XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Looks like I'll be in the Jag for a while yet.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Looks like I'll be in the Jag for a while yet.

Shiny new MOT cert received yesterday - always worrying when you put a car in for its first test under your ownership, or is that just me?! I've never been more convinced that a car would fail actually - I know the front balljoints need doing, and I was sure there would be other things!

Only downside is that I've not got an excuse to just get the garage to do those bits - ah well, it's all good fun.

Now I'm happier about it's long term health, I'll have to get round to some cosmetics too...

The following users liked this post:
FireCrow (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

From what I hear, your MOT tests are very thorough. I think if we had tests like those in the USA, half the cars on the road would fail! Probably mine included! All we need here is a clear emissions test. Only requirements are that the car must enter the station under it's own power, and the gas cap must work properly. They couldn't care less that the car needs ball joints or anything else for that matter! And in general, cars registered outside big cities don't even need emissions testing. The UK must be full of very properly functioning, well maintained autos. You should be proud of that MOT, especially for a 1995 model!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
From what I hear, your MOT tests are very thorough. I think if we had tests like those in the USA, half the cars on the road would fail! Probably mine included! All we need here is a clear emissions test. Only requirements are that the car must enter the station under it's own power, and the gas cap must work properly. They couldn't care less that the car needs ball joints or anything else for that matter! And in general, cars registered outside big cities don't even need emissions testing. The UK must be full of very properly functioning, well maintained autos. You should be proud of that MOT, especially for a 1995 model!
Some things on the test are a tad silly - I can't help but think it's slightly unnecessary to point out that 18 year old coil springs are looking a bit rusty (just an 'advisory'), but not to worry. Actually the fact that they felt the need to advise on sill/chassis/floor corrosion last year was good - it made me check everywhere and get busy with the Kurust/underseal!

In general though, the MOT test is only a good thing. I know what state my cars are in (emissions being the only thing I can't check!), but I know so many people who wouldn't pay attention to a 'funny noise' until a wheel fell off...