XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Please talk me out of buying an X300 XJR :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please talk me out of buying an X300 XJR :)

Sorry, moved from the X308 section.

Hi all,

I have owned a Series I XJ6 with a Chev 350 on dedicated Gas Research LPG and TH350 in it for the past three years. I've pulled it to pieces on numerous occasions, apart from the transmission and engine bottom end and I'm now getting bored with it. There just isn't really anything left to do except tidy up some rust and drive it. It's just time to move on methinks.

I've been coveting the X300 XJR for a while now and am about to embark on looking at a few, with a view to buying one and selling the Series I.

I've researched their flaws (not many) and read tales of their awesome performance (many) and the likelihood that they'll hold their value in the longer term. As one scribe wrote "you buy a car for two reasons; to drive or to sell" and the XJR ticks both boxes.

I guess I was just putting it out there to the Jag Forums community to get some feedback as to what I might expect in terms of reliability, parts availability and how tricky or expensive they are to work on.

I'm in Melbourne Australia by the way. It shouldn't make that much difference I guess except the purchase price compared to the UK and the States. I've been able to get many parts from SNG Barratt and other suppliers over the 'net.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (01-02-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Take a look at archives of posts by "Doug", for the most accurate and honest chronicles of XJR ownership

Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Here are the highlights from my logbook after 120k miles of use (I bought the car with 30k miles)

-replace steering tilt motor
-replace 2 front wheel bearings
-repair door latch switch, right front
-replace trans mount and spring
-replace power steering return hose
-replace one oxy sensor
-replace intercooler pump
-replace brake light switch
-replace rear wheel bearing, right side
-replace differential
-replace water pump
-replace air injection pump
-replace idler pulleys
-replace both exhaust manifolds
-replace starter
-replace 4 seat heaters
-replace trans solenoids and speed sensors
-repair broken sub woofer speaker
-replace gas gauge sender
-replace multiple ignition coils
-replace antenna mast
-repair door latch switch, left rear
-replace radio (several times)
-clean throttle body (2x)
-replace radiator upper mounts
-replace crank sensor
-replace cam cover gasket
-replace trunk lid supports
-replace u-joints
-replace center bearing on driveshaft
-replace water pump (again)
-replace harmonic balancer (re-bonded)
-replace alternator
-replace 2 fuel injectors

As you can see it hasn't been a 'never have to open the hood' type of car.

In fairness, though, some of the items are minor and others are pretty much what you'd expect to replace as a car accumulates mileage. The starter was replaced because it was making weird noises....it hadn't actually failed. The alternator was a misdiagnosis on my part. The car has never left me stranded, been on the back of a tow truck, or made me late for work.

I've had some weird driveability issues over the years, mostly caused by coil failures. For a couple months battled a rough running problem that was a real brain teaser.....aggravated by the fact that I don't have the equipment to perform the engine management recalibrations.

(I'll always be grateful to Ross for sticking with me thru these episodes. Distinguishing cause vs. effect can be tricky but he kept me on track)

After reading all this you probably think I hate the car. Not true. It's a dream to drive and has many qualities I really like. I still get a smile each time I slide behind the wheel. Jaguar did a great job of blending performance and luxury. Although performance isn't stunning by modern standards there's something intoxicating about riding that prodigious wave of torque....and watching traffic disappear in my rearview mirror. The brakes are fabulous and the car takes the curves amazingly well for a 4200 pound sedan.

I should also mention the areas that have given no problems at all: climate control, power windows/locks/seats, cruise control, exhaust, suspension, instruments, steering, lighting systems, brakes.....

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section you'll find a buyers guide. I suggest giving it a peek.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
JBee (12-28-2013), Marsden (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks guys, epic response Doug. That list looks like the one from my current Jag. Long, an interesting journey but nothing insurmountable. Having the support of a group such as this would be a valuable resource I'm sure.

Most of the current crop of XJRs have done upwards of 140K miles and are going for around $18K which is a considerable investment, for me anyway. My second choice is a Sovereign which I'm sure will be a very different car, significantly cheaper to buy too.

I've yet to drive an X300 and in a sense I'm loathe to, purely because I believe it'll be such a massive step up from my current car that I'll fall in love and want to buy it on the spot. Not exactly true, but pretty close :-) maybe I'll take my mother-in-law with me so there will be someone there who'll bitch about absolutely everything :-P

Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JBee
I've yet to drive an X300 and in a sense I'm loathe to, purely because I believe it'll be such a massive step up from my current car that I'll fall in love and want to buy it on the spot. Not exactly true, but pretty close :-)

Virtually guaranteed. I came from a Ser III XJ6 and an 80s XJS. The XJR was like stepping into a different world.....and that's almost all good.

The downside, if you're sentimental, is that the XJR lacks that 'olde world' feel. Not very Jaguar-ish in comparison to the 70s-80s cars. You may not notice it at first.....there's so many positives to be happy about....but you will eventually

Cheers
DD

Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Virtually guaranteed. I came from a Ser III XJ6 and an 80s XJS. The XJR was like stepping into a different world.....and that's almost all good.

The downside, if you're sentimental, is that the XJR lacks that 'olde world' feel. Not very Jaguar-ish in comparison to the 70s-80s cars. You may not notice it at first.....there's so many positives to be happy about....but you will eventually
Much the same with the X350, which I would still own were it not for its troublesome air suspension. A lot of people criticized it for not looking like a Jaguar when it came out--and throughout its run in fact. Yet, that previous caveat aside, it was a car I loved every day I owned it.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

In Aus we also have the Sport model available and I'd suggest they are worth a look. The X300 Sport is fundamentally the same car as the XJR without the supercharger, ie. has the same body/trim presentation and stiffer sport suspension designed provide better handling than the spongier Sovereign (IMO it achieves this and corners like a go kart). It has the same beautiful AJ16 engine as XJR (avail as 4.0 or 3.2)and logically the same maintenance characteristics will exist EXCEPT for stuff related to the supercharger. You will pay more for XJR but arguably also more on maintenance.

As for resale? its all relative to purchase pric. XJR's here seem to depreciate at about the same rate as N/A models which you will pay less for, so I'd doubt you will gain much more in resale "investment" with XJR. The X300 is now at an age and depreciation level where the individual vehicle condition and mileage are the main determinants of price/resale value.

In the end it depends what you want from your X300. What type of driving do you do and how often will you use the XJR's extra grunt? My X300 Sport is the short stroke 3.2 with some performance enhancements and it gives me comfort, a sportier style, great handling and will cruise all day long at any speed I like. I can live with an XJR beating me on the 0-100kph time!

JBee (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
In the end it depends what you want from your X300. What type of driving do you do and how often will you use the XJR's extra grunt? My X300 Sport is the short stroke 3.2 with some performance enhancements and it gives me comfort, a sportier style, great handling and will cruise all day long at any speed I like. I can live with an XJR beating me on the 0-100kph time!

I agree that the 'Sport' is worth considering.

Just a guess on my part but anyone specifically seeking an *XJR* (as JBee is) and coming from a V8 powered Series I (as JBee is) will probably put the extra power to good use at every opportunity.

I know I do

Cheers
DD

Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

Can't argue with you Doug, as I said it depends on what JBee wants from his car. I haven't come out of a V8 or supercharged environment, so I guess I don't miss it (maybe I don't know what I'm missing?!!)

Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 AM

I reckon I'd be pretty happy with the torque and handling characteristics of a 4.0 Sport but I'd probably miss the feeling of 'what's gonna happen now' that I currently enjoy when my Series I snaps second gear in the wet. It has a transmission shift kit plus an LSD and it's just feral :-)

Prior to owning this Jag, I had a Datsun 260Z two-seater for 15 years. It was basically a road-registered track weapon. In the end, I didn't drive it all that hard and rarely broke the speed limit. Guess I just grew out of it?

I guess part of me doesn't want to be wondering what it's be like to own an XJR because they seem to just be so capable but if you reckon the Sport has similar handling characteristics, I'll definitely take one or two for a test drive. Plus, if I DO end up buying a Sport, I'll have some cash up my sleeve for ongoing repairs.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 665 Likes on 573 Posts

There is a lot to be said for the 4L sport. The pulling power of that straight 6 is exceptional. Not as refined as the V8's but it will certainly put a smile on your face, I know mine did.

Enjoy your search and as always, try as many as you can before you decide.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JBee
I reckon I'd be pretty happy with the torque and handling characteristics of a 4.0 Sport but I'd probably miss the feeling of 'what's gonna happen now' that I currently enjoy when my Series I snaps second gear in the wet. It has a transmission shift kit plus an LSD and it's just feral :-)

I know that feeling but the XJR is fairly non-dramatic. There's little noise, no nose lift.....it's just a rush of power than never seems to end. One of those "oh-my-god, I can't believe I hit 80 mph" type of things.

But wide-open-throttle acceleration isn't the best part of the story. The beautiful part of the supercharged engine is the very broad torque band. You have oooomph at any road speed, in any gear.

As for wet pavement, well, if you turn the traction control off you won't get anywhere at all, and I know you know what I mean

Prior to owning this Jag, I had a Datsun 260Z two-seater for 15 years. It was basically a road-registered track weapon. In the end, I didn't drive it all that hard and rarely broke the speed limit. Guess I just grew out of it?

I seldom break the speed limit, either. Getting *up to* the speed limit is a real treat, though.

I guess part of me doesn't want to be wondering what it's be like to own an XJR because they seem to just be so capable but if you reckon the Sport has similar handling characteristics, I'll definitely take one or two for a test drive. Plus, if I DO end up buying a Sport, I'll have some cash up my sleeve for ongoing repairs.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

By all means drive several examples of each and then decide.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

JBee, there are also a couple of enhancements you can make to all the X300 straight six engines which produce some pretty amazing results. If you haven't already seen this, details are on the (rather long) thread posted by XJengineer entitled "DIY modifications to improve performance & fuel economy of AJ16 & AJ6 engines"

1. Fit revised crank sensor bracket, available from Andy Soddart in the UK

2. Install direct air intake using a heat shielded cone filter to replace the stock air box

I've done these on my 3.2 and haven't looked back, it's totally transformed the car - she's gone from humble to amazing...

Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 AM

Looks like I'll be checking out a few Sports when I get back to Melbourne although there is a 4.0 Sport in British Racing Green up here in Sydney that caught my eye. Not sure I'll get time to see it though.

I've read the thread relating to the +5 degree crank sensor bracket and saw the one about the air intake mod as well. Both look very worthwhile.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the LWB 3.2, and although the XJR sounds really appealing, to be honest my car terrifies me as it is - I came from a mid 90s Aussie built Camry V6, and that thing was an absolute pig going round the corners, if you pushed it at all it would exit backwards into the scenery - it did that at 100kph just before I took it to the wreckers. Anyway, going round the same corner at the same speed that the Camry would give up and go home, in the Jag it is absolutely effortless. I have pushed it a little and it's scary how well it goes round corners.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member

You may have already realised there are only a handful of decent X300's (in any variant) available at any given time in our relatively small market, so you might need to look at examples interstate. Although I'm in Victoria mine came from NSW as it was the best example available. I settled on a 3.2 because in every respect it was streets ahead of anything else available at the time. Good luck mate, I really hope you find a good one.

JBee (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:05 AM

Thanks, I'm still debating whether or not to check out that green Sport 4.0 that's for sale here in Sydney. I'll have a look at the buyer's guide tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Well. Went and had a look at the green X300 Sport I mentioned previously.
The place it was at was particularly dodgy-looking with nobody in attendance so I went and took a look at the car. Every panel had a dent in it, the right rear door had been resprayed and the paint was scratched all over, mostly fine scratches but a few down to the bone. Very low on engine oil, the coolant looked clear ie. no sign of inhibitor/anti-freeze. On a more positive note, the tyres were good and the interior was clean and in good condition.

Then the principal salesman came over and told me it's been sold half an hour prior to us getting there. No problems. I wasn't that keen to take it for a drive anyway. Another learning experience and at least it gives me something to compare the next one to.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a good outcome. IMO the most important criterion with the X300 is a sound service history. Of course we want that with most cars, but it really can be the make or break for the AJ16 engine. Well looked after they are a super-sweet and very reliable unit, but if neglected.....

Regardless of any cosmetic flaws, doubts about the integrity of oil and/or coolant condition should send a loud "walk away now" signal. I did see the car on Carsales.com.au (pretty sure it was the one you were looking at, now gone) and it was priced pretty low compared with what good examples should still be pulling, perhaps for good reason. Keep looking, bound to be one out there with your name on it!

Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 PM

It was the one they were asking $8500 for. Four weeks ago they'd been asking $12000! Madness.
The scruffy paint wasn't as much a deal-breaker as the oil and coolant, it just told me the car hadn't been well cared-for. Once the salesman told me it'd been sold, it was all academic anyway.
There are several in Melbourne that I'll check out once I'm back there. Looking forward to actually driving one! :-)