XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Leaky Transmission cooling lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Leaky Transmission cooling lines

I noticed that my transmission cooling lines, the one that goes from the tranny to the radiator and back, have a slight leak. Would this be something that can be resolved with simple replacement? Is is something that would require a shop to do or can i do it at home? See picture for lines i am referring to.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Yes they are do-able by the home mechanic, providing you have the basic tools to cut hose couplings, and fit new transmission hose and suitable clamps as replacements.

Getting those ferrules off without removing the whole line from the car (huge task) will be tricky and time consuming.

If yoiu are not confident, then a shop would be a sensible suggestion.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Oh wow, i thought this would be a simple unbolt, drain and rebolt. This may be something better suited for the dealership. Any idea why these lines leak? and is it a common issue with these cars?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 AM

Mmmmmm.

Not common on any car, however, old age does creep in eventually.

The lack of service of the power steer fluid does not help any "non-metallic" item in the system. I run synthetic trans fluid in all mine and change it every year. By change I simply syringe the old out of the container and refill with fresh fluid.

Any competent hydraulic hose outfit could simply cut those ferrules off, and remove the hose, which will expose the "barb" section of the metal pipe, slide a new piece of hose onto the barbs and clamp is up with suitable clamps.

I have done many Jags and others over the years, and it is not rocket science by any means.

The dealer will supply 2 pipe assemblies, and charge accordingly, and then some more to fit them.

Your car, your choice obviously, but I ALWAYS look outside the box for a fix, and the Genuine is the LAST choice, my choice there of course. Sometimes the Genuine is the only way, but down here, not too often.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mechanic tried to cut out a bad section and replace with flexible pipe. It kept blowing regardless of how many clamps he used. He finally replaced the entire hose with a flexible one. It hasn't had a problem since. Been about 6 months. About $300

Old 01-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Yea i think ill just buy a pair of really good condition used lines and have my mechanic put them in. its freezing up here in nyc and my garage isnt heated so he can have fun with this one! thanks for the info guys!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Can anyone confirm that the tranny lines from a 97 will fit my 96? just want to make sure there wasnt an upgraded version on the 97 that wont fit my 96 since i am about to buy them off ebay from 97 xj6. thanks in advance!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 AM

Not as far as I know.

Just make sure it is an XJ6, coz that is the year the XJ8 appeared, and that is different.

Also the pipes from an XJ6-R are different.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Hey quick question, im planning on purchasing the line used from ebay, it's the lower passenger side cooling line that goes to from the radiator back to the tranny. I want to make sure I do this correctly, I assume I have to drain the transmission, then unbolt the lines and remove the entire line and replace with the new line then fill the tranny back up. Any other steps I'm missing? Thanks guys in advance

Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 AM

NAH, trans drain NO.

Simply undo the pipes, wiggle them out, YES, there will be spillage from the oil in the lines, so be prepared. Refit the pipe/s, and top off the trans, maybe a coffe cup is all it will take. Spray some p/pack degreaser around just to tidy up the oil spillage, and hose it off.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Just read that again, are you a RHD market????, as I have NO idea where woodhaven is.

I only ask, coz you say "passengers side", which is car talk for whatever, as we dont know which side the steering is on. Not all of us are in the USA LHD market, some of us have the steering wheel on the CORRECT side HAHAHAHA. The trans lines are on the LH side, as is passengers side on a RHD car.

I know, go and drink some more Grant, and stop being picky, OK, off I go.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM

LOL!! Ur too funny grant! and no i am actually righting from a lhd market, Woodhaven is in QUeens New York. So since my vehicle has the steering wheel on the left side, then it is the right side of the radiator, or LHD passenger side, that is leaking. Its the lower line. And thanks for the info, saves me alot of trouble since i dont have to drain it.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM

DUH, now I am confused, must get another V12 to keep the sanity, 3 is just NOT enough hahaha.

The cooler lines on the RH side of the radiator, as decided by sitting in the drivers seat and facing the front of the car, are the power steer cooler lines.

The trans cooler lines go into and out of the LH side, same seating position, of the radiator.

Just to be sure. the exhaust manifold is on the RH side of the engine, and the inlet stuff is on the LH side of the engine, no matter where the steering wheel is located.

SO, if you are talking of the lines on the RH side (exhaust side) then they are the power steer lines.

Mine are deleted and a Nissan power steer cooler mounted out the front of the radiator does very nicely thank you.

Same for the trans lines, now go via a Ford trans cooler out the front. Cooling system now has much less stress, and in our temps who needs the extra heat in the radiator anyhow.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Hey Grant thanks for the info! Yes they must be the power steering lines as you had mentioned! I see you had mentioned something about nissan power steering? Is this a custom mod you did or is it plug and play? I would like to eliminate this small leak so any help would be great!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 AM

Nah, purely custom. I live/think waaaaaaay outside the square as far as cars are concerned, and upset MANY people by that, but at least I get to drink in peace haha.

I DO NOT believe in the transmission and power steer fluids going via the radiator, at least down here where its HOT mostly.

My reasons are that the trans fluid runs way hotter than the coolant, and the trans cooler is in the lower portion (colder end) of the radiator, so after the radiator has done what it does, and cooled the coolant, the trans fluid heats it up again prior to going back to the engine to do what it does in there, soooooo, the radiator has to work quite hard to maintain engine temps, THEN, they stick the "hot" power steer fluid in the other end ?????. Then add to that our HOT summers, and mild winters, what the heck. These units are excellant for cold climates as they heat up the coolant faster, so engine temps get to normal quicker and emissions are lower I think??.

I simply went to local wrecking yard and wandered around with some idea of what I wanted and simply removed what I found. The Nissan cooler was a simple 10mm pipe of about 2metres in length, and formed in a shape similar to an "M", and that was as simple as it was. Any cooler from any car will suffice, as long it is 10mm piping. The Ford trans cooler was just laying on the ground, and it too was 10mm pipes, and a honeycomb design. They both mounted out the front of the radiator fairly simply, and the hoses were redone to suit, bypassing the radiator totally.

The steer hoses on the RH side are the steer return lines, and little to no pressure in them. I used 10mm trans cooler hose and EFI clamps, cut things as required to faciltate what I wanted to achieve.

The leaks you have NOW are easily fixed by simply removing the hose sections and replacing them with a new section of hose as required. The crimp ferrules are simply cut off CAREFULLY, and the old hose removed, this exposes a barbed section of the solid pipe, clean it up, slide the new hose on, clamp it firmly, do the other end, top off the steer container, coz that sucker WILL DRAIN when you undo those hoses, go for a drive, have a beer. Should not take more than 1 hour for a first timer. The LARGE pipe and hose FROM the pump to the rack is the HIGH pressure, so DO NOT mess with that one.

The 12mm hose running from the canister to the pump is a well known source of fluid leaks. Sadly, old age is now reeking havoc with any fluid hose, so replacement as a maintenence item, is strongly suggested be me.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-23-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info Grant! Since im not sure about the process of changing the rubber hose, i figured i might as well change the entire line. I found one on ebay for around $80 bucks and since this line isnt a high pressure line and it looks pretty simple to change except for underneath the car by the tranny, i might as well change the whole thing. I have featured a pic of the line below.

the pic doesnt want to upload so here is the link to the pic-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130649792814...84.m1438.l2649

Last edited by etaent; 02-23-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: pic wont upload