XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacing rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Replacing rear view mirror

So my dimming mirror does not work, so i purchased a 2nd hand one to replace it.
now the issue i have is i have the early version with the slider and the one i got is the later version.
they have different mounting to the windscreen.
so how can i make this fit on my car?
can i buy the windscreen mount component easily?
i have seen something about swapping the internals from one to the other. But these two versions have different glass
how do i best bench test the new mirror before doing anything tho.
i want to ensure it does work before doing anything like this tho.

Last edited by Spud Maat; 03-06-2023 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hang on a sec, is this one they sent me from a x308?
it has a 6pin plug.

Last edited by Spud Maat; 03-06-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

Well that's a fail. Yes that new one is the X308 type... send it back. The newer version for the X300 has 3 wires like the old one. But the X300 update also has the different glass and mounting that carried into the X308. Weird, huh. Six wires... there's another example of the X308 being twice as complicated as the X300!

Last edited by SleekJag12; 03-07-2023 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah apparently the x308 could have also had auto headlights and that is the light sensor for it.

i suppose my question is,

can i swap the arms? I guess i can look and see if the arms attach to the back of the mirror with the same size ball.

but the wiring. I can swap the plug “if” it is as sinple as taking the 3 corresponding wires and connecting only those up.
Does anyone know?

i am happy to make this work rather than **** around and send it back if i can.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:40 AM
Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

You should be able to just figure out which wires go where and splice in the old plug, discarding the unnecessary wires.
As for the mount, you can either swap out the arms, or try to remove the mount from a later car at a wrecker (not sure how easy it would be though) - its not sold separately as far as i know.

The ball is probably not exactly the same size, but you might get lucky, or you will have to either hack them up and transplant the ball mount over on the other mirror, or if its too small, use some sort of substance to increase the diameter of the ball to make it fit. (i.e moldable epoxy, several layers of filler or something similar)

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

I already have a updated type mirror that I wanted to use (from my old donor). My original has the liquid wave in the glass. If the ball joint is a match it might be possible! Go for it.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:50 AM
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi... I did the same thing as you... I bought a newer rearview mirror and fitted it to my old female connector. It can be easily done! All I did was use the connector from my old mirror, de-pined the new mirror (the wires slide out if you push at the correct angle from the front of the plug), re-pined the wires from the newer mirror into the old male connector plug (you don't have to use all the wires...just need the ground, power, signal wire....maybe one more...I can look it up later or you can look them in the wiring diagrams). Bam working rear view mirror

You could do the snip-snap thing but that would look ugly and it's very easy to swap connectors

While I was in there I ran two wires to each of the side mirrors and swapped my side mirrors for the auto-dim side mirrors and now I don't get my eyeballs fried when I drive at night ...note about the side mirrors--the passenger side auto dim mirror will not be curved so be mindful of that when switching lanes (over in Canada passenger side is curved so that you can see more of the traffic in the lane over to you...hence the warning "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" on the mirrors)

Old 03-07-2023, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

I will use the proper plug.
it looks like i found the wiring i need.

auto dim side mirrors. Fancy!

Old 03-07-2023, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Spud Maat
they have different mounting to the windscreen.
so how can i make this fit on my car?
can i buy the windscreen mount component easily?
i have seen something about swapping the internals from one to the other. But these two versions have different glass
how do i best bench test the new mirror before doing anything tho.
i want to ensure it does work before doing anything like this tho.
The mounting comes with the windscreen. You could try a wrecker for that but it's very hard to remove it

The glass can be tested by giving positive power to the power pin and the signal pin and negative to the ground...it will go dark very quickly...just make sure you don't give it too much current (limit the current to a very low amperage) or for too long bc I have managed to destroy mirrors while bench testing them

Taking apart the ball is possible but the plastic is brittle. Use lots of WD40 and warm it up a bit...no idea about the sizes...

Old 03-07-2023, 03:01 AM

I will use the proper plug.
it looks like i found the wiring i need.

auto dim side mirrors. Fancy!
The wiring changes slightly over the years too. So double-check with the wiring manual (or when you do take apart the mirror, the connections will be mentioned on the PCB itself)

Auto dim side mirrors--you run the same wire as the signal wire to the sides...forgot to mention that...

Old 03-07-2023, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member

My car is only 3 pin wire.
there is no signal wire.
there is power, ground, reverse.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

ok, so tested this replacement and it does not appear to be working.
so when i tested the one in my car i turned the car on, shone a light at it, the green light came on however there was no change to the mirror. cover the sensor and the green liht turns off

now when i bench tested this one, i connected negative to black (gnd) and positive to white (+power) and once again the green light comes on however the screen does not appear to darken.
cover the sensor and the green light stays on.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:27 AM

My car is only 3 pin wire.
there is no signal wire.
there is power, ground, reverse.
The car doesn't need to have a signal wire. The new 6-pin mirror you have, one of those is the output for the side mirrors. Refer to page 65 diagram 11.5 lower right corner in the link:

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxj1998.pdf page 65 diagram 11.5 lower right corner

I replaced both male and female plugs so that I could run wires from the female end to the side mirrors (vs having to splice the wires in the male, mirror end, of the connector to run to the side mirrors)

Old 03-07-2023, 05:32 AM

ok, so tested this replacement and it does not appear to be working.
so when i tested the one in my car i turned the car on, shone a light at it, the green light came on however there was no change to the mirror. cover the sensor and the green liht turns off

now when i bench tested this one, i connected negative to black (gnd) and positive to white (+power) and once again the green light comes on however the screen does not appear to darken.
cover the sensor and the green light stays on.
I see from the picture you posted, you have the sensitivity knob at the back...maybe that needs to be played with?

Also note that if you short the reverse wire with the power, the mirror won't dim...also isn't the grey wire negative? I can't recall anymore and the wiring diagram (previous post) shows you the wires for the female end...which are different coloured from the male end....

Old 03-07-2023, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by someguywithajag
I see from the picture you posted, you have the sensitivity knob at the back...maybe that needs to be played with?

Also note that if you short the reverse wire with the power, the mirror won't dim...also isn't the grey wire negative? I can't recall anymore and the wiring diagram (previous post) shows you the wires for the female end...which are different coloured from the male end....
from what i could tell white and black are the correct wires.
played with the knob and got nothing.

was just looking at some aftermarket ones on ebay as a potential option however i am struggling to find one that actually comes with the windscreen mounting plate.

Last edited by Spud Maat; 03-07-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Should have just gone the refurb option
i paid $300 for this 2nd hand one that turns out to be wrong for my car and not working.
hopefully i can get an easy return and refund from the seller and then i will decide between a cheap aftermartket option ~$100 AU,
or sending mine to the states for refurb
$350 AU including postage ($160 US plus postage)
atleast then it will be brand new

Old 03-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 822 Posts

My to the X300 later version rear view mirror inside internals swap over to the early X300 frame

My early version was bad

This keeps from changing the front windshield glass attach mount and post

Sure the 3 wire connectors are different and would have to look at it again to be sure I am accurate.

I think the upgraded X300 version is a different chemical in the glass silvering ( dragon's blood ) so should be good for ages

350 AU is alot of vegemite , yum yum

Last edited by Parker 7; 03-07-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 822 Posts

Good info in this link

I'll have to look for the upgraded version shell ( probably still have it after transferring internals ) if it has a part # on it

X300 rear view mirror questions - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 03-08-2023, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

it is a lot of vegemite. also a lot of tim tams.

i am waiting to hear back from the wrecker that gave me this wrong one.
i guess i will just look and see what happens.
right now i am thinking changing the windscreen mount and using an aftermarket one may be a solid option as it is most cost effective.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165585672057
something like this looks like a cost effective option.
a lot of these also have an embedded 4.3" screen for reverse camera (which i would not use as i have my android unit)

Last edited by Spud Maat; 03-08-2023 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

there are options to upgrade with a dash cam mirror, but i think a standalone dash cam will be better choice.
i do not need a mirror with screen for rear view camera so i may just get on of these.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...d=AHbjSQxj0u7p

Quick Reply: Replacing rear view mirror