XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rear o/s window stuck open..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear o/s window stuck open..

Hi again everyone been looking everywhere for advice on my predicament, even youtube but to no real avail, and on here including a search which sadly came back 'no results'..

Fatally as it turned out, i turned on the rear window switch so my eldest toddler could wave off his aunty. The window went down ok but is refusing to budge back up the swine. Of course it has been raining here pretty constant since..

Pressing the drivers switch, can hear the relay in back clicking away but no noise from the actual motor. Tried pulling the window up whilst the button is pressed but no joy, and after looking around to find out how i removed the trim and weather shield which enabled me to get my hands under the window but alas it still wont budge.

As still raining and dark, have fashioned a temporary window with a trusty black sack. From everything ive read through today it appears the motor to be at fault, but any other experiences and tips would as ever be hugely welcome. Even if for now i can get the window back closed until i can get a motor, have seen that maybe the channels are blocked and need lubing though i would expected to hear the motor trying to work.

Left with a guess-timate that the wire has snagged/broke thus preventing me from manually pushing the window back up??

On the plus side have learnt heaps about oil changes to engines and trans whilst searching on here

Thanks and virtual beers in advance..

PS. No joy from either switch drivers/rear i might add, though the drivers control switch presses properly on the 'up' setting, when pressing for 'down' there seems no click/connection if this helps..

Last edited by bertone19; 04-11-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additonal info
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 680 Posts

Sorry Bertone, it seems like not many of us have had problems with our power windows here, knock on burled walnut! Sounds like you have been diligent in tracking down the problem. Probably a broken connection to the motor as you mentioned.

Did you check the XJ40 section? Might be worth a try since the design is similar.

The following users liked this post:
bertone19 (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi sleekjag12 I did indeed post in another section and like you say thankfully its not a common problem though did get the suggestion of a towel instead of black sack

Whilst I'll refrain from detailing which brand of sacks fit the xj300 window the best, i can say that after prodding around, checking the runners as much as one can likewise the wiring ie ensuring they pushed on ok both ends the window went back up at the push of the driver's button

I had tried all this initially but no joy, can only think that i thought i could see very slight errosion in one of the upright channels, and by trying to rock the window left to right it must have freed it up.

So my advice for what its worth is if it happens to anyone else would be to follow the logical route listening for relays/motors etc, remove the trim as per instructions and have a good look around. With mine there was no noise at all coming from motor itself only its relay, hence my almost ordering new motor but thankfully it didn't need one. All thats left to do is put trim back on as i want to 'lube' up the rails with a silicon spray and grease what cogs etc i can see. Thanks to everyone though for assistance