.

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by watto700
G’day Alex,

The plastic FOB shell is two press together halves which can be separated by sliding a blade into the crack beside the brass ring and giving it a twist. The two pieces should split apart easily and they just snap together.

Cheers,
Jeff.
I have now opened the fob, thanks for the info! I have discovered that the circular battery connector has come adrift from whatever lies inside on the circuit board! I can’t see how to release the circuit board from the shell!

Old 08-16-2024, 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=Parker 7;2776487]The FOBs come in 2 Freq as 315 and later 433 hz

You can tell by the rear window as the antenna shape is Diff

There is a cavoite in that the wrong antenna is installed at the factory not matching the FOB / Security Lock Control Module , with compromised performance

There are cheap parts specific to the X300 FOB ( and used on Volvo or could be Saab , hint )

fits Jaguar remote key fob X300 XJ6 XJ12 - 2 Silicone Repair key Buttons (1SET) | eBay

These switches off the top of my head don't look right , will have to look in my toolbox later, but at least they are from England

4 Micro Switches for Jaguar Remote Key Fob | eBay

There are several TSBs and maybe how to open , see section 18

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Cheap batteries no good as well as the batteries can be upside down

You can take a common pencil eraser and clean the battery contacts

The green key is probably a different cut / shape for the valet key

[/QUOTEI have the lower antenna, so it is 433Mhz.]

Old 08-16-2024, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 848 Posts

The small FOB circuit board does come out maybe clipped as I need to take off for hours and I had my FOB boards out before , getting my memory going

To know the antenna is matched to the SLCM the freq is on the SLCM but a job to get to under the fuel fill well in the trunk

The SLCM is installed at an angle , if removing the connectors , remove the battery positive cable

There is a SLCM hard reset but before doing that you have a precaution for your British model

There is history of water getting into the SLCM connectors and this locks up the SLCM logic steps to not get to zero state

Last edited by Parker 7; 08-16-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Parker 7
The small FOB circuit board does come out maybe clipped as I need to take off for hours and I had my FOB boards out before , getting my memory going

To know the antenna is matched to the SLCM the freq is on the SLCM but a job to get to under the fuel fill well in the trunk

The SLCM is installed at an angle , if removing the connectors , remove the battery positive cable

There is a SLCM hard reset but before doing that you have a precaution for your British model

There is history of water getting into the SLCM connectors and this locks up the SLCM logic steps to not get to zero state
The fob was working intermittently, and having achieved access to the innards have discovered that the circular battery connector is no longer attached/soldered to the circuit board. Hence why I need to get the circuit board out!

Old 08-24-2024, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Alexander Gurney
The fob was working intermittently, and having achieved access to the innards have discovered that the circular battery connector is no longer attached/soldered to the circuit board. Hence why I need to get the circuit board out!
I have now obtained another key fob of the correct frequency! Now I need to programme it to the car. I have found some confusing directions on YouTube. Does anyone have a written “How to do it” or service recommendation?