XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jvitez,
I'll certainly sort the diff / gearbox fluids when i get chance.
Maybe my spark plug layout is slightly different, but i can't see two bolts holding each individual coil - just a long metal part (assume this is the fuel line), and a plastic cable carrier holiding the leads... i'll take a look tomorrow if i get my belts all sorted!
The TSB seems just to relate to the 4.0NA, and mine's the XJR, so i think my NGK plugs should be ok (standard ones)

Appreciate the reply!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm, could you post a pic of your engine with the plastic cover off? I wouldn't have thought there would be much change in the X300 XJR in it's short model run. Maybe early models had a different plug wire layout?

Yes, the TSB is labelled for normally aspirated engines, but look a the very last line: "AJ16 (4.0L) Supercharged."

There is a thread on here about sparkplugs where Andy who was part of the engineering design team, recommends the Champion plugs I referenced. Many gents do seem to have no problems with many brands, but it regularly comes up that various problems were fixed by a change to these Champions. I had a misfiring coil that fried my new NGK plug with too much carbon build-up, and this NGK wasn't cleanable. I replaced it with the Champion RC12YC and all is well. This Champion is also easily cleanable if need be.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by thorpyuk
Thanks Jvitez,
I'll certainly sort the diff / gearbox fluids when i get chance.
Maybe my spark plug layout is slightly different, but i can't see two bolts holding each individual coil - just a long metal part (assume this is the fuel line), and a plastic cable carrier holiding the leads... i'll take a look tomorrow if i get my belts all sorted!
The TSB seems just to relate to the 4.0NA, and mine's the XJR, so i think my NGK plugs should be ok (standard ones)

Appreciate the reply!
You need to undo the three (T20?) bolts holding down the plastic cover that says "Jaguar" in red. It sits across the top of the cam cover. The coils are hiding under there.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by theJPster
You need to undo the three (T20?) bolts holding down the plastic cover that says "Jaguar" in red. It sits across the top of the cam cover. The coils are hiding under there.

Thanks Peter - I must have been looking at the injectors lol. Done now
Jvitez - thanks, i'll keep an eye on the plugs - the ngk's have gone in, and it's running ok, but maybe i'll check them in around 10k miles.

I've also thankfully managed to sort the belts out

Next problem - the scratchy sounding speakers. Anyone have any experience with scratchy sound?

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 AM

Hi all,
Thought i'd provide you with an update on how i'm progressing! So far, this is what i've done:

Changed Oil & Filter
Swapped plugs
Changed air & fuel filters
Changed all 3 drivebelts
Purchased a casette for the CD changer (other one was missing)

So the basic service is now done i'm awaiting an MOT date. Then i need to turn my attention to the bodywork.
The bonnet is covered with laquer peel, so i have sourced a replacement in the same colour, which is excellent condition. (I just need a leaping cat!)

Then i have, on the bodywork, one rear wheel arch to be cut & replaced, the rear drivers quarter to be re-laquered, and some bubbling around the sunroof to get sorted out.

I'll need to keep bodywork spend low (preferably to no more than around £600).

Then it's try & figure out why the speakers sound so scratchy :s

Thanks for al your help so far everyone!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi all,
Thought i'd provide you with an update on how i'm progressing! So far, this is what i've done:

Changed Oil & Filter
Swapped plugs
Changed air & fuel filters
Changed all 3 drivebelts
Purchased a casette for the CD changer (other one was missing)

So the basic service is now done i'm awaiting an MOT date. Then i need to turn my attention to the bodywork.
The bonnet is covered with laquer peel, so i have sourced a replacement in the same colour, which is excellent condition. (I just need a leaping cat!)

Then i have, on the bodywork, one rear wheel arch to be cut & replaced, the rear drivers quarter to be re-laquered, and some bubbling around the sunroof to get sorted out.

I'll need to keep bodywork spend low (preferably to no more than around £600).

Then it's try & figure out why the speakers sound so scratchy :s

Thanks for al your help so far everyone!
Sounds good that you're making progress on your car! The things you've done (fluid changes) are the first things I did when I picked up my XJR and after all the fluids were changed out, I'm slowly doing everything else cosmetic wise and minor mechanical fixes.

As for your speakers, with a car this age and more than likely the speakers were not changed out, the foam surround has ripped and that is why they sound so scratchy.

The speakers on the non premium system are designed for both highs,mids and lows and tend to blow out after so long. With my XJ6 I've actually switched all 4 door speakers out to after market speakers. They sound a lot nicer than the factory.
Now with the premium system there are tweeters all around the car so the door speakers are dedicated to just mids and some lows as the subwoofer in the rear deck is dedicated to mainly all the lows. I've noticed in my XJR that the subwoofer is the only speaker that's blown out but all the door speakers and tweeters still sound brand new. Now I'm not sure what brand the tweeters are but the door speakers are Harmon Kardon. I think some premium systems had alpine speakers? Not exactly sure. If you could get a replacement set of the Harmon Kardon door speakers then the system would sound pretty good even without a subwoofer.

Here is how I have my sound system setup in both cars
XJ6 Non premium system -
Head unit - Aftermarket Pioneer
Front door - 3 way 6.5" pioneer speakers
Rear Doors - 6.5" 2 way G35 factory speakers
Subwoofer - 8" box behind my drivers seat powered by a Sony xplod amp

XJR Premium system -
Factory head unit and factory speakers.
Blown out subwoofer but the system still produces decent base due to the Harmon Kardon door speakers.

I plan on installing a subwoofer behind the drivers seat just like in the XJ6 and using the factory connections to the original subwoofer in the rear deck

Also the reason I have the subwoofer behind the drivers seat is because of the placement of the gas tank which is directly between the back seat and the trunk. I would've needed a much bigger subwoofer in the trunk to get the same affect as having the small subwoofer in the cabin.

I hope that helps with the speaker situation. I would imagine the factory non premium speakers can be easily obtained but I think those will eventually blow out also within a year or so. But that also depends on how you listen to it.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Thanks AlbBolivar, that's really good info. How do i find out if my XJR has the premium, or the standard option? Then i can decide on a way forward...

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks AlbBolivar, that's really good info. How do i find out if my XJR has the premium, or the standard option? Then i can decide on a way forward...
If you have a subwoofer in the rear deck, that's when you have the premium sound system and also about 2" tweeters on the front pillars and also on the rear door panels by the ashtrays
Also if it says Harmon Kardon/Alpine on the door speaker grills

Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Hi All,
She's passed her MOT! Failed on wheel bearing & rear parking brake (doesn't help that i drove it with the handbrake on - i'm not used to auto's!), but that was soon sorted out.

I've also put a new bonnet on, complete with Leaper - as you can see, she looks good:
Name:  Bonnet.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  95.2 KB

The next issues to look at are:

The drivers electric seat goes forward, but not backwards
The speakers soundnig scratchy (They are standard system in here)
The rest of the bodywork - i'm just waiting to get her on the road for a quote on the rear arch and laquer on the rear quarter

Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Congrats.

Not to pick....but your leaper seems a bit far aft?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Looks like you used to have headlight washers in the front bumper too. The holes are there.....

Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 AM

aholbro1 yes, it's probably an aftermarket fit on this particular bumper. Looks good though

al_roe yeah thats another thing, although i just can't seem to find any, so an alternative may be to fit the bumper finisher instead. Apparently they get ripped off in automatic car washes!

Has anyone come across the electric seats moving forward but not back before?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Electric seats moving one direction only is not uncommon. It is usually due to damage of a printed circuit on the module board. They can often be repaired.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks RJ237 - do you mean the control module under the seat?
How do i get it off to ahve a look? Do i have to remove the entire seat first?