XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Memory seat question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 09:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Memory seat question

Hi All,

I've got the typical memory drivers seat issue whereby the memory recalls don't work. I've yet to troubleshoot this, but I've got plenty of things to try, so that's not what this thread is about.

One thing I've noticed is that when adjusting my drivers seat, when pressing the switches, there's a delay of maybe 0.5-1 second between pressing the switch and the motors moving anything. This isn't present on my passengers seat where pressing the switch instantly triggers the motors. If you let go of the switches before it starts moving, no movement will occur, and if you let go of the switch after movement occurs, then the movement continues for a similar length of time after the switch is released. Basically it's kind of like a delay.

I was just wondering whether this was normal behaviour or not? It may be related to my memory fault, but everything still works, there's just this delay. It's consistent for all seat axes and it's consistent time for each,, so it's not like the switches have a dodgy contact or anything. It doesn't matter how hard you press the switches or which switch you press, it's the same for all adjustments.

I was just thinking that it may be related to the memory issue that I have, the diagnosis of which I hope to get into in a week or two.

Can anybody share experiences?

Last edited by Esprit; 02-09-2022 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been trying to diagnose this issue and the seat memories to no avail as yet. I originally thought I had one or more bad potentiometers but this delay issue could be related to it all since I'm pretty sure others aren't having this issue.

I've done the diagnosis test with the memory button and I get the red light on all axes, which would indicate that all potentiometers are reporting in range, which should mean that the memory should work. The only situation where they wouldn't would be if ALL the potentiometers were in range but not connected to their motors.

I will run through the potentiometers on the weekend with a circuit tester to check them over.

This, coupled with the delay issue leads me to think it might be a dying seat control module. After I've done the potentiometer test I will swap it out with a spare (later revision) one I have here and see if that makes a difference.