XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

So there I was, miles from anywhere and .....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So there I was, miles from anywhere and .....

I went to a Classic car show yesterday and parked up on the Jaguar stand along with the local Jag Club regulars. A fine day was had by all until it came time to leave. The engine turned over on the starter at the usual speed but it sounded like it had no intention of actually firing up. I did the usual thing of checking that the red "P" was showing and tried again .... Nothing.
Meanwhile, a gang of Jaguar enthusiasts had gathered round and one guy asked if I had done the gear selector thing. He then said to try holding the selector HARD up into the top of the gate while turning the key and she fired up heartily.
I had to take her out again last night and, when I tried to start her later for the return journey, same thing. Bags of power to turn the engine from the battery but that's all it was with nothing except whirr, whirr, whirr, whirr.
I did the two trick that I now know with the gear selector and in both cases the red "P" was glowing. Then I tried pushing the lever towards the top and then holding it to the right of the slot. She fired up first go.
Now, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but even I can figure out that something needs fettling with the sensor in the gate that tells the engine that it's OK to start.
The question is, is it a job for a Jaguar mechanic or is it something that the average DIYer can tackle?
Cheers,
Steve

Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Received 10,504 Likes on 6,936 Posts

Steve,

Remove the ski slope timber, not rocket science, so post back if you dont know how to get this off.

On the RH side of the J gate is a switch pack arrangement that is your culprit.

My daughters XJ40 (1988) had cruise control issues, and this switch was the problem. Based on this I removed the switch on my X300 and cleaned it way back when I first purchased the car, and have never had issues. There was a lot of dusty muck inside the switch, so trouble was not far away in my opinion.

There is a "slight" adjustment of this switch, based on the clearance of the mounting screws in relation to the holes in the switch, and sometimes that is all that is needed to get it working correctly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
5tevie (06-27-2011), JimC64 (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one Grant, thanks for posting

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Hi Grant,
Thanks very much for that info. I'm chuffed that it can be tackled at home.
That's the good news.
The bad news is that I won't be able to have a go at it for a couple of days 'cos I'm back in hospital in the morning. I should be back on my feet on Wednesday and walking by Thursday.
It will give me time to read up on removing the ski slope and fixing that little booger under there.
Maybe I should had added that this car is a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 3.2 (X300)

Once again, Grant, thanks for the info and I'll report back when I have been able to have a crack at it.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Grant don't suppose you have any picture of the switch you talking about..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Steve,

Remove the ski slope timber, not rocket science, so post back if you dont know how to get this off.

On the RH side of the J gate is a switch pack arrangement that is your culprit.

My daughters XJ40 (1988) had cruise control issues, and this switch was the problem. Based on this I removed the switch on my X300 and cleaned it way back when I first purchased the car, and have never had issues. There was a lot of dusty muck inside the switch, so trouble was not far away in my opinion.

There is a "slight" adjustment of this switch, based on the clearance of the mounting screws in relation to the holes in the switch, and sometimes that is all that is needed to get it working correctly.
Where is the J gate and where is the switch pack?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

In the very middle

Jgate= shifter

Switch is under the wood

Old 06-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
In the very middle

Jgate= shifter

Switch is under the wood

Message received......

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 5tevie
Hi Grant,
Thanks very much for that info. I'm chuffed that it can be tackled at home.
That's the good news.
The bad news is that I won't be able to have a go at it for a couple of days 'cos I'm back in hospital in the morning. I should be back on my feet on Wednesday and walking by Thursday.
It will give me time to read up on removing the ski slope and fixing that little booger under there.
Maybe I should had added that this car is a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 3.2 (X300)

Once again, Grant, thanks for the info and I'll report back when I have been able to have a crack at it.
You MUST do all this at home, coz that is where the alcohol supply is. You will require 3 beers prior to removing the ski slope, 2 more when its off, 1 more when the switch is off, NO more whilst put the switch back (after cleaning of course), by now I am usually "busting for a pee" so a break is in order, and liquid fertilising of "her" rose bushes is duly completed, then stay "sober" whilst you test your handy work,then refit the ski slope carefully, you dont want to crack the bloody thing, then have 1 or 2 or 3 liquid pleasures when all done and the Beast works like brand new.

That way you dont have to "drink drive" after the work if done somewhere else, that would be irresponsible.

SERIOUSLY, it is a simple task, and the Jaguar "fear factor" is the issue here.

Take care in the nurses domain, it is NOT fun at all, I spent 6 months in one in 1992, and took 3 more months to learn the basics of life all over again, all the things we do take for granted, THINK about it. Fine tuned my very warped sense of humour during that extended stay, stuff happens as we say.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Simprof
Grant don't suppose you have any picture of the switch you talking about..
NO, I am a real slacko with that.

I MUST remember the Kodak when I venture into the inner depths of British finest. Usually I am flat out remembering why I am pulling the damn thing apart, this mature age is scary, REALLY.

Once the ski slope is off it will all become REAL clear, and the switch pack is on the RH side of the gear lever assembly, no matter which hand the driver sits on.

Be a DEVIL, move the gear lever, and observe the workings, simple as it gets, simple pin from the lever operates the switch slide. Of course you will need to turn the ignition ON, and stomp on the brake pedal to unlock that dumb interlock thingy, so be careful, coz obviously the car will move once out of park. I dont think about that coz my drive is as flat as a billiard table, and just as level, and I DONT have that interlock.

IF you really want photos, let me know I will pop the ski slope and oblige, BUT how do I post them here???????, I am not that computer savvy, simple minded, must be the beer, NO WAY, lack of more likely hahaha.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

See the pdf in post #5 but I don't think I took a pic. of just the switch...sorry..I was trying to fix the lights ;-)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...witches-53109/

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

'The engine turned over on the starter at the usual speed but it sounded like it had no intention of actually firing up. I did the usual thing of checking that the red "P" was showing and tried again .... Nothing.'

Didn't Stevie say the engine cranked but no start? It's not the J gate problem then.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Straight guy wrote .....
'The engine turned over on the starter at the usual speed but it sounded like it had no intention of actually firing up. I did the usual thing of checking that the red "P" was showing and tried again .... Nothing.'
Didn't Stevie say the engine cranked but no start? It's not the J gate problem then.

That's what I said and that's how it happened. I had heard in the past that if you turned the key and got nothing from the starter motor at all, then the first thing to check was that the gear selector was in PARK and that the red "P" was lit up. I'll stress that this is when the engine fails to turn over AT ALL on the starter.
But when you are sat there, miles from anywhere, in a field, you try anything and, long story short, HOLDING the selector as tight to the top as it would go while turning the key got the car to fire up.
Maybe, at first glance, it seems wrong to suspect the "J" gate sensor gizmo if the starter is actually turning the engine over but, on the other hand, what harm can it do to remove the ski slope and clean the sensor?
Cheers,
Steve

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Grant .... I'll get the Boss Lady to nip into ASDA and get some Falling Down water prior to tackling the job. I've had the work done on my spine this morning but not a big job so I should be out and about on Wednesday.
I hate this place. Most folk go somewhere nice and sunny for their hols but I seem to spend 4 weeks every year looking at ugly nurses.
I wouldn't mind so much but 3 charge £2.99 per day for internet access!!

I'll take loads of pictures of the ski slope job and put them up on here.
Cheers,
Steve

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 AM

Good one Steve, glad all went well.

No good these "none pretty nurses", damn I had a few of them in my time in there.

Maybe they do it deliberately to get us silly Jag people out of there, hahaha.

Tooooooo much money for IT, highway robbery, it is already in the building, running right past your bed, whats going on, captive clients, mmmmm.

Take it careful and get well real soon, I will open a fresh bottle of Merlot just for you, I will enjoy.