XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

My "new" 95 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "new" 95 xjr

hey guys, first off thanks for a great site! ive been lurking for the past week or so, so thought id go ahead and join. im brand new to the world of jaguar, just bought a 95 xjr, and guys, i do think i got a jewel with this one. i intended to buy it, fix it up, and sell it, but the more i look at it, i just want to keep it...

so heres some background info and some questions also

the car again is a 95 xjr, green with beige interior. i bought it for, get this, $380 in non running condition. so far the issues with the car are as follows:
1) trunk wont open with the key
2) trunk release wont work from inside of car(even with jumper cables installed at under hood jump terminal
3) alternator is locked up, and caused the belt to fail
4) paint is fading on roof
5) power door locks dont function with key, or with switch inside of car
6) climatecontrol just reads err"
7) it has the black jaguar hood ornament, and 2 black wheels and 2 silver wheels( i dont think its been painted, but ive never seen a black leaper, or black wheels on a jag)

so i guess thats it for now, i havent really done a complete check on the car, just loved the price tag so i bought it! any info you guys can share on some of my problems would be greatly appreciated. also, is this considered an x300? im sorry i dont know the first thing about these cars! it does look like it has a newer supercharger and steering rack in it, so im really hoping a got a steal and itll just need a new alternator to get going again!

thanks again,
andy

Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 6,337 Likes on 5,522 Posts

1 & 2 sound like it could be the valet switch.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by asativa
1) trunk wont open with the key
As norri said, or it could be siezed up from lack of use (common X300 problem).

Last edited by Oubadah; 02-21-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations on your new car. Hope you get it running soon. Your car is indeed an X300.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

That sounds a nice deal . Have many happy miles, if you need parts our vendors will gladly help you out

Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM

thanks guys for some input, i have ordered an alternator and am going to install it towards the end of the week. any other thoughts on my other issues? anyone ever seen black wheels on a green jag? im going to have to paint the wheels i dont know if i want to just paint them silver or what. also, i am unable to view the file oubadah posted, is this because im a new member?
thanks again, im looking forward to be a part of this forum
andy

Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM

anyone ever seen black wheels on a green jag? im going to have to paint the wheels i dont know if i want to just paint them silver or what.
Black wheels... Sounds like something a boy racer might do and I can't imagine that it looks very good!

Are they genuine XJR wheels like this:

My "new" 95 xjr-qfbpd.jpg

If I was you I'd be restoring them as close to their original finish as possible (just my preference, of course). I don't know how they re-finish alloy mags (the jaguar finish was some kind of clear cote). Powder coating is an option.

also, i am unable to view the file oubadah posted, is this because im a new member?
Are you having trouble opening it, or can you just not download it in the first place?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If the paint on the roof has just oxidised, a rotary polisher and some fine cutting compound can work wonders. If the laquer/clear coat is lifting then probably it'll need to be removed and painted again. Best ask a pro for advice.
Did you try the climate control test and diagnosis. It's all documented in the workshop manuals which are available on cd rom. Failing that you might search the archives here or section 11.3 of the x300 ebook on jag-lovers. These's a lot of info on it so I won't explain all here. Also do an internet search for something like 'jaguar xj climate control 'err' message', as I'm sure I've read something about it before.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Oubadah- yes those are the wheels. They currently look like ****, with 2 being black and 2 just like your pic. Thanks for ur help, when I click the link, it says I don't have the privileges to open

Andy

Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Man u guys are great! Straight6, thanks so much, I'll download appropriate manuals and start getting busy. I will definitely report back and post pics as I make progress.
Andy

Also, since I'm going to paint the wheels, what is everyones opinion on color. The car is green. I'm thinking either the original silver, black?, or like a gunmetal/anthracite. Has anyone painted the hood leaper before? Currently, mine is black, but I want to change it to silver.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:08 PM

asativa, send me your email address via private message and I'll foward you the document.

Climate control error could be something as simple as a damaged/missing external temp sensor. Check in the brake cooling ducts that both sensors are present.

What kind of finish is on your leaper? Can you not just strip back to the original chrome? I wouldn't try painting over it with silver paint if that's what you're suggesting. If it's really bad you could have it re-chromed (shouldn't cost too much for a small item like this)

Last edited by Oubadah; 02-19-2011 at 04:16 PM.