XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Not starting, cranking, spluttering, but won't hold idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 12:51 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Well. I took my ECU out. The area around it was very damp, the carpet was sodden. The ECU casing is rusty, the red connector was literally full of water. To the brim. The red connector was also very wet. The connections all look ok, surprisingly. Is leakage on that side of the car common? I don’t have a sunroof. I’ll give the connectors a clean, try and dry it all out, then see what happens. Rather scary photos attached.

Surface rust on the floor of the kickplate. Perhaps runoff from the ECU casing?

The connectors. Red was dripping wet, black was ‘just’ damp.

The front of the ECU. Surface rust.

The rear of the ECU. Surface rust and horribly rusted on carpet.

The Jaguar XJ6’s onboard pool facilities

So, I have a leak to track down and fix, and possibly a new ECU to buy. Would a flooded ECU cause a single misfire? It looks bad, but surely all the electrics would be ruined rather than just the timed spark/injection of one cylinder?

Last edited by tobywood13; 01-30-2024 at 09:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

Remove the white face of the car side red connector

The socket corrosion is from water migrating down the wires going into the car rear side connector past individual seals on the wires

It is a TE Connectivity brand Econoseal 3 series 36 way

Last edited by Parker 7; 01-29-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2024, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Parker 7
Remove the white face of the car side red connector

The socket corrosion is from water migrating down the wires going into the car rear side connector past individual seals on the wires

I’ll have a look. Didn’t you say earlier that the relevant connectors were on the black side though?

On another note, I’ve just put the ECU back in the car and now it’s not firing on any cylinders. Could I have broken it by removing it? I can smell petrol, I have voltage to the coils, the tach is moving up to 200 RPM, but it’s only sputtered on one cylinder once. Seems like ignition isn’t happening?

Old 01-29-2024, 02:29 PM

Took the white faces. Red looks ok, despite its watery habitat.

Appears alright to me, no obvious signs of corrosion.

White face similarly clean.

The black looks much worse. Not sure if it’s corrosion, but it’s covered in sticky black stuff.

You can see the sticky stuff here, perhaps some dodgy connectors in this one?

More sticky stuff evidenced here.

I think I’ll have to get some contact cleaner and have a scrub at these. In the meantime, I’m gonna try and get compression readings done tonight. Tricky not being able to start to warm up the engine however.

Parker 7 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

The black connector is the high power wires

The black connector when handled could have broke loose a wire that powers by a controlling ground a bank of coils / injectors

On the crimp of the wire into the socket piece gets corroded

The ECU in it's form Semans GEMS is used in V - 8 applications

link coming

Last edited by Parker 7; 01-29-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2024, 03:03 PM

Current status: All coils have 12V, strong petrol smell after cranking suggests injection is happening. Tach moves up to 200 RPM. Still not even spluttering on one cylinder.

I’ve had the battery off and the ECU out twice now, all it’s done has made it go from misfiring to no firing. Connections to back of car side ECU plugs seem ok, they weren’t rough handled when I removed them so nothing should have changed. I don’t know why the car has changed.

This car is defying logic. I’m well and truly stuck with what to do next. It seems I have taken a bad car and made it worse.

Last edited by tobywood13; 01-29-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Parker 7 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

The power wires " sitting power " to the coils / injectors is from wires external to the ECU

The ECU provides a each timed ground to each cylinders' own wires , the 2nd wire on the coil / injectors

You can push in on the ECU connector wires going into the connector as it is installed on the ECU case

Last edited by Parker 7; 01-29-2024 at 03:42 PM.
tobywood13 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 03:39 PM

The power wires " sitting power " to the coils / injectors is from wires external to the ECU

The ECU provides a each timed ground to each cylinders' own wires , the 2nd wire on the coil / injectors

You can push in on the ECU connector wires going unto the connector as it is installed on the ECU case
I’ll try that tomorrow. Far too late and far too frustrating to carry on today. Certainly won’t be driving the Jag on Wednesday as planned, I’ll have to find another car. Thanks for all your help so far, I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it eventually.

Parker 7 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:11 PM
Received 8,085 Likes on 4,876 Posts

Without reading the thread again, could there be water in the fuel?

I had a customer with a 1994 XJ40 that lived in a very wooded area and no garage parking. The fuel scupper plastic drain would clog and rain water would fill the fuel cap area and seep past the cap into the tank. (the filler was very rusty and leaked at the cap)

Every time we got heavy rains in the area, she would bring me the car on a rollback truck and I would have to drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel.(at leat a gallon of water in the bottom of the tank)

Cars will run poorly with some water but too much and NOT AT ALL.

Parker 7 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Without reading the thread again, could there be water in the fuel?

I had a customer with a 1994 XJ40 that lived in a very wooded area and no garage parking. The fuel scupper plastic drain would clog and rain water would fill the fuel cap area and seep past the cap into the tank. (the filler was very rusty and leaked at the cap)

Every time we got heavy rains in the area, she would bring me the car on a rollback truck and I would have to drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel.(at leat a gallon of water in the bottom of the tank)

Cars will run poorly with some water but too much and NOT AT ALL.
Hi, a valid possibility. I don’t think there’s water in the fuel, although it did start playing up after sitting a couple of days after a refill so it was a concern of mine. The drain is clean and the filler area nice and dry. I managed to get the car to idle for extended periods, even if it was reluctant to get started, so I assumed the fuel was ok. Water wouldn’t cause a misfire on a single cylinder, as far as I know.

This issue has developed somewhat from a high idle to a non start to a misfire, and now to a different non start. If I can restore some life to the car over the next few days and get some cylinders sparking again, I’ll probably take it for a drive to run some fuel through and make room for some fresh, extra extra premium juice.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
tobywood13 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 09:19 AM

Surely that's too good to be true? My car is a '95 4.0 and this seems to match the symptoms. Doesn't save the ECU, but at least I might be able to fix the leak. I'll check my VIN and see if I can track down this plenum. Where in the car is it located? Interior under some trim, or in the engine bay?

Hopefully this flap is the cause of the leak. Thanks Parker!

Last edited by tobywood13; 01-30-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:08 PM

Right, so I’ve cleaned all ECU connectors, charged the battery, and changed the spark plugs. And she lives! Barely. She’s now misfiring on cylinders 4, 5, and 6. So an entire bank, not just 4 like it was before. Any suggestions why that might be?

I was hoping it might just be wet plugs, however I’ve tested the coils with a spare plug and a spark light and we have no spark reaching any of them, let alone going into the cylinders. Fuel injectors are injecting, so it’s just spark on the last 3 cylinders.

Is there a single connection of the ECU that distributes spark to each of the two cylinder ‘banks’? Or a fuse, relay, earth point, anything like that? As I've had the ECU out a few times now, cleaned it, put it back, perhaps a connector isn't connecting? More cleaning, more firm connection? Thanks for suggestions, we’re gradually getting there with the old girl.

Last edited by tobywood13; 01-30-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Parker 7 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

The plenum will be between the round wiper motor and the engine rear firewall on the engine top side compartment

It doesn't need to come off and you can reach under there and feel the large round drain as it has a rubber flapper drain valve on it

Last edited by Parker 7; 01-30-2024 at 02:52 PM.
tobywood13 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 03:43 PM

From studying the wiring diagram, I have narrowed my search down to these ECU connector pins.

BLACK; Pins 5, 9, 11 - timed ground to coils 4, 5, and 6 respectively.

RED: Pin 18 - feedback from H02 sensor for cylinders 4, 5, 6.

It may also be the H02 sensor itself for bank 2, but main issue seems to be lack of spark from the coils now. Sparks which were present before I removed the ECU, so it surely must be related to that. A strange coincidence that these sparks have quit, when the connectors for the other cylinders are also right there on the ECU plug next to them. Before fiddling with the ECU again, I will test each of the bank 2 cylinders for spark, it's possible they're down on injectors but the strong petrol smell steers me towards spark. My poor catalytics...

If cleaning these pins works, I'll probably return to my 5 cylinder running condition of a few days ago. Or, if I'm really lucky, I will restore all 6 cylinders. Probably not. So, ECU will be coming off again, connectors for these pins will be cleaned, examined, pressed in to the plugs, dried out, then reattached. Hopefully, this is enough to coax some more life out of the coils.

Parker 7 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

The O2 sensors will not be used until 88 C degrees on the engine coolant Temp sensor , which will be awile until the engine warms up , normal

The O2 sensors will only regulate the injectors in pulse width ( injector open time )

Editing with more info

Keep asking questions

The coil wires can be crossed on the aft 2 coil connectors

The aft coil # 6 is the Light Green / Purple wire

The # 5 is Light Green / Orange

The wire common to all coils is the Whte / Pink as the power " sitting " on the coils

The ECU provides a timed ground to fire the coils

There is a correct aft O2 sensor connection ...................

This can have effects on you regardless if you tinkered with it before , but then only on warm engine

Last edited by Parker 7; 01-30-2024 at 04:42 PM.
tobywood13 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:04 PM

The O2 sensors will not be used until 88 C degrees on the engine coolant Temp sensor , which will be awile until the engine warms up , normal

The O2 sensors will only regulate the injectors in pulse width ( injector open time )

Editing with more info

Keep asking questions

The coil wires can be crossed on the aft 2 coil connectors

The aft coil # 6 is the Light Green / Purple wire

The # 5 is Light Green / Orange

The wire common to all coils is the Whte / Pink as the power " sitting " on the coils

The ECU provides a timed ground to fire the coils

There is a correct aft O2 sensor connection ...................

This can have effects on you regardless if you tinkered with it before , but then only on warm engine

So as this is occurring on a cool engine, we can exclude the O2 sensor from the list of suspects. I’ve checked my coil wiring, the aft two are correctly plugged in.

I’ll have another look at the ECU connectors. I’ll double check to see if there is spark on the rear cylinders by grounding plugs on the exhaust manifold, but I’m confident they’re not sparking. Possibly could be flooded rear cylinders from previous cranking with no starting, but seems too coincidental to occur on the rear three at the same time.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

The exhaust manifold is not a good ground , compromised

The large terminal post on the rear firewall are battery positive power cables

The small terminal post below on the firewall are grounds

The grounds provided by the ECU inside are provided by 2 items controlling more than 1 cylinder

That 1 item can not be powered that commands a ground

Correct on the O2 sensors out of the picture on cool engine

Last edited by Parker 7; 01-30-2024 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Not starting, cranking, spluttering, but won't hold idle