XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

my 97 super charger doesnt sound like the videos

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default comparative driving experience of a xjr6

Maybe I should record it and post it if I can. Ive now done two standing starts. ac off, trac off, trans in sport. 1st I shoved my foot in it and it broke loose just long enough to drift sideways a bit. 2nd time it shuddered a bit from standstill but no tire slip. I have very wide aggressive tires for the factory rim though. 0-60 seemed ok. didnt time it. Highway accel from 60-? is remarkably strong. However, my supercharger whine is not as loud as those Ive heard in videos. I have a stock airbox. Maybe thats the reason but there is a prominent whistle that the whine may get as loud as and thats it. I have no experience with these smaller blowers so I have no idea what they should sound like.

The car has new steering put in it and only seems to have cranky shock bushings I soaked to shut up. It really is a solid car. And I am extremely pleased with it. In a few weeks since I bought it, I have repaired faulty seat controls, abs wiring, cruise control vacuum, wiper relays stereo tweeters and station buttons etc. Its got a pretty nice coat of emron on it and zero door dings or rust. I am very happy. I am just looking to see if the above sounds a little soft on the power. I have read of this model breaking the tires lose at shift points. I have ordered the andy bracket and am seriously considering the lower blower pulley along with some intercooling improvement. I will go see how much the local speed shop wants for a dyno. If its in reason I will do one between each mod.

Last edited by swaschka; 06-13-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

My SC is remarkably quiet. I do hear it at higher RPM a bit though, and I have the stock airbox setup as well.

At least yours will "break the tires free". Mine will not do that at all right now. I'm visiting a recommended indy Jag shop in Greensboro, NC in a few hours for a general going over and will see if there are some minor tweaks to get off-the-line response back where it is supposed to be.

I performed a 10 minute adjustment of the throttle cables and that already made a world of difference. So I suspect something like that is the culprit as the car runs great.

Mine pulls like a train at highway speeds though. Accelerating from 60+ is effortless.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,879 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by swaschka
However, my supercharger whine is not as loud as those Ive heard in videos. I have a stock airbox. Maybe thats the reason but there is a prominent whistle that the whine may get as loud as and thats it. I have no experience with these smaller blowers so I have no idea what they should sound like.

Jaguar made sure the noise was muted.

Just so I could enjoy hearing 'something' I bought a used (dirt cheap) XJ6 air cleaner lid and drilled a series of 2" holes in it. Now there's a pleasant growl. I saved the original lid in case I or the next owner wants to return to silence. The XJR lid, by the way, has a larger intake tube.

I am just looking to see if the above sounds a little soft on the power. I have read of this model breaking the tires lose at shift points.

Mine does, on the 1-2 shift.

But so much depends on the tires as some are much grippier than others ...and the air charge temperature. My XJR seems like a different car on 40ºF winter day versus a 90ºF summer day.

I have ordered the andy bracket and am seriously considering the lower blower pulley along with some intercooling improvement.

I think the intercooling improvements are almost mandatory with a pulley change.

I know of two guys who went with pulley changes and then reverted back to the stock pulley. Apparently the increased supercharger speed heats the air charge SO quickly that there's a great power increase for a single burst and then the power actually drops off quite a bit until the intercooler can catch up.

I added a fan to the intercooler radiator and a higher flow intercooler pump in hopes of adding some cooling margin. I don't know if anything was actually accomplished....never took any measurements. I did it on a 'can't hurt, might help' basis.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
At least yours will "break the tires free". Mine will not do that at all right now.

I enjoy the occasional burn out as much as the next guy, maybe more, but personally I'd recommend going easy here.

I had to replace my diff at just 75k and I'm pretty sure my driving habits had a lot to do with it.....as I didn't get an "R" version with the notion of driving around like I had a bowl of goldfish on the seat .

I think the Jag diff is only marginally capable of absorbing punishment.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
I performed a 10 minute adjustment of the throttle cables and that already made a world of difference. So I suspect something like that is the culprit as the car runs great.
Hi, Could you please be more specific on this ? is there any DIY on the internet?

My jag was not running for past couple of month and i will be happy to do some adjustments myself.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by alexcarter
Hi, Could you please be more specific on this ? is there any DIY on the internet?

My jag was not running for past couple of month and i will be happy to do some adjustments myself.
Yep, just do a quick search of the forum for "Throttle cable" or similar and there are a few threads with links to the TSB that details how to adjust the cables per spec which probably will take about an hour if you measure everything per the bulletin.

Or you can just undo the adjusters and slowly adjust them until the play is gone and engine idle just barely creeps up, then back them off a bit. That's the 10-minute adjustment

Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 PM

Doug:

Mine is rolling on suitomo 255 45 r17 htrzII's. Pretty aggressive. Only $295 for 4!!?? Just priced on tire rack. But, no way its gonna get even a chirp between 1 and 2. Thats where I start to get worried.

Last edited by swaschka; 06-13-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 PM

Al:

Just did a quick throttle cable adjust of the tensioners. Ie... engine running twist til it revs a bit and back off a touch. Quick drive and it def moves the travel closer to you. Standing start test... some side drift on take off but absolutely no way this cars gonna chirp on a gear change. So I wondered if the sport shift select is working. It changes the shift point a few mph up the dial but I dont see that it does anything else. Its certainly not any firmer. The shift from 1 to 2 under full throttle is turbine smooth. If the shift were firmer... maybe.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

The trans might be a tad soft and the tires stickier than most. I wouldn't let the lack of barking the tires on the 1-2 shift convince me that something is actually wrong.

I'm on 225/60x16 tires with a 3.58 diff.....which might well explain why mine breaks the tires loose more easily. I've run this set-up for so many years that I forget that I made the changes. Sorry.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 PM

doug:

How is that dif setup on the highway? Where does you tach sit at 70mph? I mean my car wants to go 100. I could give up some top end cruise if the highway revs arent too much.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

About a 250 rpm increase at 70 mph.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
swaschka (06-13-2014)