XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Starter stays engaged in Park and Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter stays engaged in Park and Neutral

'97 XJ6 123,000 miles, third owner.

The starter disengages in Drive or Reverse so I could drive all day without damaging the starter. I don't see how this could be the starter or engagement solenoid. Everything is pointing to an electrical issue.

I took apart the shifter and the interlock on the upper left was OK, as well as the micro switch on the right side. There is an electronics box mounted to the right side of the shifter so I took that off, apart, cleaned it, and found no mechanical interconnection to the shifter at all. Put it all back and the problem is still happening.

Any clue as to what to look for?

Old 04-23-2020, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 680 Posts

Shifting into gear releases pressure on the starter gear and allows it to retract.

There have been reports here of starter solenoids failing (sticking) and hanging into the flywheel gear too long. Not much of a surprise given the age of the car. Also not surprising if the starter was already replaced with a rebuilt. Those don't usually hold up, thanks in part to cheap Chinese solenoids put on rebuilts!

Start the car and immediately (and carefully) whack the starter solenoid with a broomstick from above. If it retracts, that would be a sign that the solenoid is sticking.

If you go ahead and replace the starter, get a new Bosch unit. Don't fall for the "rebuilt with lifetime warranty" scams that most auto parts stores sell you on.

Not a bad DIY job, but takes a little time and fiddling to take off the intake manifold first. Other easy but important repairs can take place then too, like the water pipe gaskets and Devil Hose under the manifold. Otherwise, doing it from underneath can be a real bear unless you have a lift.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Thanks for your response. I read on another site that a bad ignition switch coupled with a working neutral safety switch can duplicate these exact symptoms. I found a used switch for $30 delivered so will try that first.

The second thing that is pointing me to the switch is that a short while back the engine would not turn off- another possible issue with a faulty ignition switch. I was using a battery tender, leaving it attached to the battery and unplugged from the grid. When I took the tender off the problem went away. Perhaps that caused an issue with the switch, although I can't explain how.

In any event, far easier/ cheaper to replace a switch so I'll try that first.

The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (04-25-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:05 PM

Switch replaced, problem solved.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yadkin:
Cafcpete (05-05-2020), SleekJag12 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 AM
Received 259 Likes on 164 Posts

Excellent news, thanks for confirming the fix!