XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Products to clean engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Products to clean engine bay

I'm taking my XJR to its first classic car rally soon and would love my engine bay to be gleaming. Does anyone have any advice regarding choice of cleaning products?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Depends upon the present condition of the engine bay. I'm assuming that since you're a Jaguar owner, then the engine bay is already cleaner than 90% of the other cars out there.

So first, some spray on degreaser aided by a paint brush to get rid of any grease or oil that should not be there. Let it sit for a few minutes and then gently hose off. Do NOT use a pressure washer.

Hard to get to spots can usually be taken car of with a toothbrush and Windex.

Let everything air dry and then take a spray can of Tyre Shine and spray all of the rubber and black plastic bits.

Don't forget to post a "before" and "after" photo.

Stu

The following users liked this post:
andyXJR (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 519 Likes on 370 Posts

Brake cleaner is fairly effective for light to medium grot, and very easy to work with, Expensive if you have a lot to do though

The following users liked this post:
andyXJR (05-27-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

i use,"dawn",dish washing soap,it is the greatest for removing grease,and general cleaning

Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Super cleaned mine with strong soap and a paintbrush careful not to scratch with the metal brush band and toothbrushes . But over time rust started showing up as it removed the protective film . Was told from the past to use only WD - 40 as it will desolve and wash away the dirt and guck but still leave behind a protective coat . Lady Penelope was very neglected by the previous owner and I cleaned alot out and made a big difference . Later I'll address the small surface rust and bathe it with some cans of WD - 40 . One thing I noticed or maybe didn't see before was that the alkaline soap certainly can't be good on the exposed Magnesium valve cover areas whereas I recently notice a corrosion seam or split or bloom under the plastic coil cover as well as in a plug well . Tyre Shine looks promising as a final step if it leaves behind a protective coat as the shine degrades over time but it should really bring the hoses out for the show .

Thanks , Parker

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 05-30-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: info