XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Radio Freeze and Fast Idle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Freeze and Fast Idle Problems

These problems with my 1996 XJR (6) are obviously unrelated, but they are equally mysterious.

The radio doesn't like hot weather, and regularly freezes-up so that whilst it operates, the stations, volume, ON/Off, dials can't be adjusted at all. It usually resets itself eventually, but this time nothing. So I removed fuse 8 overnite, and now that I've replaced that fuse the radio is dead - no display at all !! The fuse is OK.

I've read that this yet another systemic Jag problem, but is there a solution, like maybe an aftermarket unit.

My second problem is with the idle speed, which has suddenly increased to around 1200 rpm in neutral and about 1000 rpm in drive. This is intermittent, but annoying.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers - "Whale"

eiadon't operate ;

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Although the symptoms you describe don't sound familiar (to me, at least) the Alpine radios used in these cars are known to be a problem. You can send it to Alpine for repair (the address is in the archives somewhere) or replace it with a used unit (fingers crossed that it'll be any better) or install an aftermarket unit. Be advised that wiring an aftermarket unit to the premium sound system (which your car alomost surely has) might be a little tricky.

High idle? Join the club :-).

Most likely a dirty throttle body but it might be a weak return spring....or both.

Removing the t/body for cleaning is a big job. Some guys manage to remove it without removing the intake manifold but I've never been able to.

Replacing the linear return spring is only mildly tricky from under the car. You might wanna try that first. The coil spring at the throttle shaft itself require t/body removal for replacement.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Whale (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

I put a Pioneer DEH-P7150UB in my X300 after spending hours trying to fix the stock junk. Happy so far.

You can buy a bezel adaptor to make the replacement head unit. look a little less awkward in the X300's curved ski slope: http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autol...l-p-14776.html

The following users liked this post:
Whale (02-10-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Whale, make sure that you get their harness adapter as well. You need to find out for sure what your new stereo requires in order to see whether you will need a second inline adapter between the first and the new head unit.

I've had a Sony XPLOD for a couple years and I am very please with it. It's lights were even close to the same shade of green as the rest of the center console. It came with an iPod adapter and I have it tastefully mounted to the base of the ski-slope.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Although the symptoms you describe don't sound familiar (to me, at least) the Alpine radios used in these cars are known to be a problem. You can send it to Alpine for repair (the address is in the archives somewhere) or replace it with a used unit (fingers crossed that it'll be any better) or install an aftermarket unit. Be advised that wiring an aftermarket unit to the premium sound system (which your car alomost surely has) might be a little tricky.

High idle? Join the club :-).

Most likely a dirty throttle body but it might be a weak return spring....or both.

Removing the t/body for cleaning is a big job. Some guys manage to remove it without removing the intake manifold but I've never been able to.

Replacing the linear return spring is only mildly tricky from under the car. You might wanna try that first. The coil spring at the throttle shaft itself require t/body removal for replacement.

Cheers
DD
Doug - thanks for your comments and advice, I'll have a look underneath at that return spring this weekend. The weather's a bit cooler now, and that's good because i don't like +40 deg C days any more than the Jag does.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by JackJ
Whale, make sure that you get their harness adapter as well. You need to find out for sure what your new stereo requires in order to see whether you will need a second inline adapter between the first and the new head unit.

I've had a Sony XPLOD for a couple years and I am very please with it. It's lights were even close to the same shade of green as the rest of the center console. It came with an iPod adapter and I have it tastefully mounted to the base of the ski-slope.
Good advice Jack. I must say that even though this is my forth Jag (after a Mk2, Daimler 2.5, & Sovereign V12), I never cease to be amazed at the ****ling faults that you wouldn't expect to be present in a high-quality car!

Thanks again Mate !!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Whale
Good advice Jack. I must say that even though this is my forth Jag (after a Mk2, Daimler 2.5, & Sovereign V12), I never cease to be amazed at the ****ling faults that you wouldn't expect to be present in a high-quality car!

Thanks again Mate !!
Just so you know - that **** wasn't an expletive, it was N - for November, I - for India, G - for Golf, G - for Golf, L - Lima, plus ing.

Cheers, Whale

Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks Mate,

I must say that even though I'm on my fourth Jag., I don't understand why they all have these pain-in-the-neck problems!

After a Mk2, a Daimler 2.5, and a S3 Sovereign V12 I went for a "modern classic" to avoid all these problems.

The radio has never liked being in the sun, but the week of +40deg days here killed it, even though the car was in below the house - in the garage!

Anyway, I'll order that adapter and get on with the fix.

Thanks again - Whale.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM

G'day all,

After all that good advice from posters, I ordered that bezel adaptor and replacement head unit for the standard heat sensitive sound system, and of course everything started working on the next day!

At least I'll have the replacement bits when the sound system next dies, but after completing a 5 hour night drive last week when the outside temp was a mere 22 deg, I went to turn the sound system OFF (which I now do before locking the car just in case it freezes at freeway volumes again) and noticed how hot that whole area around the radio, clock, and climate control was!

I guess that's normal, but I'm sure it contributes to the sound system freezing-up.

With regard to the fast idle problem, the throttle return spring was OK so I suspect it's that problem with the throttle body. Not wishing to tackle that without first exhausting every other alternative, I purchased a locally made product called "total fuel system cleaner".

The local manufacturer is NuLon (www.nulon.com.au) and I've been using their performance engine treatment (E20) for years.

Well, $23 worth of total fuel system cleaner in a full tank of fuel and a 600Km run last week and the fast idle problem has gone !!!

In fact the engine is idling better than ever; Nulon's worth a try.

Cheers - The Whale.

whebs

Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

I remember observing -with some concern- the uninsulated climate control ducting behind the stereo bay. If one was using the heater, I can imagine it becoming quite a hostile environment for the head unit's circuitry.

Another thing I've noticed, is that over time the rubber foam stuff used to seal each join in the climate control ducting chain will degrade (if it's really bad you'll see bits of it coming out of the outlet vents). Eventually you get leaks behind the dashboard and inside the centre console. I can't remember how everything was set up in there, but if there is a join in the vicinity it's possible your heating system could be dumping hot air on to the head unit?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Thanks Oubadah, but as the climate control system was cooling, I doubt that the problem you speak of could be the issue with my XJR; I hope not anyway!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

One other thought on the high idle:

Check your throttle cable adjustments...ten minute thing. I recently discovered one of my cables was under tnsioon and holding the throttle open

Cheers
DD