XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with questions

Hi All,

I've just purchased myself a 1994 XJR, and initially decided just to do it up & sell it, but the car's growing on me & I may end up keeping it!
It's got 140k miles on it so it's done a bit of mileage.

The good bits:
Drives very well, engine pulls smoothly and the gearbox changes nicely.
All the electrics work, and there's no warning lights
It's generally rust-free for the year

The bad bits
The main problem is the paintwork - some lacquer peel on the bonnet, rear quarter and the occasional spot elsewhere
There is a spot that's rusting on the rear passenger wheel arch
The front leather seats are in need of repair or replacement
The boot lights dangle down & seem to be missing something to attach them again
The stereo LCD display for the time doesn't work as it's faded & the speakers sound 'scratchy'
The front bumper has two holes that seem to be missing either wipers or washer jets
The sunroof motor works, but the sunroof jams as soon as it starts to go backwards to open
It sounds like there's a faint knocking noise coming from the suspension somewhere!
One of the belts in the engine bay (there are two visible, it's the smaller of the two) is worn & needs replacing.
There seems to be a small leak coming from the power steering somewhere.
The engine has a slightly high idle (around 1,200-1,300 rpm)
The electric seats go forward, but not backwards!

I think there's a good car somewhere here - the main issue being the peeling lacquer. I've booked it in for an MOT before I start spending money on it to see how much it needs before I do anything major!

If anyone has any suggestions for any of the above issues, I'd be most grateful!
Thanks

Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 665 Likes on 573 Posts

Welcome to this forum as well Thorpy

If you look in the stickies on this forum, you will find everything you need.

Last edited by jimbov8; 06-09-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Welcome!

New owner here myself, and loving every minute of it so far!

These are great cars, and I'm already receiving loads of compliments

Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Your list of "negatives" are pretty much common among these cars, presuming you have an x300, as opposed to the xj40. If so, your would be among the very earliest x300's produced and so, didn't have some of the niggles ironed out as time went on.

Mos owners will have experienced some of the negatives you mention, but you just seem to have them all in the one car! But fear not. All are fixable and to be expected. High idle is often a simple fix, by cleaning the idle control valve, or more often, cleaning the throttle body and replacing or re seating the throttle return spring.

Knocking suspension is common and usually down to worn lower shock bushes.

Erratic radio also common and they have a tendency to just die!

Laquer peel is common and can be retouched, but a total strip and respray of the laquer is the way to go.

Rust appearing on the rear wheel arch isn't uncommon either and requires the usual approach.

All told, the engine and gearbox are very reliable, some say bomb proof, but this is dependent upon maintenance and regular fluid changes etc.

Keep us posted and there are plenty on here who will guide you through the process of shortening the "to do" list!

Old 06-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks for your reply sogood.. It is indeed a very early X300 XJR supercharger & all!
I've made a start by replacing the missing CD changer magazine, and intend to do a full service next weekend including plugs, all filters, oil, and all the belts.
I've noticed that there's actually three belts visible under the bonnet, not two as I previously thought (I've ordered the two - drivebelt & aircon belt) - any idea which the third belt is?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by thorpyuk
Thanks for your reply sogood.. It is indeed a very early X300 XJR supercharger & all! I've made a start by replacing the missing CD changer magazine, and intend to do a full service next weekend including plugs, all filters, oil, and all the belts. I've noticed that there's actually three belts visible under the bonnet, not two as I previously thought (I've ordered the two - drivebelt & aircon belt) - any idea which the third belt is? Thanks
Since you mentioned the drive belt and air on belt, I'm assuming the 3rd belt is the alternator belt.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

You may be pleased to know that in 1994 they only built 1340 xjr6's, and this if for the whole world. The xjr6 is relatively rare at any year, I myself have only seen two other xjr6's in the last five years. I plant to keep my car because every car I have had as a kid ended up being worth a fortune 20 years down the road, and besides my car gets plenty of compliments.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks AlbBoliviar - i've ordered the aux belt.
Jeremiah - yes, it seems so rare that many sites post 1995-1997 for the XJR, negating to mention that there ever was a 1994 model.
This particular one actually lived in Jeresey for some of it's life, and has come across to the UK in around 2000.

I've had quotes for the rust/paintwork, and the leather seat repair. It's booked in for MOT on the 1st July (UK test), and i have purchased a used bonnet on ebay which should sort that out (I need to order a leaper though as this one has the holes for it)

I have read a little about the electric seat module blowing because of the wing mirrors (bizzare)! Is that true? Do i need to replace both mirrors as well as the seat module to get it working again?

Thanks gents

Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Thanks AlbBoliviar - i've ordered the aux belt.
Jeremiah - yes, it seems so rare that many sites post 1995-1997 for the XJR, negating to mention that there ever was a 1994 model.

That's because the ones built in calendar year 1994 are considered, and legally identified, as '1995 Model Year' in many places....including the USA where so many were sold.

But there *are* XJRs that were made prior to the supercharged XJR/6 on the X300 platform. These were XJ40 cars. As far as I know none left the Jaguar factory as XJRs but, instead, were upfitted by an outside company (TWR perhaps? Just a guess)....with Jaguar's blessing.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 AM

Hi guys - i've earmarked sat/sun to do a full service on it, and as part of that, to try & clean the throttle body.

Is there a how-to guide on how to do it somewhere? Mine's an early XJR, and i've read up a bit on the throttle system, and it sounds rather in-depth, but i was just after a simple how-to guide on the basic clean, and what not to do etc...

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great! (I have checked the how-to section but i cant see one there)

Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 AM

Hi guys - i've earmarked sat/sun to do a full service on it, and as part of that, to try & clean the throttle body.

Is there a how-to guide on how to do it somewhere? Mine's an early XJR, and i've read up a bit on the throttle system, and it sounds rather in-depth, but i was just after a simple how-to guide on the basic clean, and what not to do etc...

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great! (I have checked the how-to section but i cant see one there)

Thanks
If you do a search under "throttle body" or "high idle" you will certainly find what you're looking for. It's a simple enough DIY job.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

The best way is to remove the throttle body. Since you have an XJR that'll be quite a job. Some have reported being able to remove the TB with disassembling most of the left side of the engine but, personally, I've never been able to figure out how. I just can't figure out how to reach the bolts, coolant hoses etc. So, as a result, I've had to resort to removing the intercooler/intake manifold. Many hours of labor.

However.....

If your octopus hose needs replacing, well, the inlet manifold has to come off....so it's an ideal time to combine both jobs.

As an alternative.....

You can remove the TB ducting and sorta get your hand up into the TB for an on-the-car cleaning. You can't really see what you're doing, though, so it's a matter of wetting a rag with carb cleaner and wiping out as much gunk as you can.

Whichever way you go don't let the TB sensors become outright saturated with your cleaner/solvent.

Cheers
DD

PS- if you remove the TB take good notes on the vacuum and small coolant hoses. If you attach 'em to the wrong nipples you'll be in a world of hurt

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-04-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 AM

True, and my mistake! I was thinking XJ6 and its' relative simplicity. A couple of bolts, unhook a cable or two and the throttle body is off.

Yours is indeed a different kettle of fish.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks both - Doug, i think for now i'll give the 'clean on car' option a try. I've had a look over the car, and it looks like a couple of breather hoses have recently been replaced, so im hoping that those are mainly ok, but obviously i still have my slightly high idle to deal with.

When i turn the engine on for the first time it's fine - around 750rpm, but if i touch the throttle, it can (not always) go up to around 1,300rpm

Is the throttle body the square block that seems to plug into the supercharger? Also, where are the sensors located so i can avoid them?
Thanks!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:17 AM

Also, what's the correct spark plug gap for an XJR?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Since you have an XJR that'll be quite a job. Some have reported being able to remove the TB with disassembling most of the left side of the engine but, personally, I've never been able to figure out how.

Of course I meant to say.....

Some have reported being able to remove the TB WITHOUT disassembling most of the left side of the engine but, personally, I've never been able to figure out how.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Also, what's the correct spark plug gap for an XJR?
Thanks

Spec is .038"

I'm running .035" these days under the notion that the slightly smaller gap might be a bit easier on the coils.

<shrug>

Real world....probably doesn't help

Cheers
DD

Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks Doug, appreciate the reply - that's about 0.9mm then by the look of it. It's the next job if I can finally get these infernal belts on!!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM

Guys I've now got the following to do:

Finish swapping over the three drivebelts
Oil, Air & Fuel filters
New radiator rubber grommits
Spark Plugs
New camcover gasket set

BUT, these are basics to all cars. What sort of mods / changes / fixes should I be looking at to get this (94 XJR) properly sorted? I know there's loads of other bits & pieces (Such as XJEngineers timing bracket etc) that enthusiasts advise.

If anyone could suggest some useful jobs/mods that would be really appreciated! ALso - is there a 'how-to' for changing spark plugs?
Thanks

Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I bought my 96 XJR6 for a reasonable price, but then the truism "the most expensive thing to buy is a cheap Jag" smacked me in the face.....

In addition to oil and filters, I'd get an auto trans filter kit and do a fluid and filter change. Our XJR's have a GM 4L80 trans which is really quite bulletproof:

GM 4L80-E transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total fluid capacity: 13.5 US quarts
Pan drop and filter removal: ~ 7.7 litres drained.
Pan drain alone: ~ 4 US quarts.
Fluid spec: Dexron III

Yours might have a drain plug. Mine does. Dexron III is old spec, so it can get by with nothing fancy fluid-wise. I initially used Castrol mineral ATF, but now I'm doing periodic pan drains and slowly flushing the whole thing with synthetic ATF (Amsoil brand).

Do a differential oil change too while you're in the oily mode.

Changing sparkplugs? Easy. Remove the plastic cover, remove 2 bolts holding each cylinder's ignition coil, disconnect the wire connector, pull the coil straight out, and your plug is at the bottom of longish hole. You'll need a good extension to your socket wrench, but otherwise nothing troublesome.

BTW, I'm attaching a TSB about plugs. Use Champion Copper Plus RC12YC, gapped at .035" or 0.9mm.

The clunking will undoubtedly be various rubber bushes. Plan on eventually replacing them all.

Attached Files

Quick Reply: New owner with questions