XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker 2
Does the starter solenoid relay click by placing your finger on it ?

Swapped right engine bay fuse box relay ?

The inertia switch is always on the right side by the ight foot regardless if left hand or right hand steering
which engine bay fuse box relay is it? i swapped relay number 4 on the diagram (was before here)

Old 06-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Received 260 Likes on 193 Posts

Small left # 7 into right small # 9

Large # 4 is the starter solenoid relay and you must feel for it to click telling you it gets the correct command to close to power the starter solenoid / starter motor assembly

Inertia switch pic for right hand steering , this switch does not always reset and the only 2 white wires on the connector can be jumperd with a paper clip leaving the only black wire alone . You will still need to rotate the key so it is safe

Fully charged battery ?

Last edited by Parker 2; 06-28-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:27 PM

Small left # 7 into right small # 9

Large # 4 is the starter solenoid relay and you must feel for it to click telling you it gets the correct command to close to power the starter solenoid / starter motor assembly

Inertia switch pic for right hand steering , this switch does not always reset and the only 2 white wires on the connector can be jumperd with a paper clip leaving the only black wire alone . You will still need to rotate the key so it is safe

Fully charged battery ?
yes... i put fully charged battery in it...

Old 06-28-2021, 12:56 PM

Be careful to not hook the battery up backwards , positive post is forward

Easy to put in backwards , ask me how I know

Old 06-28-2021, 02:22 PM

Found this inertia switch, just before I’ll change it few pictures

This when ignition on

This this light comes up when trying to start it

This plug near inertia switch, unplugged, can’t see any place to plug it in, may be spare one

This plug beside the battery, also for spare?

also information that can help, rad fan starting working when ignition in on position, central locking not working, radio asking code.. that’s it for a moment..

Old 06-28-2021, 04:10 PM
Received 257 Likes on 162 Posts

That battery is way to low when looking at the gauge. Needs a charge again.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cafcpete
That battery is way to low when looking at the gauge. Needs a charge again.
tried 2 fully charged batteries already, it’s even not trying to start

Old 06-28-2021, 04:48 PM

In your picture the check engine light is off. If you have a UK car this means the immobiliser is ON and the car will not try to turn over.
Also even if the car was not immobilised if the voltage drops below 11ish the ECU will not fire the injectors.

The fact that the fans run constantly will drain a battery very quickly whilst you are performing diagnostics. When I was sorting out the panel lights on mine, my battery drained down and gave me a bloody great scare by suddenly going immobilised I can tell you.

Charge the battery, unplug the fans so that the power is not draining at a fast rate, and start again. Once you have the battery full the ‘odd’ warnings like SRS will vanish and you will have a fighting chance.

Oh and don’t forget to reconnect the fans when you win and it’s running!

Old 06-28-2021, 04:53 PM

In your picture the check engine light is off. If you have a UK car this means the immobiliser is ON and the car will not try to turn over.
Also even if the car was not immobilised if the voltage drops below 11ish the ECU will not fire the injectors.

The fact that the fans run constantly will drain a battery very quickly whilst you are performing diagnostics. When I was sorting out the panel lights on mine, my battery drained down and gave me a bloody great scare by suddenly going immobilised I can tell you.

Charge the battery, unplug the fans so that the power is not draining at a fast rate, and start again. Once you have the battery full the ‘odd’ warnings like SRS will vanish and you will have a fighting chance.

Oh and don’t forget to reconnect the fans when you win and it’s running!

i understand that, but if problem was with the battery, it will try even once to start. Day before yesterday, I put fully charged bigger battery, that still charged enough (checked on the battery tester). Battery light will be always on before car will start…

Old 06-28-2021, 04:58 PM

Ok, if an auto, is the P on the gear selector illuminating? This will disable the starter if not. You could try giving it a wiggle to make it light.
Do you hear a click when you press on the break. If not then it could be the break switch on the peddle faulty.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM

Ok, if an auto, is the P on the gear selector illuminating? This will disable the starter if not. You could try giving it a wiggle to make it light.
Do you hear a click when you press on the break. If not then it could be the break switch on the peddle faulty.
yes, parking light on on the gear selector, saw one video on you tube, tried it today… will try inertia switch tomorrow.. will see… didn’t mansion about brake pedal, will try also, thanks for help

Old 06-29-2021, 07:58 AM

disconnected rad fan (that was always on, when turn on the key), change inertia switch... still no luck.. any more ideas?

Old 06-29-2021, 08:16 AM

if brake light switch faulty, than stop lights wont work as well?

Old 06-29-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vitochops
if brake light switch faulty, than stop lights wont work as well?
I am not sure, if it operates lights as well as the inhibitor.
The test is, once pressed you should here a click around the gear selector.
This is a stop in the gear selector operating. This is to ensure you can not come out of park or start the engine with out your foot on the break.

If you cannot hear the click then check the switch.

I know I keep saying this, but the voltage gauge is showing less than 11V, good things will not happen unless that is showing over 12V.

One other thing, the check engine light needs to be ON before the car will turn over. Once your gauge is showing over 12V, try locking and unlocking with the key fob and see if that resets the security.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:04 AM

Do not tighten the positive battery post clamp downward pointing bolt too tight , the specially shaped nut underneath will break . A battery shim will help with the stretched out battery clamp .

You will have a loose connector in the trunk that goes to a shipping device that is removed at the dealer

When the starter starts to rotate when we get to that point ( i am assuming you never get starter rotation ) the voltage must stay above 11.4 volt ( natural starter sag ) otherwise the starter will spin the engine just fine but not enough to properly run the ECU for a light off

The key to the starter troubleshooting is if the starter solenoid relay clicks closed to power the starter solenoid / starter motor assembly

The starter solenoid relay is looking for a command ground provided by the Body Processor Module once it satisfies its agreements

The Body Processor Modular is looking for agreements

These agreements are :

BPM power from the # 5 / 10 amp trunk fuse ( hot at all times ) that passes through the large troublesome BT4 connector above the fuel tank on its way to the front ( pin 47 ) , this is pictured below and can be hard to reconnect as some sheet metal in the recessed cutout can be in the way from connecting it without breaking the lock over pins . You may find a tie wrap on the lock over bar to keep it from migrating to the open position .

Linier switch position , FC2 - 20 . There have been problems with fluids getting into this switch and the delicate contact fingers inside can be cleaned with a solvent and a pencil eraser .

Engine Control Unit , FC2 - 7

Security Locking Control Unit , FC2 - 5 ,this can be reset with a Hard Reset procedure that is more involved then a positive battery cable removal , You have the radio security codes in your area to concern yourself with before doing the hard reset . You may already be at this point with your radio code light

The ignition key itself " providing " a ground signal command to the BPM , this is pin FC2 - 41 in the picture above

You have the 3.2 liter engine with the ZF4HP22 transmission which does not have a rotary position switch like the 4.0 liter with the ZF4HP24

From the wiring guide above you do not have a chip in the key which is a form of immobilization

The US models with the 4.o liter and the ZF4HP24 transmission also do not have this key chip

The brake switch is 2 switches in one with one switch only running the tail lights

Pin 1 of the switch provides a ground command to the BPM for the gear shift interlock relay which is located fwd of the gear shift lever and if you hear the solenoid ( A larger clunking sound then the relay ) attached to the shift lever you have verified that

The not in park switch when moving the shift lever in and out of the park position " gate " can also be a problem . This switch is located on the gate

Be careful of the thin chrome surround on the shift lever boot as is fragile

The pigtail wire is the not in park switch , the long rectangle box on the right of the shift lever is your linier switch , and the shift lever solenoid relay is the left side blue stripped , and the key interlock solenoid relay is on the right

Place your finger on the specific relay as they will both be clicking about the same time

Editing

Last edited by Parker 2; 06-29-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:08 PM

Parker, in the above you say
From the wiring guide above you do not have a chip in the key which is a form of immobilization”

Vitochops is in Ireland so will have an immobiliser and a chip in the key.

Need to check F4 in boot .

The following users liked this post:
Parker 2 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:34 PM

Fuse # 4 may have been removed for storage to keep the alarm off , # 1 is closest to the fuse box large terminal post

# F4 is security system and # F5 is BPM reference page 22 PDF below

Check them both as they are both needed

No chip in key may have something to do with a stripped down model with the 3.2 liter and non - electronically controlled transmission version

My information is the wiring guide for this engine / transmission configuration

I'm in the US with 4.0 liter and electronically controlled transmission with no chip so I wouldn't see the British / Irish markets

Signing out for the continental US morning daytime

Attached Files

Last edited by Parker 2; 06-29-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Cafcpete (06-29-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 05:58 AM

Fuse # 4 may have been removed for storage to keep the alarm off , # 1 is closest to the fuse box large terminal post

No chip in key may have something to do with a stripped down model with the 3.2 liter and non - electronically controlled transmission version

I'm in the US with 4.0 liter and electronically controlled transmission with no chip so I wouldn't see the British / Irish markets

thanks a lot for your replay, will check it today

Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 AM

some updates on this, tried to start it yesterday straight from the starter resistor. Put ignition on, and push starter resistor under the bonnet, engine was trying to start, starter was running, but didnt start (could be no petrol in the tank, will put more petrol this week)
will check 2 security relays in the boot today also.
did anyone has problem with the back of ignition or ecu's on this cars?

Old 06-30-2021, 08:04 AM

Checked all fuses, no luck

Parker 2 (06-30-2021)

Quick Reply: not starting