XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Problems starting / stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems starting / stalling

Hi everyone.
I think I posted in the wrong place last time so if Im still not in the right place can someone direct me

Im having problems with my 1997 XJ6L. It has 106,000 miles and recently has had trouble starting and has also stalled while driving. I have to admit I did put reg gas in last time I filled up. The problems also seem to start about the same time. When it stalled on Friday I could not get it started and had to leave overnight at work. Yesterday went out with octane boost and injector cleaner after putting both in it started right up.Here is some other info, had the battery and the alt tested and both passed. Heater is extremely loud and is not very quick to heat and when I come to a stop it blows quite a bit more air, light on stereo display only works sometimes. The fuel pump is also very loud. I was given a price for new fuel pump of $1,600.00. Please tell me there is something else I can try first. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the fuel: I have a LR3 as well and I know that running less than Premium gas causes all kinds of problems - and affects sensors, etc. Have you a tank or two of Premium/Supreme gas through it since you started having issues?
As for the heater blower, check out some of the other A/C and blower threads here. The stereo light display sounds like something loose, a wire or something.
Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
motogirl_94518 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 10,540 Likes on 6,961 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by motogirl_94518
Hi everyone.
This will be my third time posting this I hope Im not in the wrong place so if Im still not in the right place can someone direct me

Thanks

Your beast is known as an X300. Hopefully one of the moderators lurking around will see this and move it to that area where answers will be thick and fast.

My first best guess is the fuel pump is near toast. Also the fuel filter is possibly blocked, which will load the fuel pump significantly and cause noise.

I would change the fuel filter, first and foremost, about $15 for teh part, and about 30 minutes to swap.

The fuel pump is a "standard" Nippon Denso fuel pump (same as Toyota/Mazda/ etc) and I get them for less than a $100 down here all day. The fuel tank MUST come out to do that job, and that is fun, NOT. I would expect a competent spanner person to be able to do the pump is 4 to 6 hours without too much stress.

The other items I will think about and reply later if I have something to say.

I would check with XK Unlimited in San Louis Obispo for parts etc, and I believe (may be wrong) they do have a service area for customers???. I use them regularly for odd bits, and even from down here they are very price competitive and helpful.

motogirl_94518 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Originally Posted by motogirl_94518
Im having problems with my 1997 XJ6L. It has 106,000 miles and recently has had trouble starting and has also stalled while driving. I have to admit I did put reg gas in last time I filled up. The problems also seem to start about the same time. When it stalled on Friday I could not get it started and had to leave overnight at work. Yesterday went out with octane boost and injector cleaner after putting both in it started right up.

I can't think of any reason that regular grade gasoline would cause a stall and/or no start situation....unless it was contaminated.

Similarly, that the car started after adding octane boost and injector cleaner is coincidence, I'm sure.

I agree that the fuel pump is a likely culrpit but the only way to know for sure it have the car checked the next time it won't start.

There *are* other possibilities but a fuel pump is a good guess, especially since it's louder than usual

Here is some other info, had the battery and the alt tested and both passed.

Good!

Heater is extremely loud and is not very quick to heat and when I come to a stop it blows quite a bit more air, light on stereo display only works sometimes. Thanks

The stereos (Alpine) on these cars are notoriously unreliable. In inoperative display should be a fairly routine fix for a radio shop, though. You'll have to remove the radio and send it in.

Post your heater problems in the X300 section for discussion.

Cheers
DD

motogirl_94518 (06-06-2012)