XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Potential faults on a stagnant XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential faults on a stagnant XJ6

Looking at a 1996 XJ6 that has supposedly been sitting in a garage, unused, for two years. I ran a carfax on it, and it this story lines up with the records at least. The car also shows signs of non-use: oxidized paint, dirty interior. Cosmetically, the car just needs cleaning, and it's interior is in better shape than many post-2000 XJ's that I've seen. Also the only British racing green color that I've found in my area. It knocks from the rear, so I suspect bushings need replacing, and I suspect a wheel bearing needing replacement as well. Are there any other mechanical concerns that I should keep an eye out on a car that's been sitting for a while? I really like this one, and my only prior jag experience has been on pre-1990 models, and am concerned that this car will bite the dust some short time after purchasing (has happened on prior jag experiences).

Alex

Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Alex. Here's a thread listing what you can expect to eventually happen whether it sits or drives:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblems-46769/
From sitting, I would worry the fuel has gone to jelly and committed unspeakable acts throughout the fuel system. Fuel pumps allegedly give up around 100k mi and sitting around some years with aging fuel may hasten that, as well as clog up some key passages and injectors. Everything else should likely be set aright with a complete change of all fluids, realizing you may have some seals that start leaking as you drive it often because they dried out in certain areas and are now again exposed to the fluid they are supposed to seal. Sounds like you've driven though, so maybe all is well.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome! That thread is a good read for sure. I was told that the fuel pump has been replaced and the tank drained by the used car lot where it currently sits. I did get a whiff of bad gas when i opened up the gas cap, but it could have been sitting on this lot for a bit, too. The owner just wants the car gone as he knows nothing about them and has no interest in keeping it around. If purchased, I do plan to replace all fluids and check spark plugs.

Alex

Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I would check brake system as well . Brake calipers , rotors would be seized up from lack of use and sitting and tires of course

Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Did get good brake response on the test drive, but a very faint shimmy at speed around 60mph. I presume this could be flatspots or bushings/balljoints up front. No ramps yet to crawl under there for a good detailed look, but mercifully the car sits high enough off the ground that I can get a rough idea on condition.

Alex