XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem

I have a 96 jag xj-6 and noticed my car was overheating at idle. So when i got home i checked my fuses and the fusebox in driver side left f11 30amp fuse was blown. I changed the fuse and then started the car with a/c on and both fans were not turning but after the car reached its normal temp i spinned the blades on the fans and they started to turn on their on but seemed to be running slow, is there a relay for these fans or what else should i do?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Hey, I am moving your post from X Type to X300 Forums .Thus you will be able find better responses from tech guys

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

A general procedure would be:

check the ground circuit for each motor

check each fan by applying power directly to the motor

if it is determined not to be a motor fault, then backtrack from the motor to the control, looking for electrical faults.

if you have access to an electrical diagram, that can be very helpful.

As always, be careful around spinning fans.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys and gals for the help ,yesterday i took the fan relay part # LNA6702AA OF TO SEE IF I COULD MAYBE TAP IT AND LOOK FOR SOME SIGNS OF DAMAGE TO IT BUT IT LOOKED OK SO I STARTED THE CAR AND LET IT REACH OPERATING TEMP. I TURNED THE A/C ON WITH THE RELAY RE-CONNECTED AND YOU COULD SEE THE FAN KINDA JUMOING A LITTLE SO CAREFULLY I TOOK MY FINGER AND SPUN THE BLADES AND THEY STARTED TURNING ,BOTHE UPPER AND LOWER. I THEN TOOK THE CAR AROUND THE BLOCK AND AFTER A GOOD 15 MINUTES I STOPPED WITH CAR STILL RUNNING AND LIFTED THE BONNET TO FIND BOTH FANS SPINNING BUT IT SEEMED AS IF THEY WERE IN HALF SPEED SO I SHUT THE ENGINE OFF AND WAITED A FEW SECONDS AND TURNED THE KEY BACK ON AND THE FANS STARTED SPINNING AGAIN BUT I HAD NOT GIVEN THE BLADES A CHANCE TO COMPLETELY STOP TURNING. SO I TURNED THE KEY OFF AGAIN AND WAITED TILL THEY STOPPED. THIS TIME I HAD TO SPIN THE BLADES AGAIN WITH MY FINGER TO GET THEM TO START. Sorry for the caps !! I then started to take the fans and try hooking them up directly with 12volts but it was getting dark so i had to stop ,but it seems to me that the relay might be bad or going bad if the fans need help by me spinning them. If the relay is what sends full power to the fans maybe the relay is bad and not getting the proper voltage to start the fans on its on. So what do you guys think,the fans are coming on but not at a real high speed if i start them with my hands. If i dont start them with my hand im sure like when i am on the highway the wind will start them as the air flows thru the front radiator,but this is not what im going to relie on, i need to know if i should spend 108.00 dollars for a relay or does somebody know where i can get a used or new LNA6702AA Relay for a better price. Your help is greatly appreciated,Thanks Darryl Jagman26

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Definitely put power directly to the motors as a first option. if they work fine, then the problem lies further back along the chain. if not, then the problem lies with the motors themselves. The symptoms sound like worn brushes on the motor itself, reducing the amount of power/voltage getting through to the rotor itself. I'd be putting my money on that, assuming your earths are ok also.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Relay: Try motorcarsltd.com. I believe they have the relay for about $10. But it doesn't sound like that is the problem. One way to test it is to pull the relay in question and also pull the relay from the horn (Drivers side under the bonnet in front of the coolant reservoir, its inside the fuse box). Put the horn relay into the fan spot and see if you get any better spin. I doubt you will. But it is worth a try.

Fan: Look around for fan assemblies. It sounds as though sogood is onto the right idea with the fans themselves. The brushes inside could be worn or dirty. Some contact cleaner followed by a little silicone spray might not hurt. Also, test and make sure you are getting the proper voltage to the wires that feed the fan.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is also a radiator fan control relay that is accessible from underneath the car, it is located behind the bumper, on the drivers side (left), below the headlamp assembly. you can only get to it from below, it looks like an oversized white relay. that might be bugging out on you