XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Remote won't program (yes i have read other threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 453 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Remote won't program (yes i have read other threads)

Firstly Yes, i have tried researching and read all the threads i can find.
I just recently purchased my 95 Sov.
The remote not working is one of its little problems.
so i changed the batteries,
i first tried a CR2032 as i did not have any 2016s available. the remote lights worked but it would not program.
so i went and purchased some new CR2016s.
still not working.
so, the lights on the remote come on, red when pressing lock, green when pressing unlock. so the remote has power.
i open the boot, i open the car, i turn he key to on, i flick valet switch 5 times, car beeps as it enters programming mode.
however when i press the remote button nothing happens and after 15 secs the programming mode just times out and the car beeps at me,
when in programming mode i can flick the valet switch and change to another programming position, but 1,2,3,4 or 5 none will work.
i am really not sure what the problem is.
i can only assume the the remote is not outputting the RF signal or the car is not receiving it.
i have no idea how to check either of these, and before buying another remote i want to know that is what the issue is.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 848 Posts

The correct frequency stamped on the FOB for your year should be 315 Hz , the FOB in hand may have been obtained elsewhere

I can be wrong for the Australian market

Was the security lock control module swapped sometime ago and the # stamped on it would confirm

The rear glass replaced with the different length dimension FOB antenna ?

Do you have the security code for your original Jaguar stereo head ?

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2021 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Parker 7
The correct frequency stamped on the FOB for your year should be 315 Hz , the FOB in hand may have been obtained elsewhere

Was the security lock control module swapped sometime ago and the # stamped on it would confirm

The rear glass replaced with the different length dimension FOB antenna ?
will check the antenna, not sure where the security module is to check, i was under the assumption that Aust delivered cars were 433mhz, only the US ones were different? obliviously i dunno as i am very new here but its what my research so far has told me. i opened up the FOB and i know it is 433 Mhz,

but yeah just went and checked the antenna and from the looks of it, YES it is infact a 315Mhz antenna.
obviously i assumed the FOB that came with the car was correct one, but clearly not. guess i will have to try and locate a 315Mhz FOB now.....

thanks Parker7.
good to know people around here are nice and helpful to NOOBS like myself.
I have a lot to learn, have always loved Jags and happy to now own one, but there is a lot to learn about these cars thats for sure.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Don't buy a FOB yet as it seems to communicate a little bit

Stereo security code ?

The SLCU is located under the fuel cap behind the left trunk hinge and is mounted at a slight angle with 4 connectors in a row

A pic can be seen on page 26

jagxj1996.pdf (jagrepair.com)

And for the part #

Genuine Security/locking Module For Jaguar Xj 1995 - 1997 (from 720125 To 812255) Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

Don't buy a FOB yet as it seems to communicate a little bit

Stereo security code ?

The SLCU is located under the fuel cap behind the left trunk hinge and is mounted at a slight angle with 4 connectors in a row

A pic can be seen on page X
i will have a look a the SLCU when i get a chance tommorrow.

i have all the original books from the car but cannot find the radio security code so must be missing that.

and i don't think the fob is communicating at all, it just seems it itself is working and the car is entering programming mode as it should.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

Aftermarket stereo ?

Some editing of above post

There are some fob switches that can be replaced but you say you have the red light on the FOB ?

The FOB is not cheap but a Saab apparently is a substitution

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2021 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member

Aftermarket stereo ?

Some editing of above post

There are some fob switches that can be replaced but you say you have the red light on the FOB ?

The FOB is not cheap but a Saab apparently is a substitution
factory stereo but can't find code for it, (will be upgrading head unit anyways)
will check everything tommorrow.
but yeah it does look like i need a new fob
just hope i can find the right one

Old 10-31-2021, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

LNA2600BC002

is the specific SLCU only used for Australia , at least on their paper

Some have had the FOB batteries flipped around or not using high quality brand batteries

Used a pencil eraser to clean the FOB battery contacts ?

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2021 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

LNA2600BC002

is the specific SLCU only used for Australia , at least on their paper

Some have had the FOB batteries flipped around or not using high quality brand batteries

Used a pencil eraser to clean the FOB battery contacts ?
i bought good quality batteries and changed them myself, have changed them in all configs.
can try and clean the contacts but i assume they are fine as the lights work on the remote.
this is the antenna on my window which appears to be 315 mhz antenna and this remote does show 433mhz

The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

Bed time

The frequency should also be on the FOB battery cover

Try to not unplug the SLCU

Fuel cap well drain screen clear ? it pulls straight out and a wire can chase down the tube

This well plastic can also crack

A over flow of water can contaminate the SLCU connectors , but at this point don't remove connectors

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2021 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member

Bed time

The frequency should also be on the FOB battery cover

Try to not unplug the SLCU

Fuel cap well drain screen clear ? it pulls straight out and a wire can chase down the tube

This well plastic can also crack

A over flow of water can contaminate the SLCU connectors , but at this point don't remove connectors
there is no sticker or label on the battery cover of the fob so there is just the indication inside on the pcb.
the fuel cap drain is clear i washed the car yesterday, it did block up but i cleared it, so maybe a previous issue i am unsure.
when i do check the SLCU i assume it is clear to see part number / frequency?

Old 10-31-2021, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

I can't remember if you can see around the side of the module

The frequency may be stamped on it so you have a idea of the parts you have to work with

The part # of the SLCU may be the wrong but the frequency be correct ( what ever that may be ) and still be possible to work

This may be because of the tolerance of the device ( s ) and the country's communications regulators

Regulators don't like bleed over but in the real world.......

A US device may have a frequency of 335 but have a bleed over bandwidth from 330 to 340

But a AU device must have a tighter tolerance from 334 to 336 to pass AU regulations , just guessing as an illustration

The signal is strongest at 335 and gets weaker away from that target frequency

or the signal can be shifted and strongest at 336 and weakens away from that value

So in this scenario a US device would work still if 335 is your system

The antenna may be the wrong length maybe a quarter wave length antenna but a 335 or a 433 signal will still be picked up by either antenna length just not optimally

How that signal is processed inside the SLCU...............

Bottom line what I'm saying is don't buy parts yet until a parts inventory and it may still work outside of the official part list

The issue can be elsewhere and can be resolved or maybe the SLCU just needs a " Hard Reset " hence the stereo security reset code

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member

I can't remember if you can see around the side of the module

The frequency may be stamped on it so you have a idea of the parts you have to work with

The part # of the SLCU may be the wrong but the frequency be correct ( what ever that may be ) and still be possible to work

This may be because of the tolerance of the device ( s ) and the country's communications regulators

Regulators don't like bleed over but in the real world.......

A US device may have a frequency of 335 but have a bleed over bandwidth from 330 to 340

But a AU device must have a tighter tolerance from 334 to 336 to pass AU regulations , just guessing as an illustration

The signal is strongest at 335 and gets weaker away from that target frequency

or the signal can be shifted and strongest at 336 and weakens away from that value

So in this scenario a US device would work still if 335 is your system

The antenna may be the wrong length maybe a quarter wave length antenna but a 335 or a 433 signal will still be picked up by either antenna length just not optimally

How that signal is processed inside the SLCU...............

Bottom line what I'm saying is don't buy parts yet until a parts inventory and it may still work outside of the official part list

The issue can be elsewhere and can be resolved or maybe the SLCU just needs a " Hard Reset " hence the stereo security reset code
have not had a chance to have a look and may not get a chance until the weekend.
if it needs a hard reset and i do not have the radio security code what can i do?
i did realise today that the drive away locking function does not work.(not sure if dealer turned off or SLCU issue)

Old 11-01-2021, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

The US models have the same Jaguar / Alpine stereo head as the rest but does not lose the security code ( lock out from turning on ) when you do a Hard Reset

Others whould know how to prevent the stereo from being effected by a hard reset

Speaking as someone that a reset is not a issue simply removing the stereo and reinstalling it is the lock out intent for the stereo as a anti stereo theft feature

What is drive away locking function ? A viewing of this video and a time mark may help that where on the same page , just different English languages

Last edited by Parker 7; 11-01-2021 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

i am going to do an upgrade of the head unit so being locked out of it would not be the end of the world. lol.
is what you refer to as a hard reset of the SLCU meaning unplugging and plugging back in?
(actually already saved that video on my comp. thought it was so cool. lol)
time stamp would be 3:12 in that video. drive away locking is supposedly standard unless turned off by a dealer.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hard reset is removing both battery terminal cables + and - and touching them together

place a box or towel over the battery post to prevent inadvertent touching them with the cables in the air

The longer time the 2 cables are connected the better , like overnight

A battery jumper cable can be used to make the connection of the + and _ battery cables above a box over your battery

Bed time

The original stereo head can be easily modified to run a jack plug to any device but you lose the cassette

This is beyond the old cassettes with a plug and not a blue tooth with its audio quality degraded

Last edited by Parker 7; 11-01-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 680 Posts

Likely that the previous owner bought a new remote not realising the car needs a 315 remote not 433. His problem is solved but not yours.

Have you installed two 2016 batteries as it is a 6 volt remote.

Attached Files
Old 11-01-2021, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Likely that the previous owner bought a new remote not realising the car needs a 315 remote not 433. His problem is solved but not yours.

Have you installed two 2016 batteries as it is a 6 volt remote.
yeah i am thinking that is the likely cause.
and yeah it has 2 nice shiny new 2016's in it atm.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Any Australian members with able to confirm the frequency of their cars?
i was under the assumption all AU were 433mhz.
But my rear window clearly looks like the 315mhz one.
i can’t see the frequency of any of the remotes i have seem for sale.

also can anyone confirm will a later model jag remote work? Say maybe the 3 button remote from like a 99 xjs?
Would love to just be able to test a bunch or remotes but can’t do that.
will take it apart and clean it with rubbing alcohol on the weekend and check the SLCU connections.

but was hoping to see what other Aussies have found.
also if and where they were able to easy find a new remote.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

The 2 remotes I have are on the battery cover but hard to see being small numbers , 315

On E- bay you can ask the seller a question on the webpage , just don't tell them the answer you want to hear

The salvage yards may have a remote but otherwise they are not cheap and the Australian mail speed

Do you see the red light when depressing the FOB buttons ?

Disconnect the battery before removing or installing the SLCU , can induce a new problem you don't want to deal with

Parts :

micro switch repair remote alarm key fob jaguar XJ6 XJ12 XJR X300 saab 9000 900 | eBay

and

Jaguar Remote Key Fob Replacement Buttons Kit for XJ6 XJ12 XJR Genuine JLM20626 | eBay

Last edited by Parker 7; 11-02-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Remote won't program (yes i have read other threads)