XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No oil cooler on non-European X300 XJRs? Wonder why....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Question No oil cooler on non-European X300 XJRs? Wonder why....

Was reading some other various threads on the topic of leaking oil filter bypass block o-ring leaks, etc... and recalled that I had also read somewhere that XJRs other than in Europe have oil coolers and wondered why other regions didn't receive them.

Oil Cooler-4.0 Litre Supercharged-Europe - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

I also wonder where it is mounted. I'd suspect it is behind the lower grill opening, but it isn't clear in the diagram below. I wonder if the mounting locations are there and unused on cars not currently fitted.

Attached Thumbnails No oil cooler on non-European X300 XJRs?  Wonder why....-sb5905.jpg  
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,989 Likes on 7,216 Posts

I suspect it's a matter of Jaguar speculating on what type of driving the cars will likely be exposed to....and deciding that the cooler wouldn't be needed in some markets.

Older V12 jags had two oil cooler configurations. One was a conventional full flow system. The other (on USA cars) was a partial-flow system that cooled some of the oil, some of the time. I think the rationale behind the latter system was to help prevent the oil from staying too cold, not to keep it from getting to hot.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

As an aside, I wonder if one could adapt the oil cooler location and mounting hardware, maybe even the oil cooler itself as an additional intercooler radiator to augment the existing?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Years ago I had grand plans to use the lower grille opening for a second intercooler radiator. Even bought a lot of the stuff to do it. Never found the time, though.

I *did* install a dedicated e-fan for the intercooler radiator, though

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
al_roethlisberger (04-18-2015), plums (08-06-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Question So did the fan help keep things cooler, or not?

Originally Posted by Doug
Years ago I had grand plans to use the lower grille opening for a second intercooler radiator. Even bought a lot of the stuff to do it. Never found the time, though.

I *did* install a dedicated e-fan for the intercooler radiator, though

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers
DD
Interesting, so a few questions/observations:

1. What type of fan did you use? Clearly it must have been an automotive grade exterior fan.
  2. You don't have any photos of the fan installed, how did you mount it?
  3. Were you able to verify if the fan reduced the coolant temp any, at rest, in motion, or may have even been a detriment?

Finally, in photo 4, it is interesting to note how that white connector for what appears to be the airbag sensor system is clipped to the wiring harness. I was thinking about asking the forum about this clip as mine was just laying free and it was clear that "C" clip was meant to clip to something. So question answered!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger

1. What type of fan did you use? Clearly it must have been an automotive grade exterior fan.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]

No, I didn't take any readings. The whole idea came from my Thunderbird SC ownership. Adding the extra fan was, well, something that you 'just did' ....because everyone else was doing it !

Cheers
DD

Old 04-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Ahh, I see the fan now .... not sure how I missed that! HA

That sucker is BIG!!

Well, I'd have to suspect it helps when the car isn't moving (or moving slowly) to keep underhood and intercooler temps down some.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Considering the fact, that nearly all Europe (except Norway) has speed limits which nearly all exceed 130 kph (which should be about 85 mph), the possible speeds driven are higher than most of the world.

On top of that, European cars are easily taken abroad to go to Germany and to be floored. So technically, European cars are most likely to be driven harder and faster than in other parts of the world.

So Jaguar needed to set precautions... My XJ8 doesn't have an oil cooler... My XJ-S V12 does. Performance cars nearly all have overly massive built cooling systems here. As a fact, which US car needs cooling ducts for the brakes? The XJ6 and XJ8 have them...

Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Considering the fact, that nearly all Europe (except Norway) has speed limits which nearly all exceed 130 kph (which should be about 85 mph), the possible speeds driven are higher than most of the world.

On top of that, European cars are easily taken abroad to go to Germany and to be floored. So technically, European cars are most likely to be driven harder and faster than in other parts of the world.

So Jaguar needed to set precautions... My XJ8 doesn't have an oil cooler... My XJ-S V12 does. Performance cars nearly all have overly massive built cooling systems here. As a fact, which US car needs cooling ducts for the brakes? The XJ6 and XJ8 have them...

.... could be I guess, but sometimes things like this are driven by emissions and fuel economy issues, even though it doesn't seem likely. I wonder if there is some relationship with running the engine oil warmer that would have any effect in that area that may have been North American specific? Just speculation on my part of course

Would be cool to get a salvage set from Europe and fit it though, or like I was suggesting maybe use it as an augmented intercooler radiator.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

In fact, if anyone ends with a wrecked/salvage non-US XJR and doesn't need the oil cooler and mounting bits (don't need the lines), let me know. I think it would be an interesting experiment to try to mount this as an additional intercooler.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone have a photo of this oil cooler installed?

Still potentially interested in a used one.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...00-xjr-147584/

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 08-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

The oil cooler itself is very similar to the one found in the X308/SC.
Bet you that cooler will at least physically fit and mount in the same
spot although after that comes the hard work of piping and hoses.

The X308/SC has a thermostatic valve in the engine that controls
when and how much oil is bypassed through the cooler.

Inline oil thermostats are available from Mocal.

The mating end of the hoses to the engine is the same arrangement
as used on the V8. But, the clamp plate part number is different.

I leave you to look up the part numbers of the o-rings to make
sure that the diameter is the same because chopping up the
V8 hoses might yield the right fittings.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

If I wanted to add a oil cooler to my 95 XJ6, rather than trying to gather all those Jaguar parts, you can get a remote filter adapter and AN fittings & hoses. Sandwich in the filter & a oil cooler . Even add a oil thermostat if you want. I know the adapters come in cast aluminum , but I would want billet, that no one that I know makes anymore.
Lawrence

Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
If I wanted to add a oil cooler to my 95 XJ6, rather than trying to gather all those Jaguar parts, you can get a remote filter adapter and AN fittings & hoses. Sandwich in the filter & a oil cooler . Even add a oil thermostat if you want. I know the adapters come in cast aluminum , but I would want billet, that no one that I know makes anymore.
Lawrence
Yeah, I posted a thread here a while back about a guy that added a remote oil filter on an X308, but the kit was pretty generic and the X300 filter is different. So making something like that 'work' on such a critical component wasn't worth the risk IMHO.

I haven't been able to find anyone that makes a remote filter kit specifically made for the AJ16.

Ultimately I'll probably just get an aftermarket IC to add serially to the existing if I do anything that requires additional charge cooling. Good ones that are small enough for the bottom grill opening are less than $100.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

Another way would be getting rid of the stock cooler bypass & go with the stock oil cooler part @ the stock filter location that has the two openings (for pipes/hoses) then adapting AN fittings & hoses to it. Just a though ! I don't have the Jaguar part # or know the availability of that part, probably will be a problem getting it. You will need that part anyway in order to go the stock cooler route .
Lawrence

Old 03-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Question Decisions, use as oil cooler or additional intercooler radiator?

Looks like I finally have a line on a used XJR(European)/XJ12 oil cooler.

So I am entertaining two options:
  1. Install it as intended, as an oil cooler, which is standard on European XJRs but not included on North American XJRs.
  2. Install it in-line as a second intercooler radiator to add cooling capacity through increased fluid volume and additional radiator surface.

Any opinions on either option?

I may eventually add an electric fan to the OEM intercooler radiator, install the uprated volume intercooler pump, and a lower pulley upgrade. The latter pulley upgrade is why I'm considering using this as a second intercooler. But it's guesswork at this point if the additional intercooling capacity would even be sufficient to support the larger pulley. If not, it probably just makes sense to use it as originally intended as an oil cooler.

Still not sure why the North American XJRs didn't get the cooler. Seems odd that they did not, and wonder if there is any downside to using the oil cooler on our side of the pond?

BTW, none of the parts for the X300 XJR oil cooler assembly seem to have any thermostatic control of oil flow to the cooler. AFAIK it should be a bolt on affair once the bypass "U" is removed from the bottom of the oil filter base?

Also, can anyone post any good photos of the routing and mounting of the feed/return hoses from the cooler, along the engine/frame, and connected to the filter base on the XJR? I'd like to be sure to install it as factory if I do.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-06-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Still not sure why the North American XJRs didn't get the cooler. Seems odd that they did not, and wonder if there is any downside to using the oil cooler on our side of the pond?
Judging from parking lot behaviour, North Americans have a fondness for
running the front end of the car into curbs. Not good for oil coolers.

al_roethlisberger (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 8,307 Likes on 5,013 Posts

The XJ40 setup will probably bolt right in with a few routing modifications.
I have eliminated the oil cooler on a few XJ40 4.0 cars because the cooler lines leaked and are likely NLA. I just bought a used cooler bypass pipe for the oil filter housing from X300 engine.

With 9 quarts of engine oil you most likely don't need a cooler but whatever 'floats-your-boat'.

A salvage yard will have the XJ40 cooler and pipes that you could get and have the steel ends fitted with new rubber hoses crimped/swaged to length.

just a thought.

bob gauff

al_roethlisberger (03-07-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, anyone know how to remove/install the hoses (parts 2 & 3 in the diagram above) where they connect to the cooler inlet, not the engine?

They don't have any clamp, and appear to just push on/off somehow.

Quick Reply: No oil cooler on non-European X300 XJRs? Wonder why....