XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Radio and window have power with key off???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and window have power with key off???

Hello All,
I am experiencing a rash of electrical gremlin's lately with my 95 VDP. The interior light fuse keeps on blowing and power stays on to my windows and radio when the car is turned off. The sound the car makes when I use the key fob to lock the doors has also changed to a single high tone from the usual low tone. Any ideas what may be causing these issues? Bad relays, poor connections or swithches I can check?
Thanks!
ED.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Received 10,544 Likes on 6,964 Posts

HAH, looks like you are new.

WELCOME aboard, you will enjoy your stay, trust me, and fun will be had, guaranteed.

The interior light sounds like a short, and could be anywhere. I would change the bulb (globe) as sometimes they can do silly things and blow fuses, I have had it occasionally.

The power "stuck" to the radio and windows sounds horrible like a power relay, of which there are many throughout the car, is stuck ON. The owners handbook has a list of their location, and what they should operate.

Bad earths will reek HAVOC with these cars, so start at the battery, and keep going and when you reckon you found them all, THERE WILL BE MORE, they are in all sorts of obscure places. The X300 is not known specifically for earth issues, but at 16+ yeras young some things are not as they were made, mmm.

I have a print out somewhere in the PC of relay locations if you get lost, or dont have a book.

Your comments about the locking changes, NO IDEA.

In all my years with Jaguar (since 1968), most electrical issues are generally traced to bad earths, so I always start there.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Thanks for your help Grant. I found this link with the wiring diagrams and will attempt to trace out my problems this weekend. Car has 160K mile and still runs fine. Hoping to get a little more out of it before I have to replace it!
ED.
http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...20Diagrams.pdf

Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome, you can also check in FAQs if you like to know other features of your rides . You have a lovely car , happy driving

Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Edlanta
Thanks for your help Grant. I found this link with the wiring diagrams and will attempt to trace out my problems this weekend. Car has 160K mile and still runs fine. Hoping to get a little more out of it before I have to replace it!
ED.
http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...20Diagrams.pdf
Good on Ya.

At 160k miles it is "just run in", so expect to tolerate the beast for a looooooong time to come yet.

Clean air, clean oil (ALL THE OILS), clean fuel, and drive it as designed.

Our S2 V12 is nearing 487000kms and NEVER touched, leaks oil, so what, LOVES the fuel, so what, starts and stops on demand, gives you that nice warm fuzzy feeling, priceless.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a suggestion. Try unhooking the ground on the battery, touch the ground batt cable to the positive terminal. If a little spark its fine. wait about 2 mins and reattach. If still problems check the alarm computer in the trunk or the body control module under the passenger dash. Let me know.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:53 PM

bandre2, I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery and briefly touched it to the positive terminal. There were "no" sparks and after reconnecting the battery no improvement. I could not identify the alarm computer in the trunk or the body module under the dash? What am I looking for??? It also appears that I am slowly draining the battery. If a power module was stuck open or closed would it have that effect (continous power to windows and radio) and be draining the battery???
Thanks All!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 AM

On my RHD the alarm module is up alongside the fuel filler flap mechanism, basically feelable, unless you are REAL flexible ( I am not) and can get in there and look up at that area. The LH side carpet trimm piece will require removal for access.

The other module, NO IDEA.

I have looked at all the wiring stuff I have on the X300 and cannot see a relay that is "accessory" active, only "ignition" active.

One is in the RH heal board and is relay #8 and that is the relay right next to the fuse block. It is light blue in colour and in a black socket.

Another is in the LH healbord, and is also #8 and also right next to the fuse pack, also light blue in a black socket.

In the boot (trunk) relay area you have #2, which is inside the fuse pack, and is listed as "auxillary positive relay", and light blue base.

Relay #4 in the same area, is an accessory relay (dealer fitted??????), and is black based, and may be an empty socket????.

That is all I can find relative to stereo and window power supply.

I will try to add the link to teh adobe paper I have on this stuff, but I am NOT too clever and it may not work. If not send me a PM and I will send it by return, no problems.

OK, I tried to upload the file, but at 13.5mb in total is deemed tooooooo big, sorry guys.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Talking

Found another Adobe paper which is only 2.3mb in size.

The numbering is different to what I quoted above, but that is easily sorted I reckon.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1311761751

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X300 1996 LWB.pdf (2.14 MB, 196 views)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Hello again gentlemen,
Last night I left the radio on and began unplugging modules. I unplugged every module in the truck, the cabin and the engine compartment that I could get my hands on. The radio "never" went off. I was doing this in an attempt to isolate the potentially "Bad" module. Is my logic flawed? Did I simply not find the right one???
Thanks again for your help!
ED.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 AM

Sounds like a faulty ignition switch. when you turn the car off and remove the key all power from the ignition should be off. Could be "stuck open" in the ACC position which would make the windows and radio still operate. Also if you tried to arm it like this it would make a loud beep and not the normal chirp.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM

bandre2,
That is exactly what it is doing. Is there anything I can do to "Unstick" the switch. Can something be sprayed into the switch without messing it up???
Thanks much!
ED.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 PM

try and spray some powdered graphite lubricant on the key and jiggle in and out and on and off. Auto part store sell the lubricant. Just tell them you looking for Powered graphite for key locks

Last edited by bandre2; 07-30-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 AM

I might be wrong, so be it if I am, BUT, looking at the parts drawing that ignition switch "electrical section" attaches to teh steering column on the opposite side to the "key lock" barrel, SO, I am assuming (hahahaha, I know what assumptions are??), that the X300 is the same as the earlier cars where the electrical section is a seperate item to the key section, and I know on our S2,S3,XJ-S that you can spray as much stuff down the key hole and it only lubricates the key bit, it DOES NOT flow through to the electrical section at all, hence the well documented write ups on removing the electrical of the ignition and cleaning it to restore proper working conditions.

That same parts drawing does NOT show how it is attached to the column, but it will NOT be rocket science, and I reckon its removal will be required to clean/lubricate it to restore its workings. It does look like it simply rotates on 2 tangs to release it from its holder, much easier than the earlier cars.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 AM

All you should need to do is lubricate the tumblers so that they dont stick in any one position during key rotation. I have not taken one apart, the part is pretty expensive compared to older models mabey due to the introduction of the skeleton keys.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Default FIxed it! :)

Thanks Guy's we did it! I began by disconnecting all of the connections of the wiring harness that I could access for the interior lights. I put in the fuse and it did not blow. I began hooking up the different connectors till the fuse blew. It was the drivers side sun visor. I pulled the wires out a little and there was the bare wire! I spliced the wire and problem solved. As for the ignition switch I did put 1 quick spray of PB Blaster in the ignition key hole and worked the switch a few times. The power went out when the key was off! Very happy with all the help. You all helped me solve a very frustrating problem and it cost me only time!!! Thanks again all! ED.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Thanks for following up.

cold beer for you and all who helped.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Good , I appreciate your gettin' back to the thread and updating your issue

Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Glad I could help. Anytime