XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Position of Cruise Controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Position of Cruise Controls

Having owned and driven my X300 for several years now I still cannot get used to the position of the cruise controls. IMO, they're just that little bit too out of reach for convenience.
Previous cars I've owned equipped with CC have had their controls on the steering wheel and only today, wishing to switch on CC, I depressed my thumb into the space on the wheel only to quickly realise the switch wasn't there. And this, as I say, after several years with the car!
What I want to know from other members is:-
1. Does the location of the CC switches annoy/frustrate you as much as it does me? And,
2. Is there any way possible to relocate them to the steering wheel bearing in mind of course the complications of wiring up to a wheel that turns?
3. Finally, why on earth did Jaguar put them there in the first place - cost?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Actually, the cruise control switches are about the only ones that *don't* irritate me ! At least they can be operated by feel. Everything else, with the exception of the stalk controls, requires taking my eyes off the road. Whether it's the panel behind the wheel or the stack of controls at the front of the console, it's the same thing---rows of closely spaced look alike buttons. What a mess! My older Jags were much better in this regard.

Anyhow....... :-)

I can't think of an easy way to put the controls on the wheel unless there's a way to adapt an XJ8 wheel and wiring....and I suspect the electrical architecture is sufficiently different to make that impractical.

But I could easily be wrong. Let's wait for others to chime in. Thanks for letting me rant about the poorly placed controls, though :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I can only put my two cents on #3 :

In those years there were not as much buttons as today's cars .
Look at W140 MB S Class, no button at all . Nor pre 95 BMW 7 Series ,Audi A8 ,GM Vehicles

However, in todays car there are a lot of buttons and it's like a trend and I think it's verily practical .
My XJ40's location is there too . Not complaining about but using Cruze's cruise control is fairly easier because these buttons are fitted at the left side of my steering wheel

Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I've owned GM's with the CC on the stalk, Ford's with it on the steering wheel, and Jag's with it on the wheel (S-type) and the X300. X300 is far and away my favorite, followed by the Stypes. I absolutely love a steering wheel with nothing but a horn button on it! But aside from that, I prefer the position and functionality of the X300 CC even over my Dad's QX56 with adaptive cruise on the wheel. Like the "cancel" feature on the S-types, too, but no great thrill that it's on the wheel...actually rathier irritating to turn the radio vol. down when I actually wanna coast....

Sorry Biffta, I just can't feel your pain....

Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had a number of vehicles where I thought the C.C. switches were in odd locations.

I will say, it takes a conscious thought for me to "remember" that the paddle switch must be pulled towards me, and then to push the button to set the speed.

The turn signal/trip-information stalk is already busy, the wiper stalk has its purpose ... I'd rather not have the steering wheel busy with controls. I guess where the C.C. is located is fine as it is - less clutter?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 AM

Well if this is representative of opinions it appears I'm pretty much on my own on this one!
Must be the way I have used cruise in the past. Several years ago I owned successively, 2 Hondas (Accord 2.2i, then a Legend Coupe). Both of these had 3 buttons on the wheel and via these I could increase speed, decrease it, cancel cruise & set speed. On many journeys I had my foot off the accelerator for long periods of time, controlling things solely via the switches. Lazy I know!
It must be me then who doesn't like the position on the X300, but I can't help asking if it's such a good position why haven't other manufacturers copied it?
My view is that it comes down to the cost of producing a wheel with controls built in. The technology was certainly there, but I think Jaguar made switchgear positioning no priority whatsoever and sought to cut manufacturing costs.
Finally, if the X300 had put the CC switches on the steering wheel and I posted that I'd prefer them on the steering column, I'm convinced enthusiasts would howl me down saying how much they love them on the wheel and why it was so much better for them to be positioned there!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by biffta
Well if this is representative of opinions it appears I'm pretty much on my own on this one!
I'm certainly not advocating the position ... I'm thinking of the alternatives. And also, it could be an "era" choice ... were most all manufacturers back in the mid-90's placing the C.C. controls on the steering wheel? Is it because of air-bag design? Is it because Jaguar thought the steering wheel would not look "classic Jag"? We'll probably never know the reason(s) why, but just have to live with the design, flawed as it may be

Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by biffta
It must be me then who doesn't like the position on the X300, but I can't help asking if it's such a good position why haven't other manufacturers copied it?
My view is that it comes down to the cost of producing a wheel with controls built in. The technology was certainly there, but I think Jaguar made switchgear positioning no priority whatsoever and sought to cut manufacturing costs.

Well, Jaguar is well known for penny pinching. And, beyond that, changes at Jaguar are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Jaguat takes its own sweet time when changing things. The X300 dash is essentially a carryover from the XJ40. When the X308 came along Jaguar finally got 'round to updating the dash and controls a bit...along with throwing in a V8 engine :-)

Finally, if the X300 had put the CC switches on the steering wheel and I posted that I'd prefer them on the steering column, I'm convinced enthusiasts would howl me down saying how much they love them on the wheel and why it was so much better for them to be positioned there!

You're not being singled out as a target for disagreement for the sake of disagreement. You INVITED us to agree or disagree by asking:

"1. Does the location of the CC switches annoy/frustrate you as much as it does me?"

As it turns out most of us are NOT bothered by the CC controls so your question has been answered!

:-) :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 AM

"You're not being singled out as a target for disagreement for the sake of disagreement. You INVITED us to agree or disagree by asking:

"1. Does the location of the CC switches annoy/frustrate you as much as it does me?"

As it turns out most of us are NOT bothered by the CC controls so your question has been answered!"

Of course your spot-on Doug, I guess the question was part rhetorical. When I asked the question I was hoping for responses in agreement with my opinion!
Wrong!
Oh well -that should teach me.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

FWIW Biffta, I share your passion for driving feet-free via the CC, but have concluded the X300 is the best platform for it. I guess we all like different things.