XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Results of AC compressor and dryer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014 | 11:34 AM
|
Veteran Member
Smile Results of AC compressor and dryer replacement

Have run into one thing that is very concerning. First off my tech and I replaced the compressor and dryer canister in the 95 X300 yesterday. What we found was the same thing I found eight years ago when the AC went belly up and would barely cool. The entire system was full of the pellets from the dryer canister. At that time only the dryer needed replacement. Since then it has worked pretty well. Yesterday we again blew out the entire system and hopefully got rid of all the pellets. The results were very good. AC for now is working great.

This morning I took the old dryer and sawed off the ends. And what I found bothers me. There is nothing inside except for one end that has a screen about 3 1/2 inches from the end and the other end just has an open tube sticking into the cavity. The thirteen inches I cut out of the middle has nothing in it. I assume this is where the pellets were kept but there were none there when I cut it open. This means the canister has to be oriented in a certain way. On the old canister the only notation was the word "top" on the end with the tube. But this makes no sense since the dryer is mounted horizontal above the condenser. On the new one there is no notation at all. Which means it could be in backwards with pellets again going through the entire syatem.

I sure would like someone to spread some light on this dryer canister situation.

Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails Results of AC compressor and dryer replacement-dryer-canister-cut-open.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014 | 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

One would hope that the new one is protected at both ends, but without cutting it open, who knows?

Old 05-30-2014 | 03:23 PM
|
Veteran Member

After looking on youtube and seeing other canisters, of a different design, that were fully opened up I decided to cut open the very end where the screen was (first picture). And I removed the screen and grate (second picture) and there were the pellets. I don't see how the pellets on this canister could have gotten loose in the system. They were contained in about a three inch section of the canister with intact grates and screens atboth ends. I have come to the conclusion that the pellets we found , and there were a lot of them, this time were left over from the problem eight years ago. Amazing the AC worked as well as it did all that time.

The last picture is of the pellet side of the screen. It is almost totally clogged. From now on I will replace that canister every time I have the system fully serviced. And I fully recommend that everyone do the same.

Thanks guys for listening.

Attached Thumbnails Results of AC compressor and dryer replacement-pther-end-cut-open.jpg   Results of AC compressor and dryer replacement-pellets-exposed.jpg   Results of AC compressor and dryer replacement-inside-pellet-screen.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by EZDriver:
Chattanooga_XJR (05-30-2014), mailshack (05-30-2014), patetonga (06-01-2014), RJ237 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014 | 11:13 PM

EZ, thanks for the info. I plan to change the dryer anytime the system is open. I hope your A/C keeps you nice-n-chilly for years to come now!

Coincidently, dryer pellets loose in the system is what kicked off my problem. The condenser was plugged tight with them and try as I may, I couldn't get get it servicable again. I blew lots of pellets out of the evaporater and lines. Then I did it a second time...and a third...

The new compressor goes in tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Bob

Old 05-31-2014 | 03:37 PM

I'm planning on vacuuming my system, and dumping in some dye and refrigerant. How much R134 does our system take?

I found this, https://techchoiceparts.com/refriger...acities/jaguar, that states 38.5 ounces.

Last edited by mgb4tim; 05-31-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2014 | 10:21 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I'm planning on vacuuming my system, and dumping in some dye and refrigerant. How much R134 does our system take?

I found this, https://techchoiceparts.com/refriger...acities/jaguar, that states 38.5 ounces.
The system requires about 2.5 to 2.6 pounds. On final servicing look at the pressure to make sure it has enough. We had to add just a little more to get good pressures. The manusa calls for 1100+/-50 ml which works out to be 2.53 pounds for 1150 ml. But this amount seems to be just a little low.

Old 06-01-2014 | 10:27 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mailshack
EZ, thanks for the info. I plan to change the dryer anytime the system is open. I hope your A/C keeps you nice-n-chilly for years to come now!

Coincidently, dryer pellets loose in the system is what kicked off my problem. The condenser was plugged tight with them and try as I may, I couldn't get get it servicable again. I blew lots of pellets out of the evaporater and lines. Then I did it a second time...and a third...

The new compressor goes in tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Bob
After opening up the canister I can't figure out how the pellets can get loose. The only thing that I can figure out is that the canister is installed backwards. But there is no indication on the canister. I think the input side of the canister should be the opposite end from where the pellet pack is located. That way the pellet pack is always being pushed up against the end fitting and is more secure that way. The opposite way may allow the pellet pack to be forced down the tube by plugged screens where it gets cocked and the pellets get loose. Be careful how you mount the canister.

Last edited by EZDriver; 06-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (06-01-2014)
Old 06-18-2014 | 06:36 AM

Looks like I need to replace my compressor and dryer on my 95. Is there a sticky link/how to? Any "got ya" I should know about?

Old 06-18-2014 | 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cygnus x1
Is there a sticky link/how to? Any "got ya" I should know about?
I don't recall one, though there may be. Standard stuff a/c-wise, vacuum the system - You'll need to pull the top plate off at the bonnet-hinge end (front) I think about 8-10 8mm screws. Not sure if you need to pull the condenser or not to get the dryer off - when I changed my condenser due to failure owing to lost mounts - I had to remove the dryer from the old one to get the top mounts - It was "pookied" on with a bunch of asphalt tape and I don't think I could've gotten it loose w/cond still mounted to car. Removal of the front grille will be most helpful although perhaps also un-necessary. (4 M6 screws, I think)

Replace your condenser iso-mounts while you're at it. Uppers can be had all-day-long from Rock Auto for cheap - get you some radiator mounts while you are at it (same top/bottom on those.) Lower condenser mounts are a different animal - I believe probably only available from the dealer at $8 or $9 ea. and likely special order at that.

I may have posted some pics of the condenser change, can't remember - but if so they may be of some use to you. I'll look around later this evening and edit back a link if I find 'em.

Meh...not much help - but it does have a shot of the condenser off-car so you can see the R/D arrangement. Also the upper mounting rubbers and how they can fail:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dilemma-84659/

Page 3 of this album has some decent shots of the condenser and Rec/Dr mounted atop it:
VDP Mechanicals Photos by holbrz1 | Photobucket

My Compressor's always been solid - so I haven't trucked with it - hence no photos of it.

Last edited by aholbro1; 06-18-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2014 | 02:35 PM

aholbro1
That would be cool if you have a link. I hate to go at it blindfolded....but it wouldn't be the first time. I have the parts and service manuals, which help but nothing like "real" pictures.

Old 06-19-2014 | 09:46 AM

BTW
Where is the expansion valve shown or listed in the service manual or pats list? Where is it in the car, since I can find it in the diagrams?

Old 06-19-2014 | 01:53 PM

I found the answer to this question. I guess I should have read through the AC related posts first. It's part of the evaporator assy under the dash. Sounds like I have the same issue as everyone else, the dryer crapped out and pellets are clogging the system. I also have a problem with the compressor, when the clutch engages it's bogging down causing the belt to squeal. Wonder if pellets have made it all the way into it and causing it to lock up?

Old 06-20-2014 | 02:51 PM
|
Veteran Member

The dryer canister is located on top of the condenser and can be easily accessed by removing the grill on front of the car. Only four screws. Easy.

After replacing the compressor and dryer followed by a lot of blowing and then a good vacume and reload the system is working great. I just hope there are no more pellets in the system.

Last edited by EZDriver; 06-20-2014 at 02:53 PM.