XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Squeaky Door Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Squeaky Door Question

When I bought the Jag, it always had an annoying squeak coming from the drivers side door. I've done a few temporary fixes but nothing seems to last. It seems as though someone replaced the window motor or regulator in there and didn't care to piece it back properly...there's a good 1" gap on the bottom of the door that's just pretty much open. At first, I thought it was the screw in the door handle that was causing the noise, so I wrapped the screw in plumber's tape. That worked great for a couple weeks up until the squeaky noise came back. It's a sort of metal on metal sound. Anyone else ever have this problem and how did you fix it? It may seem like a minor thing, but believe me it is EXTREMELY annoying. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTZGR777
When I bought the Jag, it always had an annoying squeak coming from the drivers side door. I've done a few temporary fixes but nothing seems to last. It seems as though someone replaced the window motor or regulator in there and didn't care to piece it back properly...there's a good 1" gap on the bottom of the door that's just pretty much open. At first, I thought it was the screw in the door handle that was causing the noise, so I wrapped the screw in plumber's tape. That worked great for a couple weeks up until the squeaky noise came back. It's a sort of metal on metal sound. Anyone else ever have this problem and how did you fix it? It may seem like a minor thing, but believe me it is EXTREMELY annoying. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
If you do find it is metal to metal and find where the metal is touching take a peice of paper and fold it up a few times. then stick it in between the where the metals are meeting. then move the door back and fourth and remove the paper. Idk if it will work but it did one a friends car so i thought id suggest it. sorry i wasnt more help.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Alternatively you can also use WD40 ,this is what I do use for squeaks and works great

Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea I'll try the WD40 although I a little afraid that it will mess something up inside the door. I'm 90% sure the squeak is coming from the actual armrest screw touching some sort of metal back there...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

WD means : water displacement which means you can use it everywhere .I also squirted a few sprays onto the electronical devices as well as fuses . Nothing bad happened lol

Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by MTZGR777
...there's a good 1" gap on the bottom of the door that's just pretty much open.
Do you mean that the door card has this gap between itself and the door metal? That is not correct.

It would suggest as you say that someone has had this off in the past.

I would remove the card (you will find info on how by doing a quick search) and then have a look inside the door.

You will see all sorts of rods etc. On of the weak points is where the rods join onto the handle and they pass very close to the metal of the door.

If someone has had a go at replacing a lock actuator or exterior door handle they will have had 'fun' replacing the latch to handle, and lock rods.

These could easily be touching the metal of the door.

To check move exterior handle up and down, lock plunger up and down etc.

If they are catching you can bend them slightly (just be careful not to break a clip).

You will also see all the electrical connectors these should be cable tied to the door metal to pevent them banging around.

Hey you might be lucky and discover that it was none of the above, and that the previous person left their Rolex inside the door!