XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Master Window Controller with seat memory

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Window Controller with seat memory

Hi everyone, newbie here. My 1995 XJ6 has lost the button that adjusts the mirrors,so I'm looking to replace it. Now a local supplier has a replacement module, but it comes with the 3 seat memory buttons, except my Jag doesn't have memory seats, so I guess my question is, is the actual "memory" part of the seats in the window control mudule itself, or are the buttons just controlling some other device, like something built into the seat itself? Thanks for you help!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

The buttons are just buttons and feed a "memory module" and other gubbins, responsible for operating and remembering positions. So, without memory seats, they should just operate the windows and mirror/s.

The mirror adjusting switch seems to be a common failure, with the little top section breaking off. If this is all that's wrong, it is possible to drill a very small hole into the "rotating ball" part of the switch and stick a map pin or similar into the hole. You know those pins with the small coloured ball on top?

The following users liked this post:
designernz (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,861 Likes on 7,146 Posts

May I be permitted a slight hijack?

My mirror switch is OK but the little button to select left-right won't hold in position. When moved it just pops back to the center/neutral position.

Has anyone ever opened up the switch pack to fix this?

Thanks and cheers
DD

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks sogood, I hadn't thought of that, if I make it a black pin, it will probably blend in quite nicely for a while! Cheers. Peter

Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

My mirror switch is OK but the little button to select left-right won't hold in position. When moved it just pops back to the center/neutral position.

Thanks and cheers
DD
Yes. The 'rocker' which holds the switch position has likely dislodged. Be careful when opening up the switch. There is a rubberized mat which keeps all of the tiny pins in place and if you separate the switch too quickly, then all those little pins will dislodge BEFORE you've had opportunity to see where they belong.

Best bet is to keep the buttons half of the switch facing skyward as you slowly separate the halves & have a butter knife handy to press against that rubber mat as you're separating. That way all the little pins remain in their proper location beneath the rubber mat.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (12-18-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks and cheers
DD
Mine holds ok, but on my donor car it's the same as yours and would need two hands to operate it. Not ideal! I imagine it is a quite fiddly set up inside, with springs, contacts and bits that fly past you when you open it up.

Best of luck if you open it up.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by designernz
Hi everyone, newbie here. My 1995 XJ6 has lost the button that adjusts the mirrors,so I'm looking to replace it. Now a local supplier has a replacement module, but it comes with the 3 seat memory buttons, except my Jag doesn't have memory seats, so I guess my question is, is the actual "memory" part of the seats in the window control mudule itself, or are the buttons just controlling some other device, like something built into the seat itself? Thanks for you help!

I am looking for a driver's switch pack with the memory seat buttons, mine was messed with sometime in the past and a non-memory pack was fitted. Do you mind telling me who the supplier with the switch pack is so I can buy it from them?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I've been inside mine - you can easily replace the broken mirror joystick stolen from the replacement module.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks and cheers
DD
Mine does the same thing. I just got adapt at holding the left or right switch with one finger and used the other finger to adjust the mirror. You can do it!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Mine does the same thing. I just got adapt at holding the left or right switch with one finger and used the other finger to adjust the mirror. You can do it!

I know! I've been doing it that way for 2 or 3 years. I'd like to *stop* doing it that way

Cheers
DD

Old 12-22-2013, 12:09 AM

I know! I've been doing it that way for 2 or 3 years. I'd like to *stop* doing it that way

Cheers
DD
I am just curious - exactly how often do you adjust your mirrors? On my last car I set them and 7 years later they were still in the same place...

Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zathras
I am just curious - exactly how often do you adjust your mirrors? On my last car I set them and 7 years later they were still in the same place...

Getting a bit personal, eh ?

I hardly ever adjust them, actually, but they sometimes get bumped out of position while washing the car. And sometimes on longer trip I like to vary my seat position which, of course, means adjusting the mirrors to suit.

Plus, if I loan the car I'd like to have them work easily and properly so the borrower has no difficulties.

Lastly, having something broken on my cars is a bit of an itch for me. This item is obviously very minor....I've lived with it for a couple years. But I feel a bit rotten about letting broken things go unfixed if the fix is cheap and easy.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Getting a bit personal, eh ?

I hardly ever adjust them, actually, but they sometimes get bumped out of position while washing the car. And sometimes on longer trip I like to vary my seat position which, of course, means adjusting the mirrors to suit.

Plus, if I loan the car I'd like to have them work easily and properly so the borrower has no difficulties.

Lastly, having something broken on my cars is a bit of an itch for me. This item is obviously very minor....I've lived with it for a couple years. But I feel a bit rotten about letting broken things go unfixed if the fix is cheap and easy.

Cheers
DD

Sorry man, didn't mean to offend!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zathras
Sorry man, didn't mean to offend!

No offence taken, thus the smiley face!

Cheers and merry Christmas

DD

Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So how does one remove the mirror/window pack from the door panel?

Someone knocked my door panel and broke the clips that hold the door panel on. So today, the panel slipped and now the drivers window, and only the drivers window, quit working.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

It's just a ****-ton of screws to get the panel off and the switch pack out. Nothing complicated. It was so many screws for me because I took the whole door panel apart to give it a good cleaning.

Originally Posted by Catnlion
So how does one remove the mirror/window pack from the door panel?

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have not found this to be a simple operation. The door panel has to be removed to access the screw holding the module in place.
The plastic securing 'clips' holding the door panel in place often break.
The cover in the door 'drawer' needs to be removed - this is the small cover at the lower end of the door module.
This required a wire hook to pull the cover from the window module.
There are two plastic pins on the upper side of the window module which have plastic 'nuts' securing them.
I removed the speaker to access the nuts. Both broke due to brittleness.
There are two screws on the lower side. To access the outer screw it is necessary to remove the door panel.
The reason I removed the unit was that the drivers window would not operate.
I fitted a 'new' unit - this did not resolve the problem.
I can 'jump' the switch to operate the window but it does not operate with the switch.
I guess I need to check the wiring loop!