XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Paint Topcoat Damage Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Default Paint Clearcoat Damage Repair

My Lady P's first spot of clearcoat damage just appeared on the roof as exfoliating skin off of the basecoat . Does anyone have any repair options to stretch out the service life of the paint . I believe the hood panel was never clearcoated as it was replaced so I can repair them at the same time as I buff out the slight orange peel . On the positive side I can now justify the new paint job of the color I want by filling a large piggy bank over time . Candy apple red with the platinum white wipers and trouth area ?

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-29-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Sorry I don't have a quick fix recommendation, but the trunk/boot area of my XJR is having its clear coat starting to fog over the last year or two as well, and I suspect it and the roof's days are numbered.

But the car sat in the blazing Louisiana and Texas sun for most of its 20 years, so that's actually not too bad. Can't really complain.

I've been mentally planning for a least a partial re-spray on the horizontal surfaces and a few minor scratched/dinged areas in the coming year or so.

That all being said, there are some 2 part clear coat touch up "rattle can" DIY products available that seem to be popular for interim fixes until the car can be completely repainted. Here is one video I recall from a while back:

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Thanks , It just suddenly started to happen both the delaminate and fogging in different areas on the roof . I Think Lady P was always garaged as it had none and the condition of the leather and no wheel arch rust as a swing in temps . The 2 part rattle can is probably a higher quality product then that other common stuff . I already decided some time ago to get a compressor setup to be better able to control the variables . I painted somewhat professionally when I was bumped by 9/11 out of my flight line electrics specialty at American Airlines and swore I would never paint again thinking of the work I put in majoring in Chemical Engineering in college for this . But the price of a good enough for Lady P's paint job makes me revisit it . I will need it anyway as I redo the dimple wheels . How about this for a color , the teal color makes it look older but it brings out the chrome and looks like candy . I have the full window chrome option along with the hood ornament and sunroof . Like a chick bait .

Attached Thumbnails Paint Topcoat Damage Repair-4224832.jpg   Paint Topcoat Damage Repair-405-800x600.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-30-2017 at 01:15 PM.