XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Memory seat reset not working, no light during reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Memory seat reset not working, no light during reset

Memory seat reset not working, the light does not come on when holding the memory button down for 4 seconds. Otherwise the seat motors are fine, and the key triggers the mirrors to go back to settings used by previous owner.

Is there a fuse that perhaps needs replacing?

Only other issue I notice is the passenger side view mirror does not tip down when in reverse.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Hmm, Does your memory led come on during normal programming?

Mine has never come on, but only my steering wheel and mirrors will program, not the seats, so maybe that's what's causing the light to not come on in my case.

As far as the auto-dip mirror, I remember reading something that you can enable or disable the feature by pressing the mirror down button while in reverse to activate the feature, and doing the same again to deactivate it. Haven't remembered to try it on my car.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

-Nick

Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, you must select the left mirror in order to permit the right mirror dip.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Unfortunately the memory seats (but not mirrors & wheel) are a well known but not easily solvable problem.

If you do a search here in the forum you will find many many threads, with some how-to diagnostic tips, TSBs, and some lessons learned.

But it appears the problem may exist in one of four locations:

- switch pack
- wiring
- seat memory unit
- seat potentiometers

Issues with the switches and wiring seem to be the least common, but not unheard of. Wear and age are their bane.

The latest revision seat memory controller also can have issues, but the couple I've taken apart don't seem to exhibit the same physical wear of the electrical traces some have reported. Others think that some of the controllers may have other internal issues. Fortunately these are somewhat inexpensive from salvage yards or even from places like eBay.

The most expensive and difficult option seems to be the in seat potentiometers. There are several of them, they all are around $200-250 each, and the seat has to come apart to test and replace. I've heard of this repair approaching $1000 at a dealer. Perhaps you can repair this oneself, and also source used pots from a wrecker, but I'm not sure how one would test them, etc. And then how long would they last? It would be really great if more generic and durable pots could be found to be substituted. It's just such as shame something so well researched and built (power seats) for decades is such a weak spot in these cars.

In my case I too have all the memory functions for the mirrors and steering wheel working just fine. The exit function works fine too. But even though the LED lights and the chime goes off for all three memory settings, the seat memory will not work. I have replaced the seat memory unit, and run the seat through all extreme positions and the LED still lights. So it would lead one to believe that the pots on my seat are OK, but I just don't know. I haven't put that much time into it yet, but plan to spend a weekend looking into it at some point.

The following users liked this post:
DevilDog (10-20-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Al, not to interrupt the direction of this thread, but that's the same exact issue I'm facing in my '96 XJ12. The exit function commands the steering wheel up and in, as well as the seat back.

The memory function of the mirrors and steering wheel works well, but I don't get a chime or a memory LED when setting them. I've attempted to position the seats in almost every position to see if the LED will light, to no avail.

I have a feeling our problems are very similar. I plan on doing research myself, and have PDU to assist me (if I can build the proper cable for this car), and I will let you know of any progress I've made on the project.

One question, are the memory seat modules (under the seat cushion) interchangeable with cars that have non-heated seats, etc, and through various years 95-97?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 10-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Actually it sounds like your LED and chime never rings, where my LED lights and the chime rings consistently. So you and I probably have different issues.

I don't know if the seat memory modules are or are not interchangeable. But I don't think there is a difference as I've not seen any other part numbers for seat memory units other than the two letter revisions at the end of the part number.

From my cursory reads of the various threads on this topic, if your memory LED does never lights & "ring" regardless of seat position, you likely have a switch pack and/or wiring issue.

That's not to say the memory module may not be a problem either.

Usually if any of the pots are intermittently bad, you will have areas of seat travel where the led lights sometimes and not others.... unless one pot is completely dead, then it is true that the led will never light.

*sigh*

Old 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

No memory light or chime. If enabled the wheel and seat do move back. I am stuck with either my dad's position or my mom's. Well, his is closer than hers so I will just live with it for now if there isn't a simple item to check/fix such as a fuse.

Thanks everyone!