XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Stalls from time to time on incomplete warm up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls from time to time on incomplete warm up

intermittent stalling when car is started after it's been warmed up seems to be at stat opening temp, idle drops to 300/400ron and then stalls, I have cleaned the TB, replaced the injection temp sender (got a mile per gallon more) and yesterday the IATS. I don't think that it's the TPS, the car starts and where the idle would swell upwards, it just drops off and stalls. I am wondering if the Idle Airstepper motor can bind up and cause the idle to not swell after starting up. I originally removed and cleaned the TB and learned my lessons the easy way on that subject, when I put the plunger back on the stepper motor I got it to reset by tightening the screws slowly while turning the ignition on and off. Makes me wonder if the screw and slide is binding and causing the pintle to not open up and allow air in to speed up the idle, I know that I am missing something here, I would appreciate some help. btw 1996 VDP 142,000mi It went 5 days without stalling (on not complete warm up or cold day with stat still closed) then when it got colder it would not start for the parking valet and I had to park the car while holding the idle at 700/900rom with the accelerator pedal. Tried it today after I replaced the many armed heater hose and the one from the head to the o-ring snap connector at the multi hose. it only stalls at a particular tempo, have not hooked up the autoenginuiyto see the exact temp.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 PM
RBA

I'm not a mechanic but...what about the EGR valve?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Default runs great other than the temp related problem

I really doubt that the egr valve woulde cause this, there are no mixture dilution problems nor would the egr be in play at idle, if the egr were to stick open it would just be lean lean lean and the injiction would be able to overide the lean mixture or it would not respond smoothly to throttle dosen't feel like egr to me, I wishj that it would be that simple also the temp would not make a difference in the way that it stalls