XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Legacy (IDS) not opening

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I apologize for the hijack, however I found this thread extremely informative.

I have an XJS and I'm using IDS v131 or 130, it's been awhile since I've last needed to us it. I am looking for a device that would allow me to reset the fuel adaptations. The IDS lets me reorient oxygen sensors and reset the TPS, but no option to reset fuel adaptations.

If I could find a device to do that (would a WDS let me do that?) would I also need something else to help complete the task, such as CO2 readings from my exhaust?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 8,241 Likes on 4,971 Posts

WDS/IDS are the SAME program.
There are no other configurations for the AJ16. Just throttle, 02 orientation, and other components of ENGINE SETUP.

Any other changes are made by installing PROMs. Program the Read Only Memory 'chips' with a suitable 'programmer' and THEN install them into the ECM.

Jaguar changed the parameters of some functions and then issued new PROMs for us to install as part of a RECALL (R493). The old ones are 'trashed'. They no longer serve a purpose and cannot be changed (READ ONLY MEMORY).

You might try to come up with some EPROMs (ERASABLE PROMs) and then you can change whatever you want if you know the software code to input.

bob

Old 03-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

What Bob says is bang on.

If you want to start playing with the AJ16 ECU, then you need to get in touch with XJRengineer here on the forum, he's the guy who can edit the AJ16 ECU.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ServiceMasterD
The latest version of SDD is 145. It works fine with VCM.
All factory SDDs are currently Win 7.
The older CF-18s were XP.
I have my own personal SDD with Win XP and the last version of SDD1 (131.03) loaded. I have loaded later versions on XP, and it works as well.

I would recommend at minimum Windows 7.
Now I am confused, but in all honesty, that doesn't take much! Of all the threads out there, you are the only person who has commented that they have no issues running the later versions of SDD/IDS on older vehicles. In your example, you said that you had just used it on a 1995 XJS.

I am not a computer whiz, but there must be something simple that is not being set up properly by most of us that is stopping IDS from loading.

ServiceMaster - Did you load the software yourself? If so, do you remember anything that needed to be "set" after the install?

Old 03-20-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo

The problem is that in later versions post V125 you have to get SDD to launch IDS, and that's where it seems to fall over for you.
Do you know how to get around this problem? ServiceMaster has it working, but I don't know how he managed this.

DA-VINA (and any other J2534 device) will not work with IDS or SDD prior to V124. Don't even bother trying. VCM is the only device that works prior to V124.

DA-VINA will only work with an X300 when using SDD V124 or later, because that's when the J2534 drivers were added.

VCM is fully functional with an X300 (as functional as is possible) but DA-VINA, MongoosePro, JLR VCI, Bosch iView, all have some limitations.

Of course i am referring to GENUINE devices, if you use clones then who knows what they can or can't do...

Earlier in this thread, I posted a document from JLR that states that DA-VINA will work on an X300, excepting the limitations of programming. I am confused by this notice versus your comments above.. Unless V124 came out before this notice and before DA-VINA. The more I think about it, that must be the case.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Engineer1
Now I am confused, but in all honesty, that doesn't take much! Of all the threads out there, you are the only person who has commented that they have no issues running the later versions of SDD/IDS on older vehicles. In your example, you said that you had just used it on a 1995 XJS.
Do you know how to get around this problem? ServiceMaster has it working, but I don't know how he managed this.
If you read what he wrote a little more carefully, he said "We can use the latest SDD version with a 1995 XJS (just did it last week), but a VCM is needed. Mongoose is best used on vehicles with PanPAG and later ECUs."

Earlier in this thread, I posted a document from JLR that states that DA-VINA will work on an X300, excepting the limitations of programming. I am confused by this notice versus your comments above.. Unless V124 came out before this notice and before DA-VINA. The more I think about it, that must be the case.
Well actually it's version V125, not V124, my mistake.

So have a read of the attached file. 1-242NAS.pdf

Some fine print in there about "Module programming for 1995-1997MY Jaguar XJ (X300).....vehicles will be supported with the launch of IDS-DVD126 (June 2011)." that is specifically in relation to using the J2534 interfaces, I believe, since the X300 module programming was available in earlier versions, with a VCM.

I have found that when it comes to Mongoose, DA-VINA, or any of the other J2534 interfaces, it's written on paper that it "should" work, but the reality is very different, especially with the older model vehicles.

Genuine VCM, no problem.
Chinese clone VCM, generally ok but not 100%
Genuine J2534 interface, mostly good but occasional hiccups.
Chinese clone J2534 interface, pot luck.

You say you have SDD versions 138, 139, and 141, for sure they will have been "cracked" to make them work without a license. Did you consider that the "cracking" might have something to do with Legacy IDS not loading?

IDS V118.5 requires no license, no activation, it just works. But you need a VCM in order to use it.

If you have SDD software that's been cracked to make it work, then all bets are off...

The following users liked this post:
Engineer1 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 08:03 PM

If you read what he wrote a little more carefully, he said "We can use the latest SDD version with a 1995 XJS (just did it last week), but a VCM is needed. Mongoose is best used on vehicles with PanPAG and later ECUs."...

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the software should boot with or without a device attached to the computer. I will plug everything in and try again.

You say you have SDD versions 138, 139, and 141, for sure they will have been "cracked" to make them work without a license. Did you consider that the "cracking" might have something to do with Legacy IDS not loading?

IDS V118.5 requires no license, no activation, it just works. But you need a VCM in order to use it.

If you have SDD software that's been cracked to make it work, then all bets are off...
141 is not cracked; it times out in short order.

Regarding the VCM, I have one from Ford. Are the Ford units and the JLR units interchangeable?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 PM

It could well be that the reason IDS doesn't launch from SDD is because of an installation problem, incompatibility or something totally random, I can't really guess what the reason might be...

The original VCM "GNA600" used for Ford, Mazda, Jaguar and Land Rover is all the same hardware, only a different firmware which is loaded to the VCM when you connect it to the different software versions.

If you have a "Ford" VCM and connect it to JLR IDS or SDD, the firmware will be automatically updated by IDS/SDD. Likewise if your VCM is running the JLR firmware, and you reconnect it to Ford IDS, the firmware will be automatically uploaded.

Engineer1 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

ServiceMaster - Did you load the software yourself? If so, do you remember anything that needed to be "set" after the install?
I loaded all our SDDs, and maintain them. If you have original disks, or exact images of the originals, you should be able to load them on just about any computer made in the last 10(ish) years.
I've loaded just about every version, and keep a few units backdated for simplicity in scanning older vehicles.

Not sure why you have issues. Post the computer model, unless you built it from parts, what OS you're using, and what version SDD you're loading and the procedure you're using.

Because you've not done many installs, it's important to understand, what version SDD/IDS you're trying to install, as several patch versions are "finicky". You asked how the latest version works with an older car. SDD is a continuation of a long line of hardware/software development. When older models are hooked up, SDD goes into "Legacy" mode, which is an older version of software.

FYI, SDD will be completely replaced with a new product soon, as Jaguar has been developing a next gen platform to keep up with modern times (finally). Perhaps when they stop the update servers, the later versions will not lock out after a period of time. Until then, you're stuck with pre-SDD2 (131.03 or earlier) versions. Actually, you shouldn't need anything later than 118.5, so I'd recommend sticking with that, but you'll need a VCM.

Engineer1 (03-28-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:25 AM

I tried a "new" install of IDS V118.5 on an old CF-18 Toughbook, just to see how it went (because to be honest, I was using V115 for old cars until now).

The CF-18 is running WinXP, it's an old laptop 10 years old or more now. Not an issue to install V118.5 and it works fine with a genuine VCM.

Legacy (IDS) not opening-jlr-am-ids-v118.5.jpg

This is really the best option for anyone with a pre-2006MY car.

BUT it does need some "tweaking" still, unlike V115 which was a basic, offline program, V118.5 does try to go online so you need to disable a few things otherwise it will "time out".

Still much better than SDD...

Old 03-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Addressing the time-out issues, do you have the "Offline Authentication?"

Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM

There is no Offline Authentication for V118.5 as far as I know, you just need to stop it from going online.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I know, I was trying to be a little "cryptic" to not have ppl asking for it. I thought you were using an earlier version to avoid having the update issues, and may not have been aware of the authentication, so as to avoid it.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 PM

If you read what he wrote a little more carefully, he said "We can use the latest SDD version with a 1995 XJS (just did it last week), but a VCM is needed. Mongoose is best used on vehicles with PanPAG and later ECUs."

Well actually it's version V125, not V124, my mistake.

So have a read of the attached file. Attachment 127133

Some fine print in there about "Module programming for 1995-1997MY Jaguar XJ (X300).....vehicles will be supported with the launch of IDS-DVD126 (June 2011)." that is specifically in relation to using the J2534 interfaces, I believe, since the X300 module programming was available in earlier versions, with a VCM.

I have found that when it comes to Mongoose, DA-VINA, or any of the other J2534 interfaces, it's written on paper that it "should" work, but the reality is very different, especially with the older model vehicles.

Genuine VCM, no problem.
Chinese clone VCM, generally ok but not 100%
Genuine J2534 interface, mostly good but occasional hiccups.
Chinese clone J2534 interface, pot luck.

To summarize:
  • DA-VINA (and Mongoose?) will not work with anything before 126
  • VCM will work with 143 and older
  • 118.5 and older does not require a license or activation
  • 119 and newer needs a license (or to be cracked)
  • V??? and newer needs internet access to verify license (or needs to be "frozen"
If you can fill in any holes or make corrections, have at it!!

This weekend I will be back home and will try the VCM and DA-VINA with 118. Time permitting, I will re-load 139 and 141 and see what works and what doesn't. I will report back next week.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Well if you want an executive summary:

DA-VINA (and Mongoose, and any J2534 interface) will not work with any JLR IDS/SDD prior to 125, the J2354 support is from 125 onwards

VCM will work with any version of JLR IDS or SDD from 100 to the current 145

115 is a completely offline version, does not require a license or activation

118.5 is the last version that does not require a license or activation, and the last version that was only IDS. It does however look for updates, which needs to be disabled

119 was the first version with SDD and when the license/activation came into play

125.03 was the last version where you could launch IDS without having to open SDD first and go through the VIN entry

131.3 was the introduction of SDD2 with all service information (Workshop Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Electrical Reference Library, TSB’s and service updates) requiring a TOPIx document subscription in addition to the IDS diagnostic software subscription.

140 was when the security got even tighter

---------------------------------------------------

If you have a VCM then use it, they are still so much better than any of the J2534 interfaces.

If you have a pre-2000 model car then use an older pre-SDD version of IDS along with your VCM, say 115 or 118. There is no benefit to using a late version of SDD with the old cars.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
b1mcp (03-30-2016), Engineer1 (04-01-2016), rjulius (07-11-2019), smgdata (03-30-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Well if you want an executive summary:

DA-VINA (and Mongoose, and any J2534 interface) will not work with any JLR IDS/SDD prior to 125, the J2354 support is from 125 onwards

VCM will work with any version of JLR IDS or SDD from 100 to the current 145

115 is a completely offline version, does not require a license or activation

118.5 is the last version that does not require a license or activation, and the last version that was only IDS. It does however look for updates, which needs to be disabled

119 was the first version with SDD and when the license/activation came into play

125.03 was the last version where you could launch IDS without having to open SDD first and go through the VIN entry

131.3 was the introduction of SDD2 with all service information (Workshop Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Electrical Reference Library, TSB’s and service updates) requiring a TOPIx document subscription in addition to the IDS diagnostic software subscription.

140 was when the security got even tighter

---------------------------------------------------

If you have a VCM then use it, they are still so much better than any of the J2534 interfaces.

If you have a pre-2000 model car then use an older pre-SDD version of IDS along with your VCM, say 115 or 118. There is no benefit to using a late version of SDD with the old cars.
MAGIC!! Fantastic!! I have looked high and low for this information and could never find it! A synopsis like this doesn't exist anywhere! Thank you very putting this information in one place!

Yesterday I ran version 118.5 with a Ford VCM and it worked with no issues. As you said, the first time I plugged it in and launched the software, it said I needed to update the VCM software. After a little bit, I was able to communicate with the vehicle.

In an earlier post, you said 118.5 needs some tweaking. What were you referring to?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:52 AM

MAGIC!! Fantastic!! I have looked high and low for this information and could never find it! A synopsis like this doesn't exist anywhere! Thank you very putting this information in one place!
Well now it does.

Yesterday I ran version 118.5 with a Ford VCM and it worked with no issues. As you said, the first time I plugged it in and launched the software, it said I needed to update the VCM software. After a little bit, I was able to communicate with the vehicle.
Good. Not that it's surprising, the old IDS is really that simple.

In an earlier post, you said 118.5 needs some tweaking. What were you referring to?
Well... I did kind of answer this already, in the post you just quoted above.

Attached Thumbnails Legacy (IDS) not opening-softwaremanager.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by smgdata
I have
I got it on eBay a couple months back.
jlr part 11 22_97 18.5e I was able to install it get it running and I have no tool to communicate with the car with.
I missed this. You need a VCM? I might be able to help there, send me a PM.

smgdata (04-02-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 PM

Nice info.

Just FYI, SDD2 was introduced one version later in v131.4 (TSB 1-250NAS2).

Old 04-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Ha, I was on the fence if it was 131.3 or 131.4, couldn't remember exactly.