XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Locked out , Key in car , Remote no help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Default Locked out , Key in car , Remote no help

Yep , left key in ignition in the " on " position as troubleshooting other system . Closed doors and I pushed all locks down . Trunk open as have done trunk modification previously . Car battery fresh full charge . Remote FOB fresh new Energizer 2016 batteries . Main fuse OK . The FOB flashes as it transmits , should the FOB lights be on steady ? . I have done some wire chasing with the Security Module and the Wiring Schematic ( electronics by profession ) but will leave that out for others security concerns but I can discus the details in Private Mail . Should the FOB lights be on steady as a good strong signal ?

Thanks , Parker

Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 8,218 Likes on 4,955 Posts

I use a plastic/nylon crate binding strap to unlock 1988 to 2003 sedans. Pry the top of the door open and slide the strap DOUBLED as a LOOP.

Wiggle the doubled loop down the back of the door glass frame and catch the lock knob.

PULL BACK HARD and then pull UP.

Works every time.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Motorcarman , pull straight back to tighten then up to pull knob . Disconnecting the battery for the knob may want to drive back to lock with the key in the on or run position . Heading to the store now for a scrap strapomatic and will keep in trunk .

Thanks , Parker

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-04-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 PM

I keep a 3 foot length of the binding strap in my tool boxes and customers always want a length after they see me open the car in a minute.

All the mechanics had the straps in their toolboxes when I was at the dealer.

You might not need to disconnect the battery if you are really fast getting to the door handle!!!

bob

Old 06-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

My sources didn't have any tonight , will have to go hunting tomorrow morning , no rush under restoration to square things up , getting some supplies anyway to refinish the fine woodwork back . Thanks for the advice Bob , that helps me tremendously . Lady P being out of configuration ( and that's being polite about what the previous owner did to her ) I assumed rather not have the lock motors work against me but then again the doors were closed before I opened them back up to secure for the night Friday . FOB did work before but that is not a priority with me now .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-04-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,109 Posts

Call me paranoid, but I always leave the window down when doing things like working on the car with the key inside and me outside.

motorcarman (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:57 PM

I was working at a shop about 30 years ago when I pulled the car in and closed the door. I was walking toward the office when I heard the doors lock and a 'chirp' from the alarm lock.

I ran back to the car but it was LOCKED with the key in the ignition!!!!
I called the lady that owned it and she said "Yes, it locks itself after about 10 seconds". She had a passive alarm installed for self locking.

She brought a second key and I NEVER pulled a car in the shop without opening a window (or sunroof if the windows don't work) ever again!!!!!!!

Lesson learned.

bob

Old 06-06-2017, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member

Lowes had a wrapping machine on the floor and they cut off a 6 foot piece for me . Will be trying to unlock it when the sun comes up . I kept the remote FOB separate from the key for I knew I would probably lock myself out . But as it is out of configuration it wouldn't work . All worked fine before . To trick the wiring using the Wiring Schematic was like trying to break into Fort Knox Gold Storage .

Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 AM

Please tell us you have more than one key!!!!

bob

Old 06-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Nope , if you listen to my closest friends they always say too bad I'm not as bright as my shirts . Actually I only paid $ 1300 for this 110,000 mile , excellent original paint , interior , and Michelin tires on this rolling piece of art . My Lady P was so undervalued she was a " toss in " on someones previous truck deal as she was behind the curve mechanically . Figured the owner didn't have the money for a Jaguar shop ( assuming $ 200 a shop hour ) . My career was as an Airline Mechanic ( Jet Doctor or a Plane Surgeon ) on the flight line so I saw her mechanical condition as no big deal . As far as workmanship I have seen some " things " in my career , but not like the " things " I have seen with her . With the information gathered from this Forum she has come a long way back . I did ask for a second key , but that was no big deal at the time , just never got around to making a second although it was always on my mind and guarded again'st it , but I really nailed it . I will be following your advice after lunch and try to open it up and I came up with another idea as an expansion of the way you advised me if that doesn't pan out .

Thanks , Joe , I mean Parker

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ran into a spot of stumble under my bonnet . Giving it a little break . By using a plastic putty knife to not damage the rubber seals and a large screwdriver to pry the seal open I was able to get the hammered flat cinchknot halfway over the knob before cinching it tight . Using the steel inserts from a old longer windshield wiper and bending it curved before inserting them I'm trying to maneuver the cinchknot fully around the knob before pulling the cinch tight . Kinda like trying to get that special toy out of the large vending machine .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-06-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Got it . Thanks Bob ! It will never happen again , I promise . The key ( pun intended ) I found was the use of bend to shape long ( 22 inch ) windsheild wiper inserts from the auto parts store dumpster to guide the cinch knot over in proper fully around place before pulling tight . The approach I thought of expanding on the strap you use will be experimented with later but for now I have my one key in hand . I'll have to rewire the modifications to the Security Module as I was trying to trick Fort Knox later to ensure the FOB works correctly again as it did before . See icon below .

Attached Images  
Norri (06-06-2017)