XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Mystery wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Mystery wire

I have a mystery wire,( 97 x300 executive) as shown in the attached pic, which I am curious about. It enters into the boot/trunk alongside a loom, which also carried a stray black wire, which had a lug attached. This black wire was an earth, or at least went to earth somewhere, as diagnosed by a test, so I just fixed it to a convenient earth point. The myster WHITE wire, also goes to earth, but has a spade type connector on its end. It seems to be too short to reach anywhere specific, and there is nothing present that might connect to it. Incidentally, I have the dead radio syndrome, but all cables/connections are present and correct at the antenna, so I have ruled that out. Any thoughts? A look through the wiring diagrams hasn't revealed anything either. My only guess might be an amp, which isnt present??

Attached Thumbnails Mystery wire-mystery-wire-2.jpg  
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 8,142 Likes on 4,912 Posts

It looks like the TRANSIT RELAY energizer wire. The battery was connected to the relay to disable the power while in transport. The ignition switch energizes the relay to establish power to the car until the isolation relay was disconnected at the 'POINT OF SALE' to the destination dealer. The relays were returned to Jaguar and the wire was no longer required for any purpose other than to cause the car owner to harass the Jag mechanics as to 'Where the wire goes???'

Don't attach it to anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Bob you are a trove a helpful information! Thanks for all your shared insight!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
I have a mystery wire,( 97 x300 executive) as shown in the attached pic, which I am curious about. It enters into the boot/trunk alongside a loom, which also carried a stray black wire, which had a lug attached. This black wire was an earth, or at least went to earth somewhere, as diagnosed by a test, so I just fixed it to a convenient earth point. The myster WHITE wire, also goes to earth, but has a spade type connector on its end. It seems to be too short to reach anywhere specific, and there is nothing present that might connect to it. Incidentally, I have the dead radio syndrome, but all cables/connections are present and correct at the antenna, so I have ruled that out. Any thoughts? A look through the wiring diagrams hasn't revealed anything either. My only guess might be an amp, which isnt present??
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...highlight=subs had questions about these wires before, think these are the same?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 8,142 Likes on 4,912 Posts

The wires that energize the isolation relay are within the area of the battery terminals. Some were attached to the BATT pos+ and some to the BATT neg-.
Some had 1 wire and some had a 2 terminal connector.

bob gauff

Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Thank you to all the various fonts of wisdom for your replies. As I suspected then, it is for something either defunct, redundant or non existant. No worries as everything electrical works, just a ****ling curiosity. You know how it is......................