XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

My X300 Rebuild Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Amazing. What an accomplishment. Enjoy the car. I am sure now you know every part and process of the car. Does it feel different when you drive a car that you have pretty much rebuilt?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 517 Posts

Thanks guys.

The first drive of the car was a proud but very nervous experience. Whenever I do any job on a car there is always some nagging doubt whether I have put everything back properly and tightened every nut properly. When you've rebuilt every bit that feeling is magnified 100 times.

Now that I've been driving it a couple of years I do have confidence that nothing is going to fall off

Old 01-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Amazing, I love my old XJR6 but like your original shell, it is rather patched up so fully understand the drive for a 'new' '95 rather than just buying a later model. Two questions regarding the front suspension.
1. I am currently refurbishing my front subframe and have some Superflex polybushes to fit in the lower wishbones (i have already fitted the top ones to good effect). As the bushes can slide axialy on the crush tubes unlike the original bonded rubber parts, they will require a washer ether side to act as a thrust bearing surface. There are original heavy washers on the inboard side of the wishbone arms and I guess the rear bush will be against the bolt head, but do I need a washer on the front before the Tie bar goes on to stop half the bush working its way out even if forward movement is adequately prevented by the rear inner washer?
2. I have recent V-mounts but thinking of replacing the rear subframe mounting bushes whilst it is off. Looking at the pictures in your PDF, the small void is pointing directly down if pictured on the car. On my subframe the bushes are tilted slightly, perhaps 1/8 of a turn compared to yours. If I where to replace the bushes and fit them pointing down, due the the eccentic hole, It may not fit back on the car. Do you know the specified posittion?
Thanks, John.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hi John

1. Yes I fitted a washer between the bush and the tie bar. Not sure it's required but it felt like the right thing to do. See picture.

2. The question on the alignment of the subframe rear bush is an interesting one. I never found a definitive reference. I've attached a picture of my original where the bush appears to be rotated by about 40 degrees. I found a number of other pictures at the time that all had variations.

I concluded that the angle was not that critical and it was more important to just get them the same on both sides for alignment. I adopted the straight down position as the bush is primarily to locate the subframe longitudinally and in that position it would have most rubber front and back.

You will notice in the picture in the original PDF that there is a notch in the bush housing and the bush void has a sort of pointy bit. I did wonder whether the pointer should align to the notch? But who knows?

Attached Thumbnails My X300 Rebuild Project-img_8681.jpg   My X300 Rebuild Project-img_8073.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Originally Posted by b1mcp
2. The question on the alignment of the subframe rear bush is an interesting one. I never found a definitive reference. I've attached a picture of my original where the bush appears to be rotated by about 40 degrees. I found a number of other pictures at the time that all had variations.

For what they're worth, the photos at the link below show how the subframe pivot bushes were oriented on our '93 XJ40, and how I used a center punch to mark their position before I removed the old bushes:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Guys,
Brendan, where did you get the washers as they look bigger than standard for the hole diameter if you know what I mean?
Regarding the rear bushes, I agree in thinking that the solid sections should be front and rear to resist fore and aft movement, especially aft movement during braking. As braking will also try to rotate the subframe, lifting the rear arms relative to the body, I would guess the small void should be at the bottom, the point being to progressively limit that movement. That said in my frame and other examples the bushes are tilted somewhat, so not sure what is best practice.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure TBH where I got the washers from. There's a few suppliers I used for nuts and bolts. Have a look as these

namrick.co.uk

nutandboltshop.com

Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

I have done a few things in life that very few others have done. Those things have given me great joy as I approach 80. And this project falls in the same category which I am sure will give you great joy down that long road of life.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:42 AM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

I think a slap on the back would not be too late, I am sure you are the envy of all of us that would like to completely rebuild our cars
Thanks for sharing the story and photos, it has certainly inspired me to be a little bit braver with my now seemingly basic repairs.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts

That's the color I all way's wanted. Congratulations on build.

Thank you.

Larry Louton