XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Some brief newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some brief newbie questions

Hello. Recently bought a 95 VDP. Condition is good, mileage is 74k, well maintained as i've seen on records and by previous owner but some things are pushing me to open up the toolbox.
I am pretty sure there are answers here since these are aged cars and there should not be any problems rest unexperienced but if i may ask my small question in one topic then
1) Engine shakes a bit on cold and hot idle. No power lost, takes a throttle right away so doesn't look like regular misfire (have a record on two coils and six plugs replaced recently). Doesn't look like vacuum leak too - sprayed around with starting fluid with no rpm rise. No shake on "D" - can notice the engine works only by tacho and slight purr feel on the steering wheel. Any common approach on or leave it? Have IDS118.5 already and Rotunda VCM to be delivered this week if need to diagnose with a software.
2) Previous owner changed the oil before sale, and it is a 5W-20. Should i change it ASAP to something heavier? I have a feel that these engines like 10w-40ish or so. Oil gauge is a bit lower than "N" cold or hot.
3) The inner rubber waist seals on door windows. Missing both of them on right side. By EPC they are part of the door trim top piece and not sold separately but i clearly see them just slide into the chrome trim. By any chance is there a suitable aftermarket replacement? Don't want to buy a full trim although i've seen a few on ebay at reasonable price.
4) Trunk lights both doesn't work. Have power on both lights so probably either BCM doesn't receive a latch switch status or ground from BCM is not reaching the lights. Any common place to check the harness for the start? Like trunk hinge or elsewhere?
5) Seat memory only works at headrest. All other memory doesn't however manual adjustment works in every direction (except the lumbar - pump works but no inflation occurs). Steering column and mirrors memory works but as i understood it is a different controller.

Thanks in advance.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 846 Posts

Question 4 and 5 , see page X and Y

jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/jagxj1995.pdf

The 96 wiring guide is more complete and clearer , for 96 page 100 ( 89 square is a fuse which you have ) and 163 , NAS = North American Specification
jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/jagxj1996.pdf

" slight purr feel on the steering wheel "

Do a drain refill of 4 or 5 cycles until your cat quits purring

Last edited by Parker 7; Yesterday at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ya Tigor (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Actually i've meant "purr feel" as just a slight vibes indicating that engine running. Pretty similar to my cats being comforted :-)

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Do not adjust throttle position sensor just yet , lots involved if you move it

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

There is the phenomena of power steering fluid ( old and worn out ) cavitating ( forming air bubbles ) on the low pressure side of the power steering pump possibly effecting the high pressure side

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

" Steering column and mirrors memory works "

it is a separate controller that controls both as a single unit in the dash

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Parker 7
Do not adjust throttle position sensor just yet , lots involved if you move it
I do not plan to do anything until i have a good reason. Although Jaguar is pretty unknown to me my qualification and experience on heavy duty trucks and Harleys make me think the regular practice "assemble the anamnesis - read the manual - ask adults for knowledge - make the differential diagnostics - have proper tools - try fix one thing a step" will work here too.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

There is a coil wire color for the back 2 cylinders ( # 5 and # 6 ) that get easily crossed

Light Green / Orange # 5

Light Green / Purple # 6

cylinders are numbered from the very front as # 1

See the following pic

The pic is more clear if you double click it

Last edited by Parker 7; Yesterday at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ya Tigor (Yesterday)
Old Today, 08:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally I run 10w40 in my XJR. Since 5w20 wasn't really around when these cars were built, it may not be the best selection, viscosity-wise.

For your trunk light issue, I'd definitely check the wiring at the hinges. I haven't had any issues on mine, but I have gathered from the forums here it is a potential point of failure.

Your seat memory issues are likely the failing potentiometers. There's a piece inside that breaks and is a well documented issue on the forums here as well. They can be repaired - I literally just went through all this just last week and got things (mostly) working again as I had the same symptoms as you. Guy on That Auction Site sells a 5pc repair kit of 3D printed parts for about $60 if you search. You likely only need to replace 4 of them as the headrest is usually a non-issue. The backrest and fore/aft lift motors can be serviced w/ the seat unbolted but in the car. The forward/back potentiometer needs to be serviced w/ the seat out of the car and the track disassembled partially. Rivet gun and two 5/32" rivets needed for that. Search on the site here and in the X308 section for seat memory stuff as those later cars suffer the same issues. There is a TSB on the forums here somewhere that gives step by step tests w/ a voltmeter if you really feel like tackling it. It's not necessarily a hard job, but a bit tricky and time-consuming. I spent a weekend on it.

The lumbar pump can be accessed w/ the seat back removed and you may have a leaking/pinched air line or air bladder. Pump is in a little cloth baggie zip tied to the seat frame. The rubber rectangle you'll see is the air bladder. My air line kept kinking, so i used some hard fuel line to sort of reinforce it to help it keep its shape.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlackSpeed66:
Parker 7 (Today), Ya Tigor (Today)
Old Today, 11:35 AM

Thanks guys for the input. Looks pretty simple to work on these cars so i will assemble everything to do it in one shot. There is a radio issue too (original looks like working only on right front channel and the display is black so i am researching now on two headunit options to replace and upgrade the whole system) so probably it would be good idea to strip the interior once and get done everything i can.

Old Today, 12:06 PM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Ya Tigor
...2) Previous owner changed the oil before sale, and it is a 5W-20. Should i change it ASAP to something heavier? I have a feel that these engines like 10w-40ish or so. Oil gauge is a bit lower than "N" cold or hot...
Best to stick with the factory specification for engine oil.