XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Powerflex A frame & Mono Tube Install w/pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

You poor *******s and winter weather, rust looks terrible! Yah mine still isn't in right yet. Going back after it this weekend as I will be installing H&R lowering springs, Powerflex front bushings (all) & rear sway bar.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Its just surface rust as I had to remove most of he paint to get the arm back in.

Have subsequently cleaned and undersealed after fitting new Koni adjustable shocks and Poly A Frame bushes.

My H&R springs have now been on order for 4 months and still haven't arrived!!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Mine show up on Monday. I was leaning toward doing Koni's but they're back-orderded forever here.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

That's really interesting that your 96 had the monotube/truss as some have suggested some X300s ended up getting the integrated X308 style differential brace either as warantee work or??

And on that note, it seems I've accidentally stirred up a little debate in the X308 section about whether this brace supplants an anti-roll bar or not:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ay-bar-159021/

So, now that two of you have had the monotube installed with the Powerflex bushings since last summer, any update on ride quality (good/bad), noise (poly squeaking?) or observations on why the top bushings were so hard to get the bolts aligned?

Any "lessons learned" now that you have experience and perspective that would have made installation easier, better, etc?

The weather is turning nice, so I'll probably be ordering my bushings and installing mine soon. So any tips will be much appreciated.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

It's also interesting to note that I suspect the problems some are having with installation are due to the flanges on the Powerflex bushings that add another ~.5 cm (gross estimation based on photos) to the width of each mounting eye, which then requires the upper mounting flanges to be pried/spread apart. This is not only difficult, but probably also misaligns the bolt holes a bit, hence the trouble getting the bolt back in.

If comparing the Powerflex bushings with the OEM bushings, one will see that the OEM bushings have their "rubber" material recessed/flush with the face of the eye instead, which makes inserting the monostrut not require the spreading of the mounting bracket.

Also if you look at the Powerflex bushing, it isn't clear why the flange is needed. If that flange were removed, the poly bushing would fit into the eye much like the OEM and not cause these fitment issues. So I wonder if this is a minor design flaw or error?

I sent Powerflex USA a question asking them if perhaps there is an opportunity to improve the fit of these bushings given the experience reported here.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-26-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 PM

Most if it straight forward, perhaps you could shave/cut the bushing down for the rear upper part. I ended up having to run a smaller bolt/nut through it as the misalignment stripped the threads. I love having it and all of my 3-4 shift clunk is gone, dramatically. The car also is tighter. I have Koni's now to match the H&R springs. I'm adding the V12 rear spring shims to lift the rear end a bit. Word to the wise, if you use H&R springs on a an XJL, it will sag a little bite more than a regular XJ. My suspicion is that the larger shims will lift her up just enough. I also have a rear sway bar to add to the car I just haven't carved out the time to get back under it.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Powerflex has responded, and has a couple questions!

OK, I received a reply from Powerflex and they agree the fitment of their bushings in the upper brackets looks tight. So they have asked us some questions. If anyone can answer the following questions from Powerflex it would be much appreciated. Let's do our best to get back to them ASAP if at all possible since they are showing interest in looking into the issue.

I have a monotube in the garage still fitted with the OEM bushings, so I went out and put a micrometer on the width of each of the four "eyes" (measurement requested below) and then measured the width(length) of the metal sleeve in the bushing itself.

Width of bushing eye: 35mm
Width of bushing inner sleeve/tube: 41mm

Let me know if you find these consistent with your monotube stock bushing measurements.

We now just need to provide a measurement of the inner width of the upper mounting brackets stock, before they are stretched. My guess is that it should be 41-42mm, but let's verify.

And she wondered if anyone had any issues with the length of their inner bushing tube/sleeve, I suspect too long or too short would be of interest to them to hear. What I'm suspecting is that the entire Powerflex assembly including bushing and sleeve are just a few mm too wide, but we'll need to help them understand if the oversize issue is just the bushing, sleeve, or both.

Thanks!

Hi Al,

Thanks for the email and apologies for the late reply.

I agree the width of the flange or 'top hat' does look a little big. Is it possible to measure the width of the bracket? Please see the picture below for reference.

Also, do you know if anyone has had any issues with the sleeve length as well? Did it fit the yoke on the chassis ok without having to stretch the flanges out?

All the best,

Lynn Campbell
PowerflexUSA

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-29-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,186 Posts

I just installed a monostrut from a low mileage X308 into my 94 xj40 VDP.

Bushings were comfort bushings afaik and the monostrut and bushes were in as new condition. (S. California car)

It was a fairly straightforward job requiring the judicious use of the pry bar to get it all in and bolted up. The only fastenings we removed (yes there were 2 of us thank god!) were the four dogbone bolts.
We had a heckuva time getting the last upper bolt to line up, as it seemed OOL by about 1/8".

Dismissing suggestions for grinding a taper into the bolt threads we decided to try and move the bushing/monostrut end into alignment with the pry bar.

Leveraging was a bit of a problem at first, but we finally figured out a good way to do it.

After installing the lower bolts on the diff we started the driver's side upper bolt then moved to the passenger side to fit the last bolt.

Using a square iron block (actually we used the base of a cast iron shaft from a spare axle stand) and butting it up to the bracket outer locating bolt, it gave us just the right amount of room to slip in the pry bar and pry/push the bolt and bushing over the 1/8" to get the thread started - once that was done, it was pretty much meat and potatoes to finish up.

Took us quite a while to figure it out, but once we had the iron block, easy!

cheers

Larry

Old 02-14-2024, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting method

Originally Posted by SD96XJ6L
I finally got around to installing the X308 mono strut with replaced Powerflex street bushings. In addition, I replaced the outer A arm bushings as well.

Mono tube. This completely eliminated the hard 3-4 shift from the transmission up through the steering column. I applied primer over the existing finish after cleaning it. Just for fun.

Painted with matte finish. Powerflex street bushing installed. The middle is open to show the two piece nature of these bushings. These press in without special tools which is nice.

I swear the car sits a bit higher now. The rear end definitely doesn't move as much and you can now feel the give in the front suspension with direct input from the rear. Now I need to add a rear sway bar!

It was a pain with hand tools and no lift. The rear mounting points for the mono tube were a bit too narrow and it spread the bracket out and distorted the bolt angle as the backside of the bracket had a welded nut.

Other than that the rear bushings came out by hack sawing to relieve tension and then chiseling out with a mallet.

The car feels SOOOOOOO much better. No hard hits in the rear (all of my bushing looked excellent btw, 108K+ SoCal car). It feels like the tires are so much more firmly planted and the shock is finally able to do its job without interference. It is not harsh in any way at all. In fact, over the stock used bushings, the car feels much smoother and no harshness or hits over expansion joints, etc.

Hey there!

just wanted to clarify in your refurbishing method for the monostrut, did you remove the old powder coating ontop of the strut or just prime and paint over it? Just looking for some advice to do on mine thanks 👍

Last edited by Jag117; 02-14-2024 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (02-14-2024)