XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

More Maintenance..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 04:47 AM
|
Default More Maintenance..

I am 7 months into X300 ownership, and loving it. Every time I get in to drive somewhere I am happy.
But a week ago I spoke the fateful words to my mechanic on the phone - "it's going well at the moment"

Now "Ol' Blue", or as I am thinking of renaming my car, Grandad's Axe, is in for a bit more work. 2 of 5 studs on one rear hub have stripped out, so it needs another rear hub. At the same time I am having a rebuilt harmonic balancer refitted (currently running a secondhand balancer while the original was rebuilt with new rubber sandwich glued in).

So I though I'd summarise 7 months' ownership, as it may be typical of others.
I emphasise my car hasn't ever properly broken down, apart from splitting a heater hose 3 months ago.
I have done 6000km, 2 oil & filter changes, 5 or 6 gearbox oil part-changes.
2 sets of new tyres - firstly on the 16" Turbines, then on a set of later X308 XJR Asteroid 18" wheels. I have imported a 3rd set of wheels, boxed factory-new Asteroids for spares, from UK.
I have had new hoses throughout the engine bay, rebuilt front original shocks, new rubber front suspension bushes, a new driveshaft hanger bearing, new diff bearings, fitted Andy's crank sensor bracket, fitted a pod air filter (a VERY good move - I recommend it as a good adjunct to Andy's bracket). Probably some other details on the invoices I cannot remember...
Also a modern, decent hands-free car stereo with good bass.

The car runs beautifully now, but I always want more power. 2 years ago I drove a 570bhp SLS AMG at Brooklands Merc-Benz World. I thought it was amazing but didn't seem as powerful as I thought 570 bhp would be.. so maybe I may never be satisfied.
I think the X300 is most rewarding at mid-throttle, where it is effortlessly comfortable, and lovely to drive. At full throttle it goes pretty quickly, but you know you could always have more.
So I want to savour the Axe for what it is, an 18 year old car that is smooth and refined and rewards driving.
I have abandoned silly ideas of remote turbo charging, transplanting XJR engines etc - it is what it is.

What next?
I may well get Blue Dorward, former TWR whizz, to make me a set of long secondary pipes back to the gearbox for a bit more mid-range torque (a la AJ6 Engineering 'TT' pipes).
In my warm climate, proper engine & gearbox oil coolers would be sensible too.
And then just enjoy

.. and maybe an R next time...

Old 08-27-2013 | 06:32 AM
|

I got the Axe back today.
It has the rebuilt harmonic balancer on it now. It is better.

Earlier this year the car was in for suspension bushes and the mechanic noticed a small nick in a fanbelt. As he removed the belt, the harmonic balancer decided it wanted to morph into two. So I had the option of secondhand, or wait for it to be rebuilt. I thought I would go the expensive way, have a secondhand one fitted and get the original sent off for repair. This week we swapped the rebuilt one back on.
I have noticed recently if I slowly rev the engine up to about 3000rpm, it gets a bit of a vibration going at about 1600 & 2400rpm (approx). This surprised me in a big smooth straight 6.
Now the rebuilt balancer is on, those small harsh periods in the rev range are completely smooth. Happy me.

the poor guy that rebuilds these in his weekends took 4 goes at it - the first 3 attempts didn't work properly - his wife (who is the contact person as he works away mid-week) told me the Indian rubber wouldn't glue properly the first 3 times! Not that confidence inspiring..
Anyway, it comes with a one-year warranty.

Costs - $250 NZD second-hand, $650 for a rebuild...
plus labour to fit.

Maybe I will spend even more money and have the other one rebuilt..

When I was in picking up the car, my mechanic showed me the car on the hoist. A pristine green SWB X300 Double-Six 6 litre. Like brand-new. Just in for a gearbox oil change before a big road trip. I was very envious. I need a V12 mistress before I shuffle off.

Last edited by AL NZ; 08-27-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2013 | 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm...don't know the currency conversions off-hand...but just got mine back from the Damper Doctor in California last night - rebuilt for $250 (incl shipping) and has a 3 yr warranty. (Looks like a paint job was included, as well)

Old 08-28-2013 | 03:37 AM
|

aholbro, a fool & his $$ are soon parted...maybe that's me.
However it was the going rate, he was recommended. The fact he took 4 goes to get it right can be viewed either way - (1) he is meticulous, so worth the money, or (2) watch out! I will let you know in a year or so..

With the Jag maintenance bills, I glance at them, steel myself, pay them straight away then hide the receipts from myself in the bottom drawer. Then when I drive my car, life is good and the money is forgotten.
This could, of course, change in the blink of an eye. I muttered the words 'timing chains' to my mechanic, and he muttered back 'the last one I did on an X300 came to about $6000' (NZD). So I dont think about stuff like that. No rattles either, so I will stick to my short interval oil changes - 5000km

Vive le Cat

Old 08-28-2013 | 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Isn't Doc's car for sale?

Old 08-28-2013 | 04:17 AM
|

I'd buy it in a flash, but he in Australia , I am in NZ.
Importing cars over a certain age is tricky.
I tried to suggest to my brother in Perth Australia that he buys an XJR... he is looking at Subarus. New Parenthood can do that to you (twins)

Old 08-28-2013 | 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

If your mechanic charged $4600 US for timing chains on an X300, I'd say it might be time to find a new mechanic. Just sayin.