XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New member with a '97 XJ6 - will be asking many novice questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New member with a '97 XJ6 - will be asking many novice questions!

Hi all.

Just joined this forum in order to get help and advice on fixing and caring for my beautiful XJ6 Sport. Here's my forum intro post:

After owning my car for just over a year and not giving it the love and care it deserves, and recently needing a new catalytic converter and developing a misfire, I have now decided to set aside some time and money to start looking after it.

My first simple question is this: What kind of a code reader do I need for my car? The local garage said that this car is pre-OBDII, but from a cursory read through a few posts here, that is not the case. Can someone clarify? Are there better/worse readers and if so are the better ones worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance!

PS: The misfire is probably to do with the injector, as I have eliminated the possibility of a faulty plug or coil, and compression check came out positive. I will probably ask for more advice on this matter soon!

Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

buy a elm327 from amazon for $10 and it connects to your phone. The car IS OBD-II because it is after '96

Old 04-18-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by omgimali
buy a elm327 from amazon for $10 and it connects to your phone. The car IS OBD-II because it is after '96
From the Amazon page:
'Works On All OBD II Vehicles (1996+ in USA) and EOBD vehicles (Petrol cars from 2001+ and diesel cars from 2003/2004 in Europe).'

My car is a UK vehicle so I assume this means it won't work on mine?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1 to ELM

The low cost solution for reading Powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. If you want to go for more sophisticated scantool/diagnostics options, see the thread in General Tech Help forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

Troubleshooting the misfire without first reading the codes could prove an expensive route.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Objak Ardhow (04-20-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

+1 on cheap Elm327 clone. I've had great luck with several of them ....for about 1-2 years each. Tried a much more expensive scantool adapter and it freezes after 20 seconds or so on all 3 X300's, but works a treat on the X202's and Fords.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The auto parts stores in the USA will read the codes for free in order to get customers . Easy verification that it is OBD - II see if there are stores that do that in England . OBD - II was not mandated in Europe until 2001 but in 1996 in the USA . Jaguar may ( ? ) have just made all cars in 1996 OBD - II . If not you can follow the OBD - 1 or 1.5 if it has that which is a series of check engine light short and long flashes to give you code numbers like a moris code . Not all cars have the same test configuration setup ( jumper pins A to B on the car test receptical and cycle the key 3 times on GM's ) so you'll specifically have to find the right one for jaguar . If you have OBD - II I recommend ELM - 327 on EBAY . Notice a difference between hand held code scanner tools and the ELM - 327 which give you the codes and the code reset option , the ELM - 327 gives you that plus live data values of each device your ECU is seeing as you drive around and able to play it back at home as a saved file . See Youtube video " OBD2 Automotive PC Scan Tool Demo " to get a sense of what it does . You can notice if something is out of range that are fickle in latching on a code like O2 sensors . Notice the hardware is either USB laptop or Bluetooth ( but not both ) I recommend USB Laptop as is more versatile . It has an easier to read screen and you may not be able to playback the screen video . I went through the learning curve in getting it to work through the issues and can break it down into 3 columns . First column would be Windows 8 /10 compatible . Second column is the device driver or firmware . And Third column operating software . In the second column most of the ELM - 327's are counterfeit and have problems here , there is a v1.1 v1.3 v1.5 and a v2.1 . In the Third column the free software downlaods are a gimmick that only gives you their display window but does not function , you have to buy the licence key to see anything . . What I use is ScanXL Professional which is much better then the brand used in the video . Private mail me for I have more information for you .

Thanks , Joe

Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'll borrow an OBD-II scanner at work tomorrow and just see if it works. If it does I'll follow the consensus advice and get the ELM-327, otherwise I'll need to look for ODB-I options

Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
+1 to ELM

The low cost solution for reading Powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. If you want to go for more sophisticated scantool/diagnostics options, see the thread in General Tech Help forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

Troubleshooting the misfire without first reading the codes could prove an expensive route.

Graham
Hi GGG

I borrowed a code reader from a colleague, and it reads P1621. This is apparently means 'Control Module Long Term Memory Performance/ Immobilizer Code Words Do Not Match', but I have also read that it is a code that is not used on this vehicle so doesn't mean anything. Can I simply ignore this code?

I'll open a new thread this evening to troubleshoot the misfire, in which I'll include more vehicle details and diagnostic checks I've done so far.