XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replacement speakers

I'm looking at replacing the door speakers in my car, as at least one of them is starting to buzz quite badly. As far as I know they are the originals, so it's not surprising. Am I right in thinking that I want component speakers, rather than co-axial speakers to replace them with?

Any info. much appreciated.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to steer clear of Walmart in the US and not give them business, but just today I ordered speakers from them. Must be a closeout item? Check online for Blaupunkt 6 1/2" on their website. I did not want anything fancy, just something to replace originals. it was only 30 US for a set of 4! I will be able to pick them up locally, so I have no idea what it might cost to post them to UK.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Re speakers for X300

I replaced the sound sytem in my previous Jaguar a X300 XJR6
The X300 uses 6 inch speakers not 6,1/2 inch speakers very frustrating
I replaced them with slimline coaxial as I did not want to *******ise the interior I also installed at the time the latest mechless head unit from alpine with Ipod controller
There are far greater choice of speakers now than back then same as head units the 6 inch speakers have difficulties producing bass
I did blow one of them up then installed a small amplifier and EQ device so as not too allow too much bass to them
I then installed some alpine bass engines under the seats lot of messing around back then not as bad as updating the sound system in my X350 but thats another storey

Oh just one thing the sound of a dead speaker is crackling or like a loose piece of metal the sound you describe sounds liken head unit output amplifier section

Old 03-07-2020, 02:39 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi Stu, I replaced the whole system in my ride a few months ago, Mine is a base model so did not have the premium sound system some came with. i.e amp and speaker in the centre of the parcel shelf.
It does, however, have two sets of component speakers with the front tweeters sitting under a mess grill either side of the windscreen vents and the rear sitting in the corners of the rear parcel shelf. There are no inline cross overs just small resistors attached to each tweeter. the door speakers are an odd size just over 6 inch. I swapped mine out with 2 pairs of Alpine 6.5 inch components.
I made brackets out of perspex cutting boards, to sit the new speakers further back into the door, to keep the original look and not have to make any modifications to the door cover itself.
I also fitted a powered subwoofer under the passenger seat, along with an alpine amp under the drivers. The entire set up ended up costing me more then I had intended but am very happy with the end result.

Original Door speaker

Original tweeters

new head Alpine head unit, I have my finger over the source button as it was washing out the photo

The following users liked this post:
Jeremy Faris (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 09:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, i just purchased the cheapo ones because at 30 for 4 blaupunkt i cant lose! If they dont fit or require too much fiddling, i'll just sell them to someone else. And pass the deal on. How hard was it to mount your speakers Mike? I just checked the bolt circle diameter on the ones ive got coming. its is 5.6" so just about the same as the ones you show pulled off.

Last edited by Jeremy Faris; 03-07-2020 at 09:18 AM.