XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Stereo Install - The Aggravation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Does anyone have step by step instructions (video would be preferable!) for how to remove the center console? Also, where are these four Phillips head screws for the seats?
check the stickies, or failing that.....search for "Ski slope" or "ski ramp" there are one or two showing that...and I should think once you have the top cover off, the rest will be fairly obvious - I've had the ski-slope, center cubby and radio all out before...haven't yet had occasion to remove the console, but think it wouldn't be too bad.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
check the stickies, or failing that.....search for "Ski slope" or "ski ramp" there are one or two showing that...and I should think once you have the top cover off, the rest will be fairly obvious - I've had the ski-slope, center cubby and radio all out before...haven't yet had occasion to remove the console, but think it wouldn't be too bad.
Oh, I've already removed the "ski slope"...everything forward of the center armrest is out as we speak. I assume we're talking about the center console aft of the armrest, which includes the rear air ducts, the little wooden ledge between the rear footwells, etc. That doesn't seem all that simple or obvious to me.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy 1

Does anyone have step by step instructions (video would be preferable!) for how to remove the center console? Also, where are these four Phillips head screws for the seats?
1st: Rear Seat Removal

1. Move both front seats to the their farthest forward position.

2. Remove both left and right rear floorboard fuse bay covers. Each is secured by a single phillips screw at it's center.

3. Near the center of each fuse bay at the top are a single phillips screw with 1" washer. Remove both screws and lift the forward face of the rear seat upwards whilst pulling towards the front of the car. It should release very easily. Remove the seat from the vehicle.

4. Near the "1/3rd" point at the lower end of the seat back are 2 phillips screws with 1" washers. Remove both screws and lift the seatback upwards. It should release very easily. Remove the seat from the vehicle.

5. Parcel shelf is unsecured and simply lifts out.

MOST IMPORTANT PART

6. Bet your neighbor a 6 pack of Samuel Adams Winter Lager that you can remove your rear seat in under 5 minutes. After winning the bet, open & drink 1 bottle and send the other 5 to me! NO COD!

I'll writeup the center console separately when I get back from dinner.

The following users liked this post:
Randy 1 (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

armrest and box under it are just 4 philips or torx screws - 2 in front at the latch and 2 at the hinge (maybe 1 or 2 more down in the bottom of the box?...nah....think it lifts out after those 4...beyond that, better wait on Suede's after-dinner act.
Sorry

Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Ok, now : CENTER CONSOLE REMOVAL

If you haven't downloaded the free X300 Service Manual, now would be a good time to do so. Locate Section H (Facia, Trim, Seats, & Fixings) I'm led to believe that some versions of the manual may alternatively list as Section 13. Goto pages 121-128. They display an exploded view of the center console and it's hardware. Since you've already removed the 'Ski Slope', we'll dispense with that instruction.

1. From the rear compartment, use a small flat screwdriver to pop off the Growler emblem (pg125 #4). Beneath the emblem is a phillips screw (pg125#5) remove this screw. The tray should now just be secured by two spring clamps left and right. Simply pull upward and remove the tray.

2. Remove the 2 screws holding the hinge of the armrest then remove the armrest.

3. Remove the carpeted inner tray (pg121#3) by lifting up.

4. Now you should be able to see the 2 spring clips which secure the rear of the console. Gently lift up the rear of the console about an inch to release the tension.

4a. As Grandell_NZ correctly points out below, use a small flathead screwdriver to pop loose the vents on the rear of the console to expose a single crew.

5. On the front lower left & right, of the console are plastic trim screws(pg121 #9). Pop those loose and peel back the carpet.

6. Mow will be exposed a single phillips screw (pg121 #12). Remove from both left and right.

7. At the top center of the console behind where you removed the HVAC Controls is a single screw (pg121 near#1)

8. Officially your supposed to remove the emergency brake handle, but that seemed pointless to me.

9. Remove the center console (or merely lift it as you find necessary and leave it much in place.

Now I don't know exactly what you've got planned, but most could be accomplished by simply removing the carpeted tray and lifting up the rear of the console. You aren't forced to remove the entire console absent some reason you've not shared???

ENJOY!!!

Last edited by Suede; 08-15-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Forgotten Step
Randy 1 (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I remember not having to remove the entire centre console, just the ski-slope, centre glove compartment, and the vents at the back. This gave access to the pozi screw securing the rear of the console, and after this was loose, there was enough room to run wires underneath the carpet, to the back seat.

If you make use of the existing wiring channels under the rear seat it makes it very simple

Randy 1 (08-14-2013)