XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Steering on a crashed xjr 1996 model

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering on a crashed xjr 1996 model

Hi, I have a project car that has been crashed "medium" hard in the front right corner. The car lifts the body on the right front wheel about 3-4cm on when going from full left turn, to full right turn when parked on flat ground. The left front wheel also lifts slightly, but much less.
Since I never have owned one of these cars, can someone tell me their XJ /XJR move at all when you turn the wheel from full left to full right when parked?

What I know so far about the car:
* the front "HUB" casting was bent where the steering joint is connected. It's now switched out with a new hub part, new lower/upper ball joint and new steering joint.
* The large bolts trough the control arms is straight, But the stiffener bar that is between the two was bent about 10mm, This is now also new. But indicate that the bushing has been heavily compressed.

Questions:
Since the car is lifting when the wheels are turning, i think this has to do with camber, maybe a little caster. Does anyone have any comment on that theory?
The toe has been roughly adjusted and seems fine. should not have any effect on the lifting of the body through the steering.
I think maybe the controller arms may be the cause of this. Anyone that have any knowledge?

Thank you

Old 07-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thim
Hi, I have a project car that has been crashed "medium" hard in the front right corner. The car lifts the body on the right front wheel about 3-4cm on when going from full left turn, to full right turn when parked on flat ground. The left front wheel also lifts slightly, but much less.
Since I never have owned one of these cars, can someone tell me their XJ /XJR move at all when you turn the wheel from full left to full right when parked?

What I know so far about the car:
* the front "HUB" casting was bent where the steering joint is connected. It's now switched out with a new hub part, new lower/upper ball joint and new steering joint.
* The large bolts trough the control arms is straight, But the stiffener bar that is between the two was bent about 10mm, This is now also new. But indicate that the bushing has been heavily compressed.

Questions:
Since the car is lifting when the wheels are turning, i think this has to do with camber, maybe a little caster. Does anyone have any comment on that theory?
The toe has been roughly adjusted and seems fine. should not have any effect on the lifting of the body through the steering.
I think maybe the controller arms may be the cause of this. Anyone that have any knowledge?

Thank you
on my x308 the model after this it does lift when turning. Mine was never wreaked